Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 08:09 AM

12 posts, read 28,169 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the responses, as it really does help me sort this all out. I think we'll be over there in the next week or two to check out some of the neighborhoods we haven't already looked at. Getting excited to get out of dodge!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 05:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileee2 View Post
Thanks for all the responses, as it really does help me sort this all out. I think we'll be over there in the next week or two to check out some of the neighborhoods we haven't already looked at. Getting excited to get out of dodge!
On the way in...

Pick up your fresh salmon or Steelhead at the Indian Fishery (SR14) between Bridge of Gods and WA Bonneville Dan Visitor's center. I use 'Annies', to the WEST of driveway. If you don't have a grill, drop on by (We have an international listed Guest home, so LOTS of fun and free lodging! (We can consider Sandpoint as 'international!') We will have fresh berries and homemade IceCream waiting.

I highly recommend staying with locals wherever you travel to get good local advice and food.

Check out the Portland schedule for Concerts in the Park (Often one every night in a different park) Don't miss International and Peninsula Park Rose Gardens.

For CW adventures, do the Wildlife Refuge, and adjacent River bank walk (From Pendleton Parking Lot past Cottonwood Beach. Dog Park is next to BiMart. Lacamas and Round Lake trails, (woops, you may not have dogs... another poster did / will)

East is Cape Horn Trail (Hint: go from Strunk Road access if it is HOT)

Do Cape Horn for sunrise, and Oregon Vista House for Sunset (Better yet... Portland Womans overlook, 1 mile west of Vista House is where all the sunset pics of Vista House are taken)

Edgefields is nearby for a nice relaxing walk in the gardens and possibly a concert or movie. (Be sure to view the interior murals and pics of it's days as "poor Farm" (Vancouver's Poor Farm is nice too!)

Add a day in Woodland and Carrolls, WA and you can quickly go on to Castle Rock for St Helens visitors center at Silver Lake (5 min from I-5).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 07-02-2017 at 05:39 PM..

Old 11-15-2017, 03:00 PM

85 posts, read 80,605 times
Since reading the backdrop in Washougal is mainly forest... what type of predatory wild animals should be taken into consideration if deciding to choose to live here? With a toddler, just wondering how safe staying outside would be and if any serious threats are here. Is ownership of a gun needed as an insurance should a situation with wildlife occur?
Sorry for what may be a dumb question, but I have no knowledge of how to deal with wildlife...
Thank you for your response in advance !

Old 11-15-2017, 04:10 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,728,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemi View Post
Since reading the backdrop in Washougal is mainly forest... what type of predatory wild animals should be taken into consideration if deciding to choose to live here? With a toddler, just wondering how safe staying outside would be and if any serious threats are here. Is ownership of a gun needed as an insurance should a situation with wildlife occur?
Sorry for what may be a dumb question, but I have no knowledge of how to deal with wildlife...
Thank you for your response in advance !
By FAR the most dangerous animal you'll find in the woods behind Washougal is humans. Knuckleheads with guns for the most part who like to shoot up the forest service land at various ad-hoc target ranges they have made. Then there are the meth heads and tweakers living out in the woods.

As for actual animals? Most likely encounter would be with coyotes. Seeing bears or cougars would be extremely rare. This isn't Alaska brown bear country. There are are no wild animals anywhere in the Northwest that would merit arming yourself for protection.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Not to worry (if you are human), wildlife is very shy towards people (we are weird), only coyotes are predatory, especially if you have just spent $200 on your cat at the vet.

But... washougal region has bobcat, cougar, bears. (We have had each in the last month), only the 3rd bear in 27 yrs... so your chances are slim. (I’m outside all day everyday)

Of course we also have one of the highest sightings of Bigfoot in North America. Do take a picture if you see one!

Watch out for your neighbors!

Old 11-15-2017, 11:34 PM

1,517 posts, read 989,335 times
Default Phreak out!

Washougal's a [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Multiplex_System]DMS[/url] town. (WSHGWAXADS1) In today's electronic/digital telephony world DMSs are the holy grail. Being a phreak stuck in a 5ESS area sucks. 5Es are pretty much the same everywhere and they're really, really boring. I know 5E phreaks who would almost kill to be in a DMS or even 5EAX (ex-GTE) town, or have a line into one.

Not that anybody else on here probably knows or even cares.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
By FAR the most dangerous animal you'll find in the woods behind Washougal is humans. Knuckleheads with guns for the most part who like to shoot up the forest service land at various ad-hoc target ranges they have made. Then there are the meth heads and tweakers living out in the woods.

How much of a threat could this be and is it the norm rather than the exception ? Should I be concerned
with raising a toddler in Washougal ? Are there areas in Washougal that should be avoided and if so, where
would a relatively safer place exist there ?
Thank you for your input texasdiver ! It is much appreciated !

Old 11-16-2017, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Not to worry (if you are human), wildlife is very shy towards people (we are weird), only coyotes are predatory, especially if you have just spent $200 on your cat at the vet.

But... washougal region has bobcat, cougar, bears. (We have had each in the last month), only the 3rd bear in 27 yrs... so your chances are slim. (I’m outside all day everyday)

Of course we also have one of the highest sightings of Bigfoot in North America. Do take a picture if you see one!

Watch out for your neighbors!
As always, thank you StealthRabbit ! But historically, I think I may be a first cousin of "Murphy" and his
unfortunate "Law" .... sigh... and those sightings scares the eebie jeebies out of me !! I would have no idea
what to do in that situation. So with that in mind, is it a necessity for me to learn to use a firearm for insurance should I encounter one of these in my yard ? Do they mostly come out in the day or will they be curious at night too? Are there things I could do to make our yard less attractive and curious to any predatory wildlife ?

Thank you again for your insightful responses whenever I ask my "dumb" questions ! Really appreciate you!

Watch out for your neighbors ? Is that the REAL threat really ?

Old 11-16-2017, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
Washougal's a DMS town. (WSHGWAXADS1) In today's electronic/digital telephony world DMSs are the holy grail. Being a phreak stuck in a 5ESS area sucks. 5Es are pretty much the same everywhere and they're really, really boring. I know 5E phreaks who would almost kill to be in a DMS or even 5EAX (ex-GTE) town, or have a line into one.

Not that anybody else on here probably knows or even cares.
Thanks Ttark for that info ! I think that means its a good thing...

Old 11-16-2017, 01:54 AM

Sorry Smileee2... didn't mean to hijack your thread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area