Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 08:33 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,447,633 times

Advertisements

Hm, I eat Whataburgers regularly and have no problem whatsoever. Are you sure it's not something like the time that I had my very first Vanilla Malt, and then came down with the stomach flu within hours, and blamed it on Vanilla Malts (not chocolate ones, mind) for years thereafter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 09:36 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,515,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Hm, I eat Whataburgers regularly and have no problem whatsoever. Are you sure it's not something like the time that I had my very first Vanilla Malt, and then came down with the stomach flu within hours, and blamed it on Vanilla Malts (not chocolate ones, mind) for years thereafter?
That happened to me too, only in was Rice Krispies Treats and appendicitis. Went for years before I could eat Rice Krispies again.

Back on topic, don't have that problem with Whataburger either. These In-N-Out threads make me crave burgers. If In-N-Out ever does come to Texas, it'd better be the best fast food burger I've ever had or I'm going to be very resentful over reading all these threads and wishing for burgers!

Old 04-07-2010, 01:16 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,256,551 times
I haven't eaten an apple pie from McDonalds since the time I had a violent reaction in my stomach from them and was vomiting all over the place when I was 4 years old.

That was almost 25 years ago, and I still haven't touched an apple pie from McDonalds ever since.

As for Whataburger, that's what I get for having Whataburger in Mississippi rather than in Texas itself I guess.

Back on topic - I thought the issue regarding In-N-Out Burger and their expansion was that they won't really be able to expand from the area they're in now due to the fact that their meat is refrigerated and can only last so long. Expanding to Texas would be pushing it a bit. And they have had a slow-growth business model that has worked for them this far. In a way, I'm sort of happy that they aren't beyond the West Coast. Something about what makes many places special becomes lost when they overexpand. Remember when Krispy Kreme Donuts were all the rage for awhile? They overexpanded, many of them shut down as a result, and the company hasn't been the same since. Who thought that opening a Krispy Kreme in Boston, the land of Dunkin Donuts was a good idea? Imagine Krispy Kreme coming in on Shipley Donut territory in Houston . K-K pulled out of Houston by 2006, right?

Old 04-07-2010, 03:32 PM

29 posts, read 122,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I haven't eaten an apple pie from McDonalds since the time I had a violent reaction in my stomach from them and was vomiting all over the place when I was 4 years old.

That was almost 25 years ago, and I still haven't touched an apple pie from McDonalds ever since.

As for Whataburger, that's what I get for having Whataburger in Mississippi rather than in Texas itself I guess.

Back on topic - I thought the issue regarding In-N-Out Burger and their expansion was that they won't really be able to expand from the area they're in now due to the fact that their meat is refrigerated and can only last so long. Expanding to Texas would be pushing it a bit. And they have had a slow-growth business model that has worked for them this far. In a way, I'm sort of happy that they aren't beyond the West Coast. Something about what makes many places special becomes lost when they overexpand. Remember when Krispy Kreme Donuts were all the rage for awhile? They overexpanded, many of them shut down as a result, and the company hasn't been the same since. Who thought that opening a Krispy Kreme in Boston, the land of Dunkin Donuts was a good idea? Imagine Krispy Kreme coming in on Shipley Donut territory in Houston . K-K pulled out of Houston by 2006, right?
The refrigeration issue may be why they're taking so long to build infrastructure in Dallas.

As far as KK goes, yes, they pulled out of the Houston market, but only because the franchisee (Lone Star Donuts) and KK got into a legal fight. The result of the settlement allowed Lone Star Donuts to drop the KK franchises. KK hasn't returned because no one else has picked up the franchise here, not because of Shipleys. Honestly, I know many people here in Houston (including myself) that don't like Shipleys and or MUCH prefer Krispy Kreme.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:09 PM

307 posts, read 1,098,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Braums, Beck's Prime (EXPENSIVE), and lots of other places are good. Whataburger is supposedly the equivalent to In-And-Out and those two are often compared a lot.

I've had both in the past month.

Whataburger is one step above McDonalds.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:14 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,778,033 times
I like Braums better than Whataburger. Braums has good ice cream products for cheap. For the quality of the ice cream and what they offer, it doesnt get too much better than that.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:22 PM

148 posts, read 358,715 times
I love both Whataburger and In and Out Burger. I have eaten at In and Out three times in Las Vegas. The first time I ate there, I thought it was the best burger that I had ever had. The second time, it was not as great as I remembered--think I built it up a little too much in my mind. The last time (November) it was good. But I would have a hard time choosing between the two if both were available.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:31 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,022,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I like Braums better than Whataburger. Braums has good ice cream products for cheap. For the quality of the ice cream and what they offer, it doesnt get too much better than that.
Their milk is also the best I've ever tasted. Not that watered down Oak Farms crap.

Braums milk is all I usually buy now, unless I'm at Wal-Mart already then its Bordens.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:32 PM

4,440 posts, read 6,318,396 times
Braums does have the best fast food burger and fries in Dallas.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:34 AM

848 posts, read 2,129,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmagana View Post
I wouldn't mind if they showed up in Texas... that means they'd probably show up in New Mexico as well. =)

Regarding all the In 'N' Out rumors though... there is a thread similar to this with rumors of new openings on the Albuquerque board and on a Florida board. Seems everyone wants In 'N' Out. =)

Nothing against Whataburger, White Castle or any other regional favorites, but SoCal really has the burger thing down in my opinion. So many national chains have come from there, not to mention all of the great mom and pop burger places on every corner. Los Angeles might not have pizza like New York or BBQ like Kansas City, but they do burgers like no other.
In N Out was fun for a few times. Good food. Love the novelty fries.

But I preferred the bad, bad decadence of Carl's Jr.

Whataburger is a different taste. Mustard. Size. The toppings. Fresh too. I love Whataburger.

Having lived in SoCal for four years, I must say that burgers there are no match for what's here in Texas overall. Miller's, Beck's, even small town Texas Burger burgers are more than a match for an In N Out burger, in my opinion.

On the other hand, decent sushi in Texas now but still quite better in California. I still love some of those corner sushi joints I visited in Gardena, Torrance and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas