Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 10:50 AM

13,905 posts, read 3,378,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Frankly, All I do is listen to WDVX which plays regional, alt-country, bluegrass, and intrumental music. I like SOME new country but can't stand some of the songs that border on the line of being silly and meaningless. I will admit that I think TN has a great thing going on in terms of having a rather cool character. It's the home to nashville and country music not to mention Memphis. That's better than say- Ohio. I was sitting and watching the CMT awards last night. It wasn't as flashy as the awards they have in LA, but for a smaller city, I'd say Nashville has it's own share of coolness factor. I was quite proud.Made me homesick. Stupid California.
Oh, I know some of them seem silly but that's part of the reason I like them. In todays world with struggling just to make ends meet I need every excuse to smile I can find. I have a 15 yr old step daughter who would never consider even listening to anything country until one day she was in the living room doing homework and I was in the kitchen cooking. I had a country station playing and she was tolerating it for me. Until the song came on "I'm gonna miss her". She started laughing out loud. I said "See country music is just fun. I don't know how many of you are familiar with "EMO" music. Well, basically it's "my life sucks, it's your fault so I'm going to hurt myself" crap. Most depressing thing I ever heard. Imagine what listening to that stuff everyday will do to you. Becky was depressed at one point and had filled her I-Pod with the stuff. Her I-Pod ceased working. I told her it got so depressed it committed suicide. Anyway now her I-Pod is half filled with country music. Of course it dosen't hurt that her name is Becky and it's in about half the songs. She gets a big kick out of that. I would much, much, much rather she listen to silly country music than violent, depressing stuff. Just like every generation, kids have their own music so if their listening to New Country be very, very glad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen1972 View Post
I am not a big country music fan, however I will have my sirius satalite radio on at all times, therefore getting any type of music 24/7 (including elvis)!
Oh, me too!!! Tune into channel 6-New Country. Really it's great

Old 04-20-2007, 11:59 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,789,308 times
I guess for me as someone who grew up in TN my attitude is a little different because unlike many states, TN is saturated with country which I guess makes sense because it is home to country music. The school bus I rode: always on the country station. Eating at Cracker Barrel, Waffle House, Hardees: Country music on the sound system. Wal-Mart: country. There were over 5 country stations on the FM dial. Probably 10-15 on AM. So I grew up with the stuff. I got so sick of it that I never listened to anything country until I actually moved somewhere that plays very little of it. Suddenly, a very prominent part of my everyday living experience was gone and I actually missed it. So then I got into country, but started with Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, and Waylon Jennings. Then I moved on to people like Tod Snider, Darryl Scott, The Derailers, James Mcmurtry, and so on. There is one country station in the Bay Area and the last one got shut down. So when I come home to visit, It is refreshing to walk into Wal-Mart and hear Rascal Flatts on the PA!

Old 04-20-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
I guess for me as someone who grew up in TN my attitude is a little different because unlike many states, TN is saturated with country which I guess makes sense because it is home to country music. The school bus I rode: always on the country station. Eating at Cracker Barrel, Waffle House, Hardees: Country music on the sound system. Wal-Mart: country. There were over 5 country stations on the FM dial. Probably 10-15 on AM. So I grew up with the stuff. I got so sick of it that I never listened to anything country until I actually moved somewhere that plays very little of it. Suddenly, a very prominent part of my everyday living experience was gone and I actually missed it. So then I got into country, but started with Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, and Waylon Jennings. Then I moved on to people like Tod Snider, Darryl Scott, The Derailers, James Mcmurtry, and so on. There is one country station in the Bay Area and the last one got shut down. So when I come home to visit, It is refreshing to walk into Wal-Mart and hear Rascal Flatts on the PA!
I can understand that. I grew up a long ways from Nashville so I heard very little of it. Country music, though, reaches country people no matter where they live. The life style that country music captures is the essence of country living be it in Tennessee or Maine and NH. Believe it or not things aren't that much different. There might be a southern drawl and different names for things but the type of living is the same.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:07 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,805,083 times
I grew up listening to country music from my mom and dad. My mom is a WV hillbilly and proud of it, so we'll run down to WV outside of Fairmont and listen to the bands play every Saturday nite.

I have eclectic taste in music, tho, can and do listen to anything and everything except rap. When it comes to c&w music, I'll only listen to the oldies, like Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, etc. IMHO, modern c&w isn't real c&w anymore. It's Nashville music. And I will NOT listen to or buy Dixie Chicks, or support their agenda.

When I was a youngster, we'd go to the local county fair, where Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton and Porter Wagner, etc would be playing. They'd come out and talk with the fans then.

LOL... I even listen to Heavy Metal, and blast Metallica, techno rock, as well as Phantom of the Opera, movie soundtracks, Mozart, Grieg, Patsy Cline, Gloria Estefan, Il Divo, Michael Card, and classic rock from the 50's and 60's. I love Blue Grass music, and always want to jump in with the cloggers! But, then again, I love Lord of the Dance and Riverdance, and want to jump in with the Irish dancers, too! I watch 'Dancing with the Stars' on tv, and would really love to learn to dance like that.

Well, startin' to ramble, here, so I'll stop now, and start dreaming again about a fresh tomato sandwich.....

blessings, Shen

Old 04-20-2007, 07:08 PM

81 posts, read 309,130 times
I like a wide variety of music and frequently listen to the same station for a while and then switch. I love blue grass, for me it is just FUN good ole toe tapping music. I enjoy soft rock (LOL) can't really say I care for the hard stuff or rap but it has more to do with lyrics than the beat...I also enjoy good vintage and modern gospel music. The only kind I just don't "get" is jazz. My husband goes nuts for the stuff and to me it's about as exciting as watching paint dry! I can even get into some opra but just have to pass on the jazz. Can't wait to get there and here authentic blue grass and folk music. I enjoy watching the dancing that goes with them as well!!!
Good subject for discussion.

Last edited by ALML; 04-20-2007 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-20-2007, 07:22 PM

117 posts, read 488,472 times
[quote=Queen1972;603888]I am not a big country music fan, however I will have my sirius satalite radio on at all times, therefore getting any type of music 24/7 (including elvis)!

I need to start listening a little more to country music, I went through the country music hall of fame in nashville and RCA studio B and that really was fascinating to me. Did anyone watch American Idol Weds? Martine Mcbride was performing and I would love to know what song she was singing, it was awesome and I really loved the lyrics, I think I may actually buy that CD, whoa!!!!

Old 04-20-2007, 07:52 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
I think "Idol" is awful this season. However, Martina was one bright spot. I believe she sang "Anyway."

When I lived in Mass. I was a country music critic for the paper. We have a country music venue there and I was fortunate to interview or review many people. So yes, country is around in a lot of places, especially small towns.

In fact, I'm surprised that Knoxville does not have more country music stations. I think "Merle" is a great addition. Prior to that, it was sadly lacking. In fact, the town I lived in Florida had MORE country music stations.

There seems to be more Christian stations then country music stations.

WDVX is great.

By the way, I got to meet Kris Kristopherson, when I had that job. This was in the 1980s. He was not that handsome in person. He looked really rough. He was coked out of his mind at the time, but was saying publicly that he had quit drugs. Anyway, he was absolutely brilliant and a very nice person. Years later, I saw an interview where he admitted that he had lied for years about being off drugs.

I met Tanya Tucker and she was really drunk.

Glen Campbell was kind of a stiff. He had on the "Top Gun" aviator glasses, with the suit and red 1980s "power" tie. I said so in my review.

Marie Osmond was absolutely beautiful and very friendly.

Tammy Wynette was a lady through and through.

Roy Clark acted like he was your next door neighbor, a genuinely nice man. I felt like I could ask to borrow his lawnmower and he would be happy to oblige.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:59 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,218,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I met Tanya Tucker and she was really drunk.
What a surprise. ;-)

Old 04-20-2007, 08:04 PM

[quote=Queen1972;606211]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen1972 View Post
I am not a big country music fan, however I will have my sirius satalite radio on at all times, therefore getting any type of music 24/7 (including elvis)!

I need to start listening a little more to country music, I went through the country music hall of fame in nashville and RCA studio B and that really was fascinating to me. Did anyone watch American Idol Weds? Martine Mcbride was performing and I would love to know what song she was singing, it was awesome and I really loved the lyrics, I think I may actually buy that CD, whoa!!!!
Heh! Heh! Watch out!! It'll get ya!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee