Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 08:05 PM

13,359 posts, read 40,014,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
but you do not want a storm like this. 60 counties in Eastern Iowa have been declared Disaster Areas. 140,000 without power initially. Thousands are not going to have power restored for a week or more, from today. And another storm is coming tomorrow that might be a repeat. Not a good thing.
You're right, I don't want THAT much snow. (But it is beautiful...)

Old 02-27-2007, 09:49 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,083,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Great pictures! It's very beautiful, and I wish we'd get just one--JUST ONE--good snowstorm here. We've had snowstorms before in the month of March, but I'm willing to bet we're done for the year. sigh

I think Spring is in the air also JMT.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:11 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,345,480 times
Yes. The daffodils are blooming here, too.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:13 AM

13,359 posts, read 40,014,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrod View Post
I will say that while Shuler is culturally conservative, he is solidly pro-labor. His first speech after his election was with new Ohio Senator Sherrod Brown and some Teamster head. The race over there had to do with economics, not culture.
Of course Shuler is pro labor. He made a fortune in the NFL but didn't produce anything that anyone wanted. Sounds just like the UAW...

I was glad to see him leave Tennessee and move back to NC, even if he did it just to run for Congress.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:25 AM

60 posts, read 344,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Of course Shuler is pro labor. He made a fortune in the NFL but didn't produce anything that anyone wanted. Sounds just like the UAW...

I was glad to see him leave Tennessee and move back to NC, even if he did it just to run for Congress.
Is he behind "Heath Shuler Real Estate"? I would assume so. He was truly awful on the Washington Redskins. One of the greatest busts in recent NFL history.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:05 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,345,480 times
Same dude.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:27 AM

421 posts, read 1,692,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOVIN-n-012 View Post
LauraC,
I think you forgot one of the main reasons people are on the fence about TN, That lack of divercity will do it every time........ East TN clocking in at 94% white?? It keeps me up at night just wondering what its like and if this ol NY prison CO can adjust
GUARANTEE you can adjust! That percentage is a huge area.In the cities the #'s are better.Especially in college towns like Johnson City.You'll love it & won't have any problem!
If you want to be in TN with more diversity,generally the further west,the more diversity(excluding the Cumberland Plateau,with the exception of Cookeville!).

Welcome MOVIN-n-012!

firepower

Old 03-02-2007, 02:11 AM

246 posts, read 1,058,137 times
Default highliner

I've been trying to relocate to the Chattanooga area- yes, I know its humid and hot, and I love it so- and would like to know if there are any areas to avoid, insofar as rental properties go. My professional background is mainly law enforcement and transportation, so I'd want to stay out of places where that would make me unwelcome. Any help would be greatly appreciated. P.S. I want to rent somewhere within 15 miles of Silverdale Prison CCA, if that helps.

Old 03-03-2007, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,256 times
Default Great Reasons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
These things make places bearable for people but I'm waiting to read more posts of people who are moving to Tennessee FOR the culture, not people who are moving to Tennessee hoping people will tolerate them and their ideas.

So tell me, who is coming to East Tennessee because -

You want to hunt and/or fish more often?

You want to be a part of a church community lifestyle? (meaning your religious institution is more than a building where you attend services once in awhile - it is also an avenue to socialize and do good deeds in the community)?

You want to celebrate traditional religious holidays like Christmas, for example, or patriotic holidays like Memorial Day or 4th of July beyond having a day off from work or going to sales at the stores? (parades, events)?

You want to hear more country, bluegrass, gospel or blues music than you hear now? You want to learn some southern dances?

The idea of eating traditional southern dishes or something you've caught or shot appeals to you?

You want to spend more time with your ATV, racing or truck? Or, you are looking to buy one/participate in related activies/events?

You want to belong to some group after you get to Tennessee that has to do with nature and/or nature related sports (hiking, rafting, birding, etc.)?

You think a person's property is his to do with as he pleases?

You like to swim in lakes and/or swimming holes?

You like the school rules, the school curriculum, the school activities more than the place you left?

You want to marry a southern man or a southern woman raised in Tennessee or have friends who are Tennessee natives?

You want the town you are looking at, to stay exactly like it is now and not looking at the town for what it could be once more transplants arrive?
You may have just convinced me that my upcoming move to TN is the right decision. I am a 33yo accountant (almost a CPA), originally from IN, who has lived in CO for the past several years. Although I have loved my time in CO, you have accurately listed some of the big reasons I would like to leave.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:36 PM

39 posts, read 186,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
but you do not want a storm like this. 60 counties in Eastern Iowa have been declared Disaster Areas. 140,000 without power initially. Thousands are not going to have power restored for a week or more, from today. And another storm is coming tomorrow that might be a repeat. Not a good thing.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k315/Tek_Freek/upload03.jpg (broken link)

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k315/Tek_Freek/upload04.jpg (broken link)
yep, we live in west/central Illinois, and we lost power for 19 hours, our county was declared a disaster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee