Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 06:29 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,425,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Tennessee is the light at the end of the tunnel.

Do to the state (Florida) of econmy, the light at the end of the tunnel will be put out.
I don't know about that. I wouldn't move to Tennessee just because of economic reasons. One must really sit down and put on paper exactly what is important. Money is very important but don't base moving your entire family on it. Research the area and lifestyle before doing so, otherwise you will be very frustrated with your decision.

WE hear a lot of complaints on this forum also, some of it from people that haven't even moved here yet.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:57 PM

52 posts, read 154,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm thinking of taking a vacation in Florida next year wearing a tee shirt that says "OAK RIDGE - HOME OF NUKES!" Every once and awhile I'll twitch for the desired effect.

I say we keep talking about snakes, spiders, coyotes, bats...have to think about some previous threads...tornadoes, earthquakes, icy curvy mountain roads, traffic, air quality in Knoxville, not enough sunny days...still thinking...people who invite you to church against your will and/or people that are tooooo nice so you suspect ulterior motives, people who socialize with their church meaning you are left out, "stupid" dry counties, corporal punishment in schools, jailing bad parents with absentee kids, schools that don't take your parental "helpful suggestions"...no gun control, smoking all over the place so you might have to take your business elsewhere, watermelon seed spitting contests, square/buck dancing, rampant Yankee baiting/teasing/ignoring even though you're so wonderful/smarter/tolerant than them, predominantly Republican registered East Tennessee, hunting, no Meagers or whatever the name of that store was that started with an M...still thinking...I CAN'T BELIEVE THERE'S A TAX ON FOOD! even though I don't pay state income tax, some places with no broadband, "good old boys" only get hired and they passed up my sterling "I'm a highly educated professional" 20 different jobs resume to hire a guy who has lived here all of his life, not enough high-end retail stores, lower wage jobs, polite men that treat you like a lady and you don't know how to handle that, non diet conscious people who offend your eyesight, people with missing teeth that offend your eyesight, people with southern accents that offend your ears, men who sit in pick up trucks and, you know, sit there, too many country music stations...and HORRORS, poor people that have lived there all the years of their life who might be living in the general vicinity of where you want to build a house.

Have I missed anything?
so whats the problem?? sounds like fun to me!!...(of course I live in hillbilly heaven ohio...)

Old 02-25-2007, 09:19 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,100,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I don't know about that. I wouldn't move to Tennessee just because of economic reasons. One must really sit down and put on paper exactly what is important. Money is very important but don't base moving your entire family on it. Research the area and lifestyle before doing so, otherwise you will be very frustrated with your decision.

WE hear a lot of complaints on this forum also, some of it from people that haven't even moved here yet.

"Do to the state (Florida) of econmy, the light at the end of the tunnel will be put out"
This means that Florida can not keep the light at the end of the tunnel lit any longer with it's present economy.
I moved here and economy was one of the major factors in my decision.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:20 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,057,161 times
Quote:

I agree about writing down what people should expect when making a major move. Things like jobs, housing/apartment prices, schools, neighborhoods, shopping areas, public transportation (or lack thereof), taxes, pests (if you have an aversion to certain types of bugs), year round weather, etc., should all be INVESTIGATED before moving to a new location. You can't go by why "others" have moved here. It may not jibe with your own motives.

Most people are moving to Tennessee for the low cost of living and beautiful scenery. Many are coming from the big cities and tired of struggling to survive. But guess what? What do you think is going to happen to Tennessee in a few years with the new influx of city people moving in? Taxes will rise, schools will become overcrowded, new housing developments will be built with horrible homeowner association's running things, congestion on the roads, and Emiminent Domain laws will be enforced to the max.

Eminent Domain (for those that don't know) means the local government can legally steal your land if it's a visual blight on the community. You'll be forced to sell it to them whether you want to or not. They in turn sell it to the business of their choice that will help improve the economy and esthetic look of the area. More information about Eminent Domain here: http://bmonday.com/archive/2005/11/03/2847.aspx (broken link) .

Basically everything you call yourselves running away from in your current respective cities will be replicated in your new neighborhoods. If you're smart, you'll buy property or homes by coastal or lake areas. Buy low now, then sell high later.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:24 PM

6 posts, read 18,136 times
Well, if they are at Ft. Campbell......consider moving to Joelton TN. Zip code 37080........

It is a wonderful rural area......yet 10-15 minutes from Nashville.

Good luck!

Old 02-25-2007, 09:48 PM

74 posts, read 234,917 times
LauraC,
I think you forgot one of the main reasons people are on the fence about TN, That lack of divercity will do it every time........ East TN clocking in at 94% white?? It keeps me up at night just wondering what its like and if this ol NY prison CO can adjust

Old 02-26-2007, 06:00 AM

37,823 posts, read 41,141,767 times
Quote:
You missed the hunting. How could you forget the hunting? Oh, and the lack of bus service and cowboy outfits.

Boy, that list just keeps getting longer.

Exactly why is it these people want to move here?

Oh, that right, it's all about money.
I didn't forget the hunting. It's between predominantly Republican and No Meagers (or whatever the name of that store is that starts with an M).

And why do many people want to move to TN? Escape from whatever ails them where they live now without a lot of thought for what they are moving to, other than that it's cheap and pretty. Perhaps when they get to TN they will reflect on what created the conditions in the places they fled so they don't create the same conditions in TN.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:14 AM

71 posts, read 252,822 times
Default Speaking of hunting . . .

Wait till they find out that children -- girls as well as boys -- go out hunting as young as 7 or 8 years old! You see pictures of them in the local newspapers with their "first deer". Talk about "culture shock"!

Old 02-26-2007, 06:53 AM

37,823 posts, read 41,141,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I agree about writing down what people should expect when making a major move. Things like jobs, housing/apartment prices, schools, neighborhoods, shopping areas, public transportation (or lack thereof), taxes, pests (if you have an aversion to certain types of bugs), year round weather, etc., should all be INVESTIGATED before moving to a new location. You can't go by why "others" have moved here. It may not jibe with your own motives.
These things make places bearable for people but I'm waiting to read more posts of people who are moving to Tennessee FOR the culture, not people who are moving to Tennessee hoping people will tolerate them and their ideas.

So tell me, who is coming to East Tennessee because -

You want to hunt and/or fish more often?

You want to be a part of a church community lifestyle? (meaning your religious institution is more than a building where you attend services once in awhile - it is also an avenue to socialize and do good deeds in the community)?

You want to celebrate traditional religious holidays like Christmas, for example, or patriotic holidays like Memorial Day or 4th of July beyond having a day off from work or going to sales at the stores? (parades, events)?

You want to hear more country, bluegrass, gospel or blues music than you hear now? You want to learn some southern dances?

The idea of eating traditional southern dishes or something you've caught or shot appeals to you?

You want to spend more time with your ATV, racing or truck? Or, you are looking to buy one/participate in related activies/events?

You want to belong to some group after you get to Tennessee that has to do with nature and/or nature related sports (hiking, rafting, birding, etc.)?

You think a person's property is his to do with as he pleases?

You like to swim in lakes and/or swimming holes?

You like the school rules, the school curriculum, the school activities more than the place you left?

You want to marry a southern man or a southern woman raised in Tennessee or have friends who are Tennessee natives?

You want the town you are looking at, to stay exactly like it is now and not looking at the town for what it could be once more transplants arrive?

Old 02-26-2007, 06:58 AM

14 posts, read 69,807 times
Okay, I grew up in Michigan and have lived all over Florida. I now reside in Miami (job).

We are moving to TN (west TN, btw) because -

1. People are amazingly friendly
2. Reminds us of Michigan but not as cold
3. More affordable for retirement
4. Hunting and lots of space

We love it for what it is and don't intend to change a thing (though we probably won't get into discussions about politics or religion. That's always a good idea wherever you are ;>)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee