Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 02:37 PM

451 posts, read 1,372,273 times

Advertisements

I dare say that just about any rural community in TN can rest easy sleeping with open windows. Doors might be a different story, just depending..... Several mornings i've wakened to find that my grown son forgot to close the inside door when he came in from work the night before... Everything is copacetic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 04:17 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,241,244 times
Coming from a rural area I'd advise against it. I can't speak for other parts of Tennessee but leaving your doors unlocked is just foolish. Maybe you can leave your second-story window open if you like fresh air, but "menace" is everywhere in this world.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,407 times
god dang you people in TN. i live in florida and want to move north. this is the devils armpit. my windows stay locked and my kids stay inside. that just aint right!!!!!!!

Old 10-12-2010, 04:49 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,251,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
It's 51 right now, but will get to 83 today. I have two windows open right now. I'll shut them up about late morning. We have 24 tall, tall trees on the lot and it will stay cool in here. Then I'll open the windows tonight.

There was a day last week that it only got up into the high 50s, I think, and into the low 40s at night. I had the windows shut then!

And with me, you never know. My thyroid is out of whack and I could be hot one day and frozen to the bone the next.

We forget to shut doors all the time. My husband leaves the keys in his car, too. I constantly have to tell him to knock it off. He's from Florida before it was invaded and he can be too trusting.

lol, before it was invaded.

Our house, being built in 1902, was sited properly on the property, to take advantage of the breezes and sun- and surrounded by maples. They greatly contribute to the cooling in the summer, but also, unfortunately, contribute greatly to the cooling in the spring/fall/winter too. I actually have to open windows to warm up on days like yesterday. If I didn't, it'd stay low 60s in here all day. Add that to three rooms we haven't re-floored yet, rooms with just the original flooring with no subs (winter floor temps in those rooms are clocked in the mid to low 40s).... and we're really, really glad we installed CH&A systems.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Brrr... you guys are freezing me to death. It was cold last night and it still feels chilly inside. I don't see how anyone sleeps with windows open. Whenever I've done that I have a sore throat or cough the next morning.

Where are you from, originally? I usually wake with sore throat after sleeping with the windows open too- but it's gone within an hour or so. I was just glad to shut the air off and not run the system for a while,

Old 10-12-2010, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnysboys View Post
god dang you people in TN. i live in florida and want to move north. this is the devils armpit. my windows stay locked and my kids stay inside. that just aint right!!!!!!!
So figure out what you need in your new home, do a little research and head on up- we'll give you a free pass to the Dangit, I Left My Doors Open- AGAIN club.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:15 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
So figure out what you need in your new home, do a little research and head on up- we'll give you a free pass to the Dangit, I Left My Doors Open- AGAIN club.

Welcome to the forum.
Lord knows you were all kind enough to do it for us.

Come on up, johnnysboys. Best thing I ever did was get out of Florida.

mtneer, I'm originally from New England and had frugal parents. I suspect I'm use to sleeping in the freezing cold. And in Florida they blast that air day and night, because as johnnysboys can attest to, it isn't safe to open those windows.

jab, this is the only place I've ever lived that, depending on the county, it is safer living in the inner city rather than the woods. You people that live in said counties know exactly what I am talking about.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:32 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Coming from a rural area I'd advise against it. I can't speak for other parts of Tennessee but leaving your doors unlocked is just foolish. Maybe you can leave your second-story window open if you like fresh air, but "menace" is everywhere in this world.
I live in a rural area. I dont even know for sure where my house key is.

I left the window open last night, it was a bit warm, and was awaken by terrible screams coming from outside. Then I heard the dogs barking and realized it was the coyotes. There getting a little tooo close for my liking.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:10 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I live in a rural area. I dont even know for sure where my house key is.

I left the window open last night, it was a bit warm, and was awaken by terrible screams coming from outside. Then I heard the dogs barking and realized it was the coyotes. There getting a little tooo close for my liking.
It definitely depends on the county.

Eek, regarding the coyotes.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:17 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,192,458 times
Slept with all the windows in the house open last night...might be too cool to do so tonight.

No sore throats. Most winters where I grew up, and inch or two of ice would form on my windowsill over the winter. Guessing they weren't too airtight..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee