Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 08:18 AM

254 posts, read 211,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinityjoy View Post
I know there are lots of people that wanna know this same question, but we are within about six months from the move and last night as iI went to bed the smell of freash air came acroos my face and I thought "oh no, out of all the questions I have thought to ask this one is the most important" We are really leaning toward the knoxville area I really am finding alot of good things about Maryville too. So are there certain places that you can sleep without fear of waking up and finding someone has gone through your house?
I don't think a town like that exists anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 08:34 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
I live in Murfreesboro and the main reason I don't sleep with the windows open is because of the noise, not intruders. However, someone sneaking into the house does factor into it a little, because I don't have fixed screens on my house. Instead, I have adjustable, removable screens that could easily be removed silently, whereas getting through a fixed screen would probably make more noise. And I'm a pretty light sleeper.

As far as crime goes, I've accidentally left the back door unlocked, left for a couple of hours, and come home with nothing stolen. Once I accidentally left my shed door wide open, with the contents visible from the street and several expensive bicycles (among other things) inside. I left for several hours and didn't notice the open door until I got back, but nothing was missing. I guess it also depends on what part of town you live in. My neighborhood is on the lower end of the financial spectrum, but it's not at all a "rough" neighborhood. But it is right in the middle of town. I guess the neighborhood is nice enough that we don't have many shady characters hanging around, but not so nice that anyone thinks we have anything worth stealing.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:59 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprague and Henwood View Post
I don't think a town like that exists anymore.
Thanks--I didn't realize how close a call we just had. Just got back from church and we'd left the windows open and the doors unlocked. Everything was right where we left it.

Phew, that was a close one!

Old 10-10-2010, 12:58 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Thanks--I didn't realize how close a call we just had. Just got back from church and we'd left the windows open and the doors unlocked. Everything was right where we left it.

Phew, that was a close one!
I know. I kind of thought the same thing. I think it comes down to people's perceptions and some real situations.

Stats are tough, because they can be really, really skewed, but some places do have more crime than others.

Where I was born and raised, there is not a lot of crime. And that is more than my perception. I was the crime reporter.

When I moved to Florida I often thought that it didn't matter if folks had to keep everything air-tight and sit in the A/C for most of the year because it wasn't safe to keep your windows open, anyway. That was a huge culture shock for me.

But some people can have little crime in their town but if they don't feel safe, hey, they are not sleeping with the windows open. And yes, in the middle of the last century in the middle of nowhere a family was slaughtered and Truman Capote became famous. No place is safe, really. But, to me, sleeping with the windows open is a relatively safe affair where I now live. It's not foolproof but we are probably fine. You have to live your life happy or what is the point?

Old 10-10-2010, 01:56 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
I wish i could sleep with the windows open --- This year it went from too hot even at night to cool nights where I want to conserve the heat inside the house. Maybe next week I'll get to leave the window open overnight.

I don't worry about crime because i live in a scary neighborhood -- the criminals are scared of my neighbors!

Old 10-10-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I wish i could sleep with the windows open --- This year it went from too hot even at night to cool nights where I want to conserve the heat inside the house. Maybe next week I'll get to leave the window open overnight.

I don't worry about crime because i live in a scary neighborhood -- the criminals are scared of my neighbors!
We live in the same city. I slept with my window open last night. Several weeks ago I started sleeping with the windows open, and then last week it got too cold, but it was nice with the window open, last night. It was 81 degrees yesterday and today. It's going to get down to 50 tonight and be in the 50s every night next week. I like it cold when I sleep.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:39 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I know. I kind of thought the same thing. I think it comes down to people's perceptions and some real situations.
You're absolutely right--that is often the case.

Most studies over the last 20 years have shown that most people believe that it is more dangerous today than 10, 15, 20, 25 years ago while the crime stats in nearly every category show the reality to be the opposite.

I think the 24 hours national news coverage is much to blame for this. We hear today of every thing done wrong in the other side of the nation when we didn't used to.

I know when I left my windows up and doors unlocked when I leave the house that I could come back to a ransacked house. However, where I live, odds are I won't. Besides, where I am, if someone wanted in bad enough, locked up or not, they're going to get in and chances are no one would see. And, then I would not only come home to a ransacked house, but one with damaged doors or windows.

And, again you're right...no place on earth is absolutely safe. Heck, life isn't safe. Living is hazardous to your health.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:40 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

I wonder what else everyone does. Do you all leave your doors open during the day? For instance, my husband and kid just left to go pick up pizzas. I'm sitting here with two doors wide open. Would you all lock the doors? Do you keep them locked during the day?
You leave doors wide open? I would never do that for fear of what the electric/gas bill would be. That and letting in the dang mosquitoes!

Old 10-10-2010, 05:44 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
If I left a window open, I would be more worried about waking up with a raccoon in the bed with me than someone going thru my house.
No kidding! I know someone in Roane Co who left the windows wide open to air out the house while they were doing spring cleaning. The next morning they found a opposum had set up housekeeping in their linen closet!

Old 10-10-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
You leave doors wide open? I would never do that for fear of what the electric/gas bill would be. That and letting in the dang mosquitoes!
The inside door not the storm door, silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee