Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 11:55 AM

42,041 posts, read 75,490,597 times

Advertisements

I'd wait until I moved. Assuming your Toyota will hang in there awhile longer, you'll have the luxury of waiting until you find the car you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 12:00 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,482,990 times
I would buy where you find the vehicle, looking for a wagon, in an area where you may know more about the local dealership groups. For example, in NOVA, the Subaru of Herndon and Tysons Corner is well regarded by people I know, whereas other dealership groups may not be as great. Falls Church also has a good Subaru dealer, and they have multiple locations. Even if you cannot find the vehicle, some of the dealers will be able to track down an Impreza with the options that you want from another dealership.

If you have good local resources in Vermont and know the dealers, then I would buy there for convenience. I do not think a Corolla is substantially more valuable in the DC region, but there are more buyers for said vehicle, such that you could get a higher amount. Trade-in likely would not vary that much, and any difference would be a convenience tax, though you could always ask for a quote in NOVA and VT to get a baseline as to what that may cost. A dealer can give a rough estimate as to the trade-in value without seeing the vehicle, though the NOVA dealer could give you a more accurate quote by evaluating the vehicle.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-12-2013, 04:23 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,868,690 times
Thanks bmwguydc and thanks to all the others...I'll post and update when I make a decision!

Old 11-12-2013, 06:02 AM

45,586 posts, read 61,004,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'd wait until I moved. Assuming your Toyota will hang in there awhile longer, you'll have the luxury of waiting until you find the car you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Usually this won't matter. When you register in a new state the new state will want the tax unless you owned the car for a while. (This is to prevent people from crossing state lines just to avoid sales tax on the car.) Virginia's is lower than Vermont's, but in the case of buying right before moving, you'll owe Vermont the difference anyway. So this is moot.

I'd probably move first then buy. The amount of miles between (assuming you drive whichever car you have between the two) won't really have a big effect on values of either car, but it might be good not to take the brand new car on a long sustained drive. (This is debatable.) Also, if you buy up north the dealer will presumably handle or help you through the titling and licensing for VT. If you buy in VA, you'll likely have to do just a temp registration then handle the transfer yourself in VT. If you were to title it in VA then you'd be titling it twice (and paying fees twice) because you still have to transfer it to VT. You don't want to title it in VA, regardless of where you buy. There is nothing to be gained from that.

You might be able to get some feel of regional valuation differences from a site like Edmunds. I doubt it is that big a difference.

Dunno where you're headed but you can also check MA for Subaru dealers. Not sure what's with the inventory, they are probably in a changeover to 2014 model year around now.
These responses pretty much nailed it in my opinion. There will likely be far less hassle for you if you wait to buy until you move.

I don't know about inspections in VT but many states require their inspections even on a new car if it's bought out of state. As mentioned, you'll end up paying a sales/transfer/excise tax in any event, not to mention the hassle of changing tags.

As a note, Subaru is a popular brand in NOVA as well as VT so if you choose to buy before moving you won't have to look far.

Unless you know how to drive one don't buy a stick, they're a pain to learn (I learned on one, a 1950 Plymouth when I was about 12 on the farm. That and a Ford tractor.) and a pain to drive, especially in traffic. The minimal extra MPG isn't worth it.

For Subarus, depending on your individual needs, I'd tell you to look at the Outback and the Forester. I believe the Forester costs less now. I may be wrong.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:40 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,928,620 times
I'd buy in Vermont. Should have a good selection, that's Subbie territory. Builds a good relationship with your dealer that will be servicing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru