Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 12:07 PM

803 posts, read 377,775 times

Advertisements

I would amend the article to say conservative leaning Jewish kids would look more at southern colleges. I think the article does imply that and the Post readers tend to be in the right

Most Jews seem to on the left despite Republicans being more pro Israel.

It is hard to imagine a significant number of blue state liberals traveling long distances to attend public colleges like Clemson in red states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2024, 12:45 PM

Think what NY Post misses is how left wing Clemson admin and many professors are.

Clemson has two professors who study Russian trolls on social media. They started doing this soon after 2016 elections and seem to believe Russian trolls stole the election from Hillary with slick posts on the Internet. Republican parents and students are helping fund this research at a red state college.

They basically blame all bad news for Democrats on the Russian trolls.

Clemson routinely makes two conservative websites that document liberal stuff that happens at colleges.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 05-10-2024 at 12:59 PM..

Old 05-10-2024, 03:21 PM

8,275 posts, read 13,448,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
$$$$$$$$$$

SC out of state tuition is much cheaper than NE schools. 28% of CCU students are from out of state. Hardly “most”.

SC schools have always been popular with NE students. College of Charleston is 43% out of state.
LOL.. I am sure my nephews very unscientific survey was conducted from personal connection and encounters likely at social functions and related activities at CCU..

That being said, you peaked my curiosity and found this(below) recognizing that this is from 2021
and I believe is just incoming students.. but interesting non the less.

https://www.coastal.edu/media/2015cc...ook%202021.pdf

Old 05-10-2024, 03:56 PM

It is strange the article doesn't mention northern public universities.

I don't think employers see a difference between Rutgers, UConn, UMass, Buffalo and other large state northeastern schools and Clemson and other large southern colleges. I can't see those schools being any more liberal than Clemson's admin and humanity professors.

UNC and UVA seem to have a bigger liberal activist rep than northeastern publics.

All of my life I have heard liberals say SC public colleges are underfunded but public colleges in blue states up north seem to get no hype compared to the private northeastern colleges and southern publics.

If those blue state public colleges are adequately funded, why pay a crazy tuition to go to a private like Columbia? There are NY and NJ kids paying over twice as much to attend Clemson than a similar college in their home state that supposedly receives more funding from its state.

Old 05-10-2024, 05:40 PM

Don't hold me to this number but a source claims the combined undergrad enrollment at Ivy League colleges is approx 70,000. The largest one is Cornell with 15,000 and that's only because it is a partially public as the NY land grant university.

Clemson's football stadium holds about 13,000 more people than Ivy League combined undergrad enrollment. In other words, Ivy League schools are a drop in the ocean regarding undergrad education.

Old 05-11-2024, 07:18 PM

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...r/73627003007/

“Resistance is justified when people are occupied,” [Clemson student] protestors chanted. Sounds like they are saying the terrorist acts on Oct. 7 in Israel were justified.

Old 05-11-2024, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Clemson is the best university in SC. But it doesn’t stand toe to toe with GT or Columbia.

I've never heard a SC grad say Clemson is the best university in SC. Think most would say it is as good as Clemson. I don't consider that as a slight to Clemson. It doesn't make sense to me to believe a chemistry degree from Clemson is somehow better than a chemistry degree from USC.

You are making assertions about colleges without talking about the professors, their resumes, and their teaching ability. Education is about teaching but you aren't talking about the teachers. You likely don't know a single professor at any of these colleges, past or present.

I don't understand SC residents who want to tout colleges in other states and say they are better than SC colleges. We help fund SC colleges with our tax dollars. What's the worst thing that can happen if you say Clemson or another SC college are as good as Georgia Tech and Columbia. All of these colleges do marketing. Ivy League schools market the fact they are older than most colleges. A college won't move up in the rankings without marketing.

I pointed out the Georgia Tech admissions guy put Georgia Tech in a group with Clemson. It's fair for me to point out what he said and tout it to market Clemson. It's a contradiction to gush over Georgia Tech but then downplay the G Tech admissions guy grouping Clemson with G Tech. The G Tech admissions guy sounds more like me than you.

I think most colleges have dropped SAT or other standardized test scores as a requirement for admissions. They claim these tests discriminate against certain groups. Many of the colleges want to put more emphasis on diversity among the student body than test scores and GPA when they make admission decisions. The analogy is the NBA deciding it wants to put a emphasis on diversity rather than player statistics on the court.

You and others like to hype certain colleges as elite but these colleges put forth many ideas that are not elite. Marketing and reality are not always the same thing. Getting pious and pretentious about certain colleges doesn't make sense.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 05-11-2024 at 08:14 PM..

Old 05-14-2024, 09:27 AM

35,353 posts, read 17,257,206 times
Certain universities, such as University of South Carolina have honors programs that are significantly more difficult than the general university.

Old 05-17-2024, 06:39 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,865,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
Sounds like you are trying to knock them down because you don't like the content of the article for some reason.

The biggest part of why Ivy League colleges are considered prestigious is they are the oldest colleges.

Prestigious or not, a large New York based newspaper name checked and presented Clemson as a more tolerant, safe, free and fun place to attend college vs "elite" schools up north.
College of Charleston was founded before we were a state and country and I'm not sure anyone in-state would ever refer to C of C as prestigious.

You may want to try again regarding a correlation between age and prestige.

Ivy League schools are old yes, but their prestige goes far beyond simply their age.

Old 05-17-2024, 06:42 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,865,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
“Never before have we seen so much interest in colleges like Clemson, Georgia Tech, and North Carolina State,” the assistant vice provost and executive director of undergraduate admissions at Georgia Tech, Rick Clark, told the outlet. “That’s just unprecedented.”

Surprised I missed this on my first reading of the article. The executive director of admissions at G Tech put Clemson in the same category as Georgia Tech and even mentioned Clemson first. Sounds like he has a lot of contact with admissions people at Clemson and NC State.

I've always considered Clemson as a similar school to Georgia Tech. There are people, people who have no connection to G Tech, who get upset if you say that. They think you are insulting Georgia Tech if you say Clemson is as good.
I showed this to my engineer buddy at Michelin who is GT alum and he got a chuckle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina