Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 01:43 PM

12,972 posts, read 18,825,161 times

Advertisements

I don’t even support everything the United States does militarily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2024, 04:32 PM

8,265 posts, read 13,410,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
Where did this take place?
Old Miss during a protest there. The frat guy that did it got thrown out of his frat.. I believe the school is now doing their own investigation.. It is on camera...so unless their frat mascot is an ape or monkey noises are the new *barking* to show revelry/excitement. He not only did the noise he hopped up and own like an ape .....not sure what he is going to say in his own defense..other than the now default "free speech" or he was imitating Arnold Horshack from Welcome Back Kotter

Old 05-08-2024, 04:40 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,779,933 times
There are no actual statistics in the article. Just anecdotal information from someone in the admissions office at Georgia Tech, who obviously has a vested interest in drumming up interest in Southern Schools.

Somehow I doubt the Ivy League is going to be lacking for applicants.

And...

Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 29 days ago)

779 posts, read 363,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
This sounds and reads very much like wishful thinking (by those with a political agenda) without anything but a few anecdotes to back it up.

I'll believe it when acceptance rates at Columbia University (4%) get near those of Clemson University (43%)
Clemson is public school that has to accept majority in state students and SC is relatively small state.. It could be you have an agenda.

Last edited by LakeMan45; Yesterday at 09:37 AM..

Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
There are no actual statistics in the article. Just anecdotal information from someone in the admissions office at Georgia Tech, who obviously has a vested interest in drumming up interest in Southern Schools.

Somehow I doubt the Ivy League is going to be lacking for applicants.

And...

Clemson has one of the highest out of state tuitions due to the demand

The point of article is conservative, non liberal students have less interest in schools with radicalism on campus

Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM

2,217 posts, read 2,853,361 times
Quote:
Clemson is public school that has to accept majority in state students and SC is relatively small state.. It could be you have an agenda.
If, as you suggest, Clemson is nearly as highly desired as Columbia University, but Clemson is uniquely burdened by a requirement to accept a majority of in state students, we would expect Clemson's acceptance rate to be very low because it is forced to reject all those unfortunate out of state students it doesn't have room for. But Clemson's acceptance rate isn't low, it's ten times higher.

Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM

You posted overall acceptance. The out of state acceptance is likely significantly lower.

You also did not account for Columbia have one third the undergrad enrollment of Clemson while being located in the most populated city in the US. Clemson is relatively remote compared to most universities. That makes it more of a hassle to tour and attend

If you relocated Columbia to a location like Clemson, its acceptance rate would increase.

Requirement to take a certain percentage of in state students isn't unique to Clemson. Public colllleges are partially funded by taxpayers in the state.

Last edited by LakeMan45; Yesterday at 12:51 PM..

Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 3 days ago)

5,749 posts, read 4,726,906 times
Quote:
You posted overall acceptance. The out of state acceptance is likely significantly lower.
Without a shred of data, this is pure speculation. The data is available. I found it for the 23-24 school year with just a cursory search. Here, I'll even help you: https://media.clemson.edu/ows/web/br...-Fact-Book.pdf

Quote:
You also did not account for Columbia have one third the undergrad enrollment of Clemson while being located in the most populated city in the US. Clemson is relatively remote compared to most universities. That makes it more of a hassle to tour and attend.
Columbia has stringent academic standards. They have a significantly smaller student body despite being in the largest city in the US.

Quote:
If you relocated Columbia to a location like Clemson, its acceptance rate would increase.
This isn't based on anything. Pure conjecture.

Quote:
Requirement to take a certain percentage of in state students isn't unique to Clemson. Public colllleges are partially funded by taxpayers in the state.
So, what is Clemson's state mandated requirement? I mean seriously. This data must be available somewhere. Why not do a little digging instead of trying to support your suppositions by guesses?

Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM

That document does not appear to provide an out of state student acceptance rate. Seems to indicate the overall (in state and out of state) acceptance is 38%.

It is easier for a private school with a small enrollment located in the heart of most populated city in the country to be more selective than a large public state college in a relatively low population state.

If Clemson reduced its enrollment to 5000 students, the acceptance rate would drop. The college would still be the same other than enrollment but shoot up in the rankings. If Clemson relocated to NYC, the acceptance rate would drop because more students would be in proximity, easier to tour and easier to attend for a higher number of students. This is basic logic. I'm sure a lot of northeast kids would like to attend Clemson for warmer winters but the travel time is an issue for them.

The Columbia students involved in the protests do not seem sharp to me.

You keep talking about data but you still haven't provided cost of living data with the salary info. You also did not attend Clemson but you act like a consumer. I give more credibility to a person who has used a product or service.

As I have pointed out, I haven't run into many Georgia Tech grads in my jobs with engineering firms. Clemson seems to be the most represented engineering college in South Carolina industry. Students who grow up in SC are not going to get in state tuition at Georgia Tech. Most students or parents aren't going to pay out of state tuition. Many students including students from Atlanta don't want to go to college on a campus in downtown Atlanta next to the interstate, with crime issues in the area.

Columbia's undergrad enrollment is significantly smaller than College of Charleston. It's not a major player in higher education and industry in terms of the quantity of graduates. I have never met a single Columbia graduate. An employer is more likely to hire a Clemson grad because there are more Clemson grads.

Private colleges seem to be a bigger deal in the northeast than down south. In terms of networking, I think you are better off with a Clemson or USC degree if you want to live in South Carolina over Georgia Tech and Ivy League.

Last edited by LakeMan45; Yesterday at 06:08 PM..

Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 3 days ago)

5,749 posts, read 4,726,906 times
I never made any suggestion about COL vs salary. That's a new attempt by you to move the goalposts. Not playing.

Actually, Clemson did not provide how many OOS students were accepted. Seems to be a glaring omission on their part. Because the delta between who was accepted versus who actually enrolled would be very interesting.

Columbia not be a major player in terms of graduates? What kind of metric is that? Their acceptance rate is 4% and 95% graduate. What percentage of Clemson undergraduates actually graduate? 83%. Which is actually good. Just not Columbia good.

And Obama graduated from Columbia. He seems to have done pretty well for himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina