Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2024, 06:09 PM

786 posts, read 372,538 times

Advertisements

I think Obama and most politicians would probably struggle in a science or engineering program at Clemson. He's a liberal arts guy. If you want to make case liberal arts is better at Columbia than Clemson, I won't argue that. Ivy League engineering colleges don't seem to have much prestige and I've never met an Ivy League graduate.

When I worked up in NJ outside of Manhattan for a short period, I met several Michigan Tech engineers but no Ivy League. I had not heard of Michigan Tech prior to that. That seems like an excellent college.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 05-09-2024 at 06:40 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2024, 06:37 PM

According to the Wall Street Journal college rankings, Clemson is a top 25 public university.

https://news.clemson.edu/wall-street...c-institution/

This was interesting: "the University also notched several impressive marks in the WSJ/College Pulse 2024 Best Colleges in the U.S. rankings, including a score of 84 in salary impact, measuring universities’ impact on their graduates’ salaries and how this relates to the cost of attending the college. The mark ranked well ahead of several regional peers, including the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, North Carolina State University, the University of Georgia, the University of Tennessee – Knoxville, Virginia Tech, the University of Virginia and the University of South Carolina. Overall, Clemson ranked No. 13 in salary impact among all public schools. "

That seems good enough.

Old 05-09-2024, 06:53 PM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 11 days ago)

5,757 posts, read 4,746,505 times
Columbia is #5 in WSJ rankings. It's a great university. No matter what that fish wrapper, The NY Post, may say.

We've drifted too far. Done here. Bye now.

Old 05-09-2024, 07:00 PM

Out of curiosity, why are you so passionate about colleges that you didn't attend? You are spending your free time doing free marketing for colleges including one way up in NY. Ivy League and G Tech already have plenty of hype.

If your opinions regarding colleges only piggyback off the US News rankings, why state them at all.

The Georgia Tech admissions guy grouped G Tech with Clemson. There's no reason he had to do that. He views them as similar colleges, because they are.

Most people who are critical of NY Post are likely to be uncritical of the "protestors" on the college campuses. The protestors who don't mention what happened on October 7. The protestors don't address the issue of terrorists using human shields in that region.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 05-09-2024 at 07:15 PM..

Old 05-09-2024, 07:38 PM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 11 days ago)

5,757 posts, read 4,746,505 times
See, we were doing so well. Then you try to make associations that don’t exist. I am critical of non-peaceful protesters. I do not damn the entire university because of the actions of a minority. The administration holds fault in that as well. It’s possible for someone to think that the actions of October 7th were despicable and horrible, while still thinking the NY Post is a garbage rag that isn’t worth the ink they waste. You continually make wild assumptions and linkages in your mind that don’t make sense. All you had to do was ask. I am 100% in favor of destroying Hamas. But I think the nature of the situation is out of control. Fighting an enemy that hides within the civilian population is darn near impossible. Don’t forget though, between the two of us, only one actually put on the uniform and stood for freedom.

I’m not cheerleading for or against Clemson. Just dealing in what I believe to be facts. Clemson is the best university in SC. But it doesn’t stand toe to toe with GT or Columbia.

I think it’s best I put you back on ignore. Despite being corrected way too may times, you just can’t escape your myopic views of the world.

Old 05-09-2024, 07:41 PM

24,156 posts, read 32,612,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
A close friend of mine went to Johns Hopkins. His daughter went to USC's honors program and is now in vet school. I'm going to her wedding pretty soon. That is a good example of people who are Ivy material rejecting the Ivies. She is Jewish by the way.
Yes! Jews are generally good selectors of colleges. When I was a professional college entrance advisor, Jewisg families made up the majority of my clientele.

Many Jews - with good reason, have issues with Ivy League universities.

They also are not only interested in "name" - but they are also interested in Jewish life at the university.

There are about 30-50 colleges and universities that are not "Brandies" (which is a great school for anyone - Jewish or not) - or affiliated with any Jewish entity.
These preferred college are often schools with not only a less racist and bigoted past, but that promote values that are consistent with their faith. I happen to agree with these objectives.

Old 05-09-2024, 07:46 PM

24,156 posts, read 32,612,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
According to the Wall Street Journal college rankings, Clemson is a top 25 public university.

https://news.clemson.edu/wall-street...c-institution/

This was interesting: "the University also notched several impressive marks in the WSJ/College Pulse 2024 Best Colleges in the U.S. rankings, including a score of 84 in salary impact, measuring universities’ impact on their graduates’ salaries and how this relates to the cost of attending the college. The mark ranked well ahead of several regional peers, including the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, North Carolina State University, the University of Georgia, the University of Tennessee – Knoxville, Virginia Tech, the University of Virginia and the University of South Carolina. Overall, Clemson ranked No. 13 in salary impact among all public schools. "

That seems good enough.
Let us just all agree that Clemson is not a part of this conversation.

There are so many colleges in the Midwest that are very attractive to Jewish parents also in the Middle Atlantic. William and Mary, University of Virginia, (recently) Elon University, University of Delaware, and Muhlenberg College (PA)

Old 05-09-2024, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Let us just all agree that Clemson is not a part of this conversation.

There are so many colleges in the Midwest that are very attractive to Jewish parents also in the Middle Atlantic. William and Mary, University of Virginia, (recently) Elon University, University of Delaware, and Muhlenberg College (PA)
Clemson is not part of what conversation?

Old 05-09-2024, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
See, we were doing so well. Then you try to make associations that don’t exist. I am critical of non-peaceful protesters. I do not damn the entire university because of the actions of a minority. The administration holds fault in that as well. It’s possible for someone to think that the actions of October 7th were despicable and horrible, while still thinking the NY Post is a garbage rag that isn’t worth the ink they waste. You continually make wild assumptions and linkages in your mind that don’t make sense. All you had to do was ask. I am 100% in favor of destroying Hamas. But I think the nature of the situation is out of control. Fighting an enemy that hides within the civilian population is darn near impossible. Don’t forget though, between the two of us, only one actually put on the uniform and stood for freedom.

I’m not cheerleading for or against Clemson. Just dealing in what I believe to be facts. Clemson is the best university in SC. But it doesn’t stand toe to toe with GT or Columbia.

I think it’s best I put you back on ignore. Despite being corrected way too may times, you just can’t escape your myopic views of the world.
I don't see a reason to beat up on the NY Post on this topic. Unless you don't like them saying some students are looking for alternative colleges due to left wing radicalism (and their implied criticism of it) and heavy handed approach to covid policy on campus.

It is interesting to me that a person who brags about military service is also hung up on college rankings. A graduate of Clemson and other southern universities are likely to make a decent living. What's the payoff for people to insist one college is better than another? That's a horrible message to send to students.

It seems like you are trying to live vicariously through graduates of "elite" colleges you didn't attend.

You say Clemson is better than USC. My father earned an electrical engineering degree at SC and he's done fine. I know a ton of SC grads who have done well.

USC has a medical, pharmacy and law colleges. Clemson does not. When you parrot the college rankings, you leave out relevant stuff like this. Most universities don't have those professional schools.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 05-09-2024 at 08:31 PM..

Old 05-09-2024, 09:32 PM

1,887 posts, read 2,037,794 times
Leaving out the antisemitism claim, which I sincerely doubt is in the top five reasons for this, but...

I have tutored many strong students in competitive NJ high schools, and I am surprised how popular public Southern universities are in the college search. We can debate the exact reasons, but the trend is a solid fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina