Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 05:48 AM

8,275 posts, read 13,444,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
Leaving out the antisemitism claim, which I sincerely doubt is in the top five reasons for this, but...

I have tutored many strong students in competitive NJ high schools, and I am surprised how popular public Southern universities are in the college search. We can debate the exact reasons, but the trend is a solid fact.
Yeah, My nephew graduated from Coastal Carolina...He said most of the students there were from the midwest and the NE. Now, I dont want to take anything away from the quality of education at the school.. but I am sure there are other factors for that other than whatever the political environment is on campus....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2024, 07:39 AM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 15 days ago)

5,768 posts, read 4,755,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Yeah, My nephew graduated from Coastal Carolina...He said most of the students there were from the midwest and the NE. Now, I dont want to take anything away from the quality of education at the school.. but I am sure there are other factors for that other than whatever the political environment is on campus....
$$$$$$$$$$

SC out of state tuition is much cheaper than NE schools. 28% of CCU students are from out of state. Hardly “most”.

SC schools have always been popular with NE students. College of Charleston is 43% out of state.

Old 05-10-2024, 09:03 AM

793 posts, read 376,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
Leaving out the antisemitism claim, which I sincerely doubt is in the top five reasons for this, but...

I have tutored many strong students in competitive NJ high schools, and I am surprised how popular public Southern universities are in the college search. We can debate the exact reasons, but the trend is a solid fact.

The out of control protests have ramped up this year. I don't think anybody is claiming it has been a top 5 reason.

Furman and Wofford in SC, both private colleges, have been popular with out of state students.

College football has been a major factor for Clemson

Last edited by LakeMan45; 05-10-2024 at 09:16 AM..

Old 05-10-2024, 09:24 AM

13,006 posts, read 18,868,842 times
The University of South Carolina’s out-of-state enrollment is 52.43% according to College Factual. I’ve always known it to be pretty high, but I didn’t know it was that high.

https://www.collegefactual.com/colle...0the%20country.

Old 05-10-2024, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
The University of South Carolina’s out-of-state enrollment is 52.43% according to College Factual. I’ve always known it to be pretty high, but I didn’t know it was that high.

https://www.collegefactual.com/colle...0the%20country.
I find that number hard to believe. If you scroll down a bit from that number, it only indicates 2,300 in state students. Maybe that number is for post graduate.

This site claims 40% out of state. https://gitnux.org/university-of-sou...ceptance-rate/

I have no way to validate either number. But I did send an email to the registrars office asking why this information isn't included in all the other info they report.

Old 05-10-2024, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
$$$$$$$$$$

SC out of state tuition is much cheaper than NE schools. 28% of CCU students are from out of state. Hardly “most”.

SC schools have always been popular with NE students. College of Charleston is 43% out of state.
NJ kids are 2nd highest percentage of our of state kids at Clemson

Rutgers in state is 44 percent cheaper than Clemson out of state. Plus NJ students have higher transportation costs to attend Clemson

I thought you loved data.

Old 05-10-2024, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
NJ kids are 2nd highest percentage of our of state kids at Clemson

Rutgers in state is 44 percent cheaper than Clemson out of state. Plus NJ students have higher transportation costs to attend Clemson

I thought you loved data.
You picked a singular school and made it a representative of the entire Northeast.

Columbia, which started this discussion, is $68,400. Which is significantly more than Clemson out of state. I think that’s more reasonable data.

See, I still love data. Especially that data which is relevant to the discussion.

Old 05-10-2024, 11:42 AM

Clemson was the basis for this discussion. It's a SC forum

Old 05-10-2024, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
Clemson was the basis for this discussion. It's a SC forum
Prospective students are increasingly opting for colleges like Elon in North Carolina, Clemson in South Carolina and the University of Miami in Florida over elite Northeastern schools.

For Jewish students, the rise of antisemitism and anti-Israel protests on campuses like Columbia have shown students like Scott Katz that choosing Elon was the right decision.

Your link.

And one final thought before I leave this, now silly, discussion. The NY Post didn't provide any data to support their point. No wonder you chose it.

Old 05-10-2024, 11:55 AM

You have posted more than anybody but me on a topic you think is silly despite having no affiliation with Clemson, Columbia, G Tech
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina