Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 10:30 AM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 12 days ago)

5,758 posts, read 4,749,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Fewer places for sprawl in Charleston County -

Don’t want sprawl around you? Don’t want your bucolic area raped by developers and DOT? Declare your community a historic settlement area. Charleston County Council just voted 5-4 to block the construction of large housing subdivisions in settlement communities for the next 10 years. Good move!

https://www.postandcourier.com/news/...EwB6O0uxW4jzRz
Some developer will take it to the SC supreme court and this will be overturned. Just ask the Mount Pleasant city commission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2024, 12:02 PM

12,991 posts, read 18,858,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Some developer will take it to the SC supreme court and this will be overturned. Just ask the Mount Pleasant city commission.
If so, what a shame. But even the governor supports preserving land over sprawling to kingdom come in every direction and at all angles. It’s the epitome of the “we don’t want to be like Atlanta” mantra.

Old 05-10-2024, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
The urban areas will run out of room at some point because we have forever immigration into the country plus major immigration from other regions of country.

Suburban and rural growth will continue to explode unless we end immigration. You've said you want to make easier for
people to enter country.
I’ll say it for the last time. It is all in the design.

Old 05-10-2024, 12:18 PM

The Pew Research Center says well over 40% of Americans would prefer to live in homes that are closer to each other with amenities close by. About 18% of the Charleston-North Charleston MSA’s residents live in the city versus outside city boundaries. I realize there’s density in places outside the city limits, but I think we have plenty of space and percentage points to work with inside city limits to give more of the MSA’s residents what they want.

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-re...%202%2C%202023.

Old 05-10-2024, 12:26 PM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 12 days ago)

5,758 posts, read 4,749,008 times
Quote:
The Pew Research Center says well over 40% of Americans would prefer to live in homes that are closer to each other with amenities close by. About 18% of the Charleston-North Charleston MSA’s residents live in the city versus outside city boundaries. I realize there’s density in places outside the city limits, but I think we have plenty of space and percentage points to work with inside city limits to give more of the MSA’s residents of the municipality what they want.

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-re...%202%2C%202023.
But 57% say the opposite. It's interesting how it seems to be split along political party affiliation.

Old 05-10-2024, 01:29 PM

786 posts, read 373,382 times
Quote:
I’ll say it for the last time. It is all in the design.

So you are saying when Charleston population doubles, there would still be no need to expand

Old 05-10-2024, 03:09 PM

8,270 posts, read 13,437,371 times
Downtown Charleston in 2050 with a revitalized Battery

https://ssl.tzoo-img.com/images/tzoo...-534941780.jpg

Old 05-10-2024, 07:42 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,978,196 times
eww pittsburgh

Old 05-11-2024, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
But 57% say the opposite. It's interesting how it seems to be split along political party affiliation.
Obviously 57% say the opposite. But 57% who would rather live spread around, outside the core within a reasonable urbanized-area radius makes for a lot of people who would rather live in the core. I have never said nor implied that most people want to live in the core, only that the population isn’t given a lot of choice when income is considered and that a lot more people would like that choice.

The most frequent response to my assertions that downtown Charleston and close-in areas need more housing options has been that people don’t want to live in density, that they want detached houses with big yards. Well, according to Pew, more than 40 want the type of housing typically seen in the urban core. That’s a lot of people, a lot more than are being given that option amidst the sprawl that we see in Metro USA, especially in the Sunbelt.

Even if we factor in Southernness and figure only 30% of people in Sunbelt metros want to live in or near the urban core in denser neighborhoods, that’s still a lot of people. As for the political divide, it sounds about right to me. And SC votes around 45% Democrat, give or take, so people in the core needn’t feel like anomalies.

The printed version of a story on evictions in SC that I read on the P&C’s website a week ago is finally out today. It talks about the “housing affordability crisis, a lack of well-paying jobs, and municipalities and counties favoring higher-end apartment developments over affordable ones.” I have said that there needs to be a glut of new housing units at all price points downtown and nearby so that more people can afford to live in the metro’s core instead of in the more distant areas on the perimeter.

On a side note, the municipalities with the highest eviction rates were Columbia and North Charleston. It doesn’t say in what order. For the big three counties, it’s Richland with a 28% filing rate, Greenville County at 18% and Charleston County at 17%, despite having higher house prices and rental rates, interestingly. Spartanburg County was at 28%.

Old 05-13-2024, 08:03 PM

786 posts, read 373,382 times
I saw Nexton in Summerville was selected as the best mixed use development in the country.

It has a Pickle Bar. That sounds fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina