Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 10:23 AM

12,946 posts, read 18,802,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
I don't think most people who live in suburbs or rural want to live in a mixed use development which tend to have smaller houses right next to each other with tiny yards. Or a bunch of condos / apartments. Those are only popular with people who want to live in the city but don't for some reason like their budget.

It'll be difficult to prevent the building of big box stores given they are popular with most Americans.
Awareness of how hard it is to get into a house right now and of how many people are waiting on the sidelines unable to purchase a starter home might help one see that the southern metro way of spreading out farther and farther with large houses on large lots is no longer the way to go, if it ever was. People who have to drive farther and farther out until they qualify for a mortgage are tired of being faced with virtually no housing inventory that is within their budget where the jobs are, including jobs in the city and close by. More density and less square footage are the way to go for the vast majority of younger people who want a house, partly if not largely because of the fact that most young people aren’t doing as well financially as their parents, and many don’t want cars. (21st century)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2024, 09:02 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 24 days ago)

746 posts, read 354,462 times
Most suburban houses in South Carolina are located near major employers. Think you are still looking at development with the city's historic downtown as the reference point.

I would be surprised if even 15% of middle class and wealthy people want to live in dense development. The wealthy people who own houses on the Charleston peninsula don't want more condos and development going up.

It won't be long before the suburbs in SC are more dense than our cities, due to the high level of immigration to this third most populated country, and the high level of immigration to SC from other parts of the US. This is little room in the cities for new development especially a city like Charleston that has opposition to tall buildings.

There have a been a ton of apartments and condos built in Greenville the past 25 years. There were a bunch when I arrived in 2000 but the number has probably quadrupled. There are a bunch of them out along 385 way out in Fountain Inn now. Housing doesn't get more dense than apartments.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 04-21-2024 at 09:22 AM..

Old 04-21-2024, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Most suburban houses in South Carolina are located near major employers. Think you are still looking at development with the city's historic downtown as the reference point.

I would be surprised if even 15% of middle class and wealthy people want to live in dense development. The wealthy people who own houses on the Charleston peninsula don't want more condos and development going up.

It won't be long before the suburbs in SC are more dense than our cities, due to the high level of immigration to this third most populated country, and the high level of immigration to SC from other parts of the US. This is little room in the cities for new development especially a city like Charleston that has opposition to tall buildings.

There have a been a ton of apartments and condos built in Greenville the past 25 years. There were a bunch when I arrived in 2000 but the number has probably quadrupled. There are a bunch of them out along 385 way out in Fountain Inn now. Housing doesn't get more dense than apartments.
Charleston looked at other cities renovating old mills into apartments, and since it didn’t have any, said we’ll show’em and built a district of apartment buildings that look like renovated old mills. And there is gobs more room to build many more apartment buildings on the upper peninsula.

You’re looking at where and how you believe most people want to live based on the views of generations who are the least affected by the shortage of housing in reasonable price ranges in the core of the metro. How are suburbs going to become more dense than cities if people, as you say, don’t want density? They would just keep spreading out until there is no more natural land area if new codes weren’t (most likely) about to put a stop to it. Why has Mount Pleasant put a moratorium on new apartment and condo buildings? Because people erroneously believe that this type of design is the reason traffic quagmires occur daily.

The comfort and convenience of urban living in the end will show that suburban design (not compatible with small-town design or nature preservation) was just a mid 20th to early 21st century fad. I, for one, am pulling for you to be able to pick your small-town digs that you prefer and have them remain small town as opposed to being devoured by more stupid suburban design = dumb land use. You, on the other hand, are promoting more of the design that will swallow you up.

Old 04-22-2024, 09:24 PM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 24 days ago)

746 posts, read 354,462 times
If you are sincerely concerned about being swallowed by suburban design, you would support my proposal to end immigration into this country due to overpopulation. If we had ended immigration 60 years ago, there would be much less suburban development today. We have to lie in the bed we make with our policy.

One of the best uses for land is houses and commercial development to support daily living, especially if it allows people not to be stacked up on each other. The American dream for most people isn't living in a pod within a high rise, near the high crime areas.

I saw somewhere that a 600 sq ft studio apartment in downtown Charleston is $1700 a month. The suburbs are for people who are good with money and are serious about saving for retirement and a rainy day.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 04-22-2024 at 09:45 PM..

Old 04-22-2024, 10:06 PM

2,317 posts, read 2,967,416 times
Quote:
If you are sincerely concerned about being swallowed by suburban design, you would support my proposal to end immigration into this country due to overpopulation. If we had ended immigration 60 years ago, there would be much less suburban development today. We have to lie in the bed we make with our policy.

One of the best uses for land is houses and commercial development to support daily living, especially if it allows people not to be stacked up on each other. The American dream for most people isn't living in a pod within a high rise, near the high crime areas.

I saw somewhere that a 600 sq ft studio apartment in downtown Charleston is $1700 a month. The suburbs are for people who are good with money and are serious about saving for retirement and a rainy day.
I feel i should point out that immigration, within the nation that is, is what drove people out of cities into the suburbs in the first place, cutting down on immigration will simply make it more economical to live in cities and thus drive people back towards them. People moving back towards cities would presumably speed up the destruction of rural healthcare systems that we've seen over the years which would merely speed up people moving towards cities.

Effectively broad based immigration, i.e. people moving towards cities and driving the prices up does more to send people to the suburbs and rural area which helps keep certain necessary amenities solvent. If Immigration cut off and people filtered back to the now cheaper cities that'd hurt rural areas more than the extremely slow growth they'd see otherwise.

Old 04-23-2024, 12:16 PM

Quote:

The suburbs are where most of the crime stories in the news are coming from now. Stopping immigration would be as un-American as it gets. The vast majority of immigrants are filling jobs Americans won’t take. Three fourths of the country’s farm workers are immigrants, about half of whom are undocumented.

Our debates are at impasses all over this forum. We need large, true cities with a lot of density; small, medium and large towns with healthy CBD’s; and countryside. Something for everyone. I love all three setups.

Old 04-23-2024, 03:47 PM

The only thing wrong with this fresh-off-the-press article is that it says urban sprawl for suburban sprawl. Urban design does not sprawl. Good urban design incrementally adds to existing urban places.

So, we’ve go the Mount Pleasants blocking dense development. We’ll have farmers putting their land in protected status that transfers when it is sold, if the land is threatened by development, and dummies claiming cities are already too dense to add more development, in the fastest growing, fastest-developing state in the nation.

More dense development in already dense spots will win, and our city and metro footprints will be more defined over smaller areas than if the status quo prevailed. Thank you, Governor McMaster for signing this extremely important legislation.

https://www.postandcourier.com/colum...e=latest_posts

Old 04-24-2024, 04:42 AM

King Street called the nation’s most charming main street in the nation

(And more density is being added in the corridor and all over the peninsula, I might add. Broad Street, not mentioned because it’s not the main street, is a close second in my mind.)

Laurens Street in Aiken was named #32, then Greenville’s Main Street at #64.

“‘King Street sweeps through Charleston’s core, a dynamic avenue celebrated for its diverse neighborhoods. This historic street is known for its architectural marvels and cultural festivities, offering an authentic Charleston vibe through its eclectic mix of boutiques, dining options, and events like the festive 2nd Sunday on King,’ detailed the poll’s results.”

All I have to do for my heart to stop in a moment of warmth and awe is look down it when driving on Calhoun Street. It looks like it’s in Europe.

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/news/state/...#storylink=cpy

Old 04-24-2024, 06:14 AM

8,255 posts, read 13,393,821 times
Quote:

Just curious.. when you say end immigration.. are you talking about illegal immigration or immigration period? From what has been said... the USA has a declining birth rate thus could lead to a country full of old people and lower population..thus immigration is a way to bring in new typically younger residents to take jobs that provide services and to pay taxes that ultimately go to support the aging population. Whether that is true or not I guess is debatable but again...I am specifically talking about legal immigration. Then you have foreigners that move to the USA buy property and take up residency. I guess they are not immigrants unless they become citizens and live here as permanent residents. But what if they become dual citizens and travel back and forth? Do we want these types of immigrants in the Country? One of my doctors is from the Philippines...young guy.. was educated there and came to the USA to practice medicine and patients seem to like him. In fact most of the doctor is the office are foreign born...should we not have let them in? From my understanding there is shortage of medical workers now in the USA now and that number is expected to grow and not keep pace with the aging population?.

So I guess I understand your point about cost of housing where its someone with money coming in from abroad buying up housing causing the prices to increase or a landlord that is allow illegal immigrants to overcrowd a dwelling to maximize rent can cause prices/rents to rise. It just seem very complicated as you work to address something in one area it could have unintended consequences in another....

Old 04-24-2024, 08:35 AM

From what I’ve read, my 17th-century English immigrant ancestors didn’t appreciate my 18th-century German immigrant ancestors coming here either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina