Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 10:02 AM

12,956 posts, read 18,813,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I wonder if either of these towns would have the opportunity to even have to worry about a big box or national retailer even consider coming to them. I have to admit I had to research how to even get to either of these towns. If your town is not on/off an Interstate or US Highway.. but off of one that begins with SC###... I think your troubles could start there...not in all cases... but...
If metro Columbia spread far and wide enough, developers would build enough subdivisions in the Wagener-Salley area for a four-lane highway to be built from there to West Columbia. But even in towns that are just off the interstate, the non sprawling, non big-box model should have been in place long ago. Maybe Lexington County wants its municipalities to be more like vibrant nodes of commerce on packed grids surrounded by bucolic countryside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2024, 12:28 PM

Headline on thestate . com today:

Lexington County leads SC in loss of farmland. A new study recommends expanded protections

Sounds like something along the lines of how I say it ought to be and ought to have been. This is in addition to Lexington County voting recently to virtually stop all housing development. It’s as though they want more people to live in downtown Columbia in stacked housing with fewer moving into their fiefdom.

Old 04-17-2024, 03:19 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,965,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post

Lexington County leads SC in loss of farmland. A new study recommends expanded protections

Sounds like something along the lines of how I say it ought to be and ought to have been. This is in addition to Lexington County voting recently to virtually stop all housing development. It’s as though they want more people to live in downtown Columbia in stacked housing with fewer moving into their fiefdom.
Wonder if developers will look more into Kershaw County (Elgin, Camden, Lugoff), in addition to Northwest Richland and more development near Blythewood with the school systems.

Old 04-17-2024, 04:55 PM

8,255 posts, read 13,402,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Wonder if developers will look more into Kershaw County (Elgin, Camden, Lugoff), in addition to Northwest Richland and more development near Blythewood with the school systems.
I was thinking the same thing.. NW Richland could absolutely benefit from this in the short run and maybe Newberry but definately Kershaw.. The lake may be a huge draw for many out that way. I remember when I was looking for my first home. I noticed that builders charged more for their Richland County developments than the Lexington ones. I asked the sales rep why and they exclaimed "everything is more expensive over here because Richland charges more for everything!!!!". I suspect that, taxes and schools likely make it more desirable. Friends that I have the live in Lexington seem to like the "feel" of Lexington as being more small town and rural to exurban but with all the suburban amenities.. Then they digress into the politics between the two Counties..which I am sure all of us have opinions on. At any rate.. its interesting how they are trying to restrict growth now.. I dont think that would ever happen in Richland County with the exception of Lower Richland.. and they fought to be left alone.

Old 04-18-2024, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
If they do, I hope they make urban nodes out of existing municipalities, creating a sense of place for each, instead of more homogenized-appearing suburbia.

Old 04-18-2024, 08:11 AM

Quote:

I think Lexington still has a lot of rural farmers and politicos that want it to stay rural than say Richland County and now are battling with their own changing demographics. The whole suburban vs rural divide there is real as you can see from some of the articles over road construction money that is raging between the towns and the County. Richland County I dont believe has many "farms" left.. and where they do.. its in Lower Richland which is already somewhat "hands off" in sections when it comes to development. They also may be suffering from perceptions of school performance which may also slow development. That doesnt seem to be the case in Lexington County where good schools and natural amenities like Lake Murray are abound.

Kershaw is the place to watch to see if they dont try to absorb redirected growth from Lexington County. It actually is fairly well positioned to Columbia and even Charlotte in terms of driving/commuting/travel... not to mention you are already on the beach side of the metro.

Old 04-18-2024, 09:09 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 27 days ago)

757 posts, read 359,197 times
I don't think there are many people who live in suburbs and rural areas who are anti-suburb and big box stores. The reason we have big box stores is because they are popular and generally have good prices due to buying in bulk.

Can't think of any small town downtown area that became worse with more people and big box stores moving in.

There are people who are unhappy with all the student housing going up in the college town downtown areas like Clemson and Chapel Hill, even Columbia. They think it ruins the quaint vibe. There are people in Greenville unhappy with all the condos and apartments going up in downtown. There's no connection to suburban development.

Old 04-18-2024, 10:09 AM

I am talking about design. Urban planning, as this thread is about, can include large national chains that typically build big boxes - big, ugly boxes in areas that should not be disturbed. It does not have to be that way.

Even when a farmer gladly sells 100 acres to a retail developer, those 100 acres should be developed as a neighborhood whose inhabitants can conveniently walk to shop, or even ride an elevator from their condo down to the ground floor to shop, for instance. In order to quit eating up so much wilderness and farmland while growing so fast, local governments need to take a different approach to land use and design.

This does not mean there would be no country or small town living. In fact, those two ways of life would be better preserved.

Old 04-19-2024, 08:46 PM

This was shared in the Columbia forum regarding commuter rail studies in SC in highway and other right of ways. I really hope this move forward. I have always thought that I-77 median would be a great place to put in a new rail line that could accommodate both highspeed rail and potentially freight traffic as well. Once the line gets to Rock Hill in the north or Blythewood in the south, it could transition over to the existing train tracks as they would have to travel at slower speeds through the more populated areas.

https://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess125...7_20240328.htm

Old 04-20-2024, 09:35 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 27 days ago)

757 posts, read 359,197 times
Quote:
I am talking about design. Urban planning, as this thread is about, can include large national chains that typically build big boxes - big, ugly boxes in areas that should not be disturbed. It does not have to be that way.

Even when a farmer gladly sells 100 acres to a retail developer, those 100 acres should be developed as a neighborhood whose inhabitants can conveniently walk to shop, or even ride an elevator from their condo down to the ground floor to shop, for instance. In order to quit eating up so much wilderness and farmland while growing so fast, local governments need to take a different approach to land use and design.

This does not mean there would be no country or small town living. In fact, those two ways of life would be better preserved.
I don't think most people who live in suburbs or rural want to live in a mixed use development which tend to have smaller houses right next to each other with tiny yards. Or a bunch of condos / apartments. Those are only popular with people who want to live in the city but don't for some reason like their budget.

It'll be difficult to prevent the building of big box stores given they are popular with most Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina