Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2023, 02:48 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times

Advertisements

Neither Berkeley nor Dorchester County has been in the top seven SC counties for the number of jobs added, although they are growing at a fast clip as are their jobs offereings. So any suggestion that they account for the bulk of metro Charleston’s job growth is dead in the water. See the chart in the article I shared above from bls/gov.

And Charleston County has tons more land to develop. That’s why every single solitary day in the news here, there’s controversy about newly announced development proposals from one end of the county to the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2023, 02:56 PM

And when Volvo made the decision to locate to Ridgeville in Berkeley County, it was a decision to locate to the Charleston SC region. That’s an example of why I mostly don’t do counties on City Data dot com.

Old 10-30-2023, 02:59 PM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 8 days ago)

721 posts, read 341,550 times
It is not likely Volvo considered Charleston County so it has more to do with Berkeley like cost of land.

What areas in Charleston County are likely to land large manufacturing plants? I can't see most of the residents supporting that especially the retirees.

Old 10-30-2023, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Neither Berkeley nor Dorchester County has been in the top seven SC counties for the number of jobs added, although they are growing at a fast clip as are their jobs offereings. So any suggestion that they account for the bulk of metro Charleston’s job growth is dead in the water. See the chart in the article I shared above from bls/gov.

And Charleston County has tons more land to develop. That’s why every single solitary day in the news here, there’s controversy about newly announced development proposals from one end of the county to the other.
So why can't you name specific employers who created 100 plus jobs at once? I'm not finding news consistent with that on Google.

Charleston's always had new restaurants, new condos, office spaces, etc . These businesses don't employ a large number of people.

For Charleston to create more new jobs than the rest of the state requires something out of the ordinary, big companies. Greenville County is most populated in state. Greenville's MSA is 12 spots ahead of Columbia and 14 spots ahead of Charleston. Greenville's CSA is ranked #38, Charleston doesn't have a CSA. Even Charleston WV has a CSA. That means Charleston doesn't lift up surrounding counties relative to cities with CSAs.

Greenville would basically have to be in an economic depression for Charleston to generate more new jobs than the rest of the state. I would expect Greenville experiencing a depression to be big news nationally. South Carolina seems to be a fixture in fasting growing states and it can't do that with Charleston accounting for a majority of it.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 10-30-2023 at 03:42 PM..

Old 10-30-2023, 08:49 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,954,991 times
The entire area along the Palmetto Commerce Parkway is getting a **** ton of jobs for Charleston, that's where the Mercedez-Benz sprinter van plant is among othersl, there's also Boeing of course.

If you are going to try to make the argument that Charleston and North Charleston are seperate MSA's because of where people work then i've got to wonder why Greenville is relevant at all as a MSA because the cities tiny.

There's also the Clements Ferry Rd. area of Daniel Island but that's City of Charleston in Berkely county rather than Charleston.

Also while the Charleston Metro hasn't been building up nearby counties i think that has more to do with the distance between the actual Metro and borders of the Tri-county region is longer than Greenville county is wide along I-85

Old 10-31-2023, 07:03 AM

The only job news I see for Boeing is they cut 1200 jobs during peak covid and 500 jobs or so in 2017. Looks like Boeing has some issues with their 787 Dreamliner plane made in Charleston. Looks like production of those has ramped up this year but don't see a number of new jobs reported

I don't doubt there's been growth down there. I have not seen news of a big ramp up at existing companies or new ones opening with a large number of employees. Seems like that would be the case if Charleston metro had more new jobs than the rest of the state.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 10-31-2023 at 07:11 AM..

Old 10-31-2023, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
It is not likely Volvo considered Charleston County so it has more to do with Berkeley like cost of land.

What areas in Charleston County are likely to land large manufacturing plants? I can't see most of the residents supporting that especially the retirees.
But where do you think they would have found employees if Ridgeville weren’t in the Charleston metro? Obviously they wanted cheap land, but they needed enough people living in close enough proximity. I think maybe a course on metro/MSA/city relationships might need to be considered by City Data dot com.

I don’t care to have any more large manufacturing plants in Charleston County. There are other industries to grow here: tech startups and life sciences, for instance. The I-26 corridor just outside Charleston County only 15-20 miles out can grow manufacturing.

Old 10-31-2023, 07:56 AM

Quote:
So why can't you name specific employers who created 100 plus jobs at once? I'm not finding news consistent with that on Google.

Charleston's always had new restaurants, new condos, office spaces, etc . These businesses don't employ a large number of people.

For Charleston to create more new jobs than the rest of the state requires something out of the ordinary, big companies. Greenville County is most populated in state. Greenville's MSA is 12 spots ahead of Columbia and 14 spots ahead of Charleston. Greenville's CSA is ranked #38, Charleston doesn't have a CSA. Even Charleston WV has a CSA. That means Charleston doesn't lift up surrounding counties relative to cities with CSAs.

Greenville would basically have to be in an economic depression for Charleston to generate more new jobs than the rest of the state. I would expect Greenville experiencing a depression to be big news nationally. South Carolina seems to be a fixture in fasting growing states and it can't do that with Charleston accounting for a majority of it.
Call DEW and report back here. You’re expecting me to answer exactly how they got their figures? For one thing, the vast majority of jobs are created by small companies, not by mega-manufacturing firms.

I see articles all the time about small companies relocating their headquarters here and adding 50, 80, 100, 125 jobs. For every restaurant that closes, I swear three open. There’s your low wages.

It’s what’s going on at ground level all across a metro that counts. If DEW is just making up these numbers because magazines love to talk about Charleston, their bad. Maybe they will catch metro Greenville up in their monthly fabricated numbers, since magazines are now talking so much about Greenville, too.

Old 10-31-2023, 08:01 AM

The SC Secretary of Commerce said in September 2022 the Upstate is the "Business center of SC" and "the Upstate is a very attractive part of SC".

He didn't mention Charleston. That means Charleston went into beast mode this past year if their numbers are legit.

I don't think a metro in SC can outpace the rest of the state with mostly small business growth. It would need to get multiple 1000 plus jobs at big manufacturers. The year Boeing opened is probably Charleston's best year in new jobs added.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 10-31-2023 at 08:11 AM..

Old 10-31-2023, 08:03 AM

Quote:
The only job news I see for Boeing is they cut 1200 jobs during peak covid and 500 jobs or so in 2017. Looks like Boeing has some issues with their 787 Dreamliner plane made in Charleston. Looks like production of those has ramped up this year but don't see a number of new jobs reported

I don't doubt there's been growth down there. I have not seen news of a big ramp up at existing companies or new ones opening with a large number of employees. Seems like that would be the case if Charleston metro had more new jobs than the rest of the state.
You’re behind. Boeing has ramped back up after a long period of going back to the drawing board to correct issues. They’re getting record-breaking orders now and have increased production in North Charleston (That’s in Charleston County and adjacent to Charleston.), increasing from one or two planes a month to five, with plans to continue increasing production up to about 10 in the foreseeable future. Admittedly, when I read articles about it, the paragraph mentioning new hires is absent, but I see ads to apply to Boeing all over the web and in local media. Volvo just announced they need to fill 1,300 jobs, but DEW won’t count those hires until later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina