Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2022, 08:04 AM

246 posts, read 431,572 times

Advertisements

Saw a FB post that a rumor was going around that the Piggly Wiggly at the Florence Mall (The nicest Piggly Wiggly around) would be closing. The person who made said FB post called to confirm this and they said that rumor was true.

If this is indeed true, maybe this is our opportunity for a Publix or Lowe's Foods to come into the market.

Per the leasing website for the Florence Mall, however, it is not listed as being available.

**Looked further into this. Employee at the Piggly Wiggly said they were being told to vacate the mall for another tenant.

Last edited by JEM91; 03-07-2022 at 08:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2022, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM91 View Post
Saw a FB post that a rumor was going around that the Piggly Wiggly at the Florence Mall (The nicest Piggly Wiggly around) would be closing. The person who made said FB post called to confirm this and they said that rumor was true.

If this is indeed true, maybe this is our opportunity for a Publix or Lowe's Foods to come into the market.

Per the leasing website for the Florence Mall, however, it is not listed as being available.

**Looked further into this. Employee at the Piggly Wiggly said they were being told to vacate the mall for another tenant.
Got other word that Food Lion will be moving to the location.
Not sure if the location a mile away at Cashua/Darlington will remain open if this rumor of Food Lion moving to the Piggly Wiggly is true.

Old 03-08-2022, 06:36 PM

152 posts, read 351,404 times
If Food Lion is moving into the Florence Mall, the Darlington/Cashua store will almost certainly close. They closed the location at 52/3rd Loop next to Stefanos once they took over the old Bi-Lo site on Pamplico Hwy. It follows a strategy to upscale their stores, and close old ones. I've heard the Darlington/Cashua store called "trashy" and "dirty", though I've never been inside it. Its location is not ideal for a supermarket. The Food Lion past the airport is also old, and certainly not a feather in the company's cap, so that may be one to look at being closed or moved if in fact the Darlington/Cashua store is closed. The Second Loop store, while old, was given a moderate renovation several years ago. That surely isn't going anywhere, given its location.

Then again, I've been hearing rumors of Publix coming to Florence for 2 decades to no avail. Personally, I'd love to see a Wegman's, but the market is likely too small for that (and Whole Foods for that matter).

Old 03-08-2022, 07:30 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubwayRider View Post
If Food Lion is moving into the Florence Mall, the Darlington/Cashua store will almost certainly close. They closed the location at 52/3rd Loop next to Stefanos once they took over the old Bi-Lo site on Pamplico Hwy. It follows a strategy to upscale their stores, and close old ones. I've heard the Darlington/Cashua store called "trashy" and "dirty", though I've never been inside it. Its location is not ideal for a supermarket. The Food Lion past the airport is also old, and certainly not a feather in the company's cap, so that may be one to look at being closed or moved if in fact the Darlington/Cashua store is closed. The Second Loop store, while old, was given a moderate renovation several years ago. That surely isn't going anywhere, given its location.

Then again, I've been hearing rumors of Publix coming to Florence for 2 decades to no avail. Personally, I'd love to see a Wegman's, but the market is likely too small for that (and Whole Foods for that matter).
Yeah.. that Food Lion out past the airport has been like that for awhile. When I was at FMU back in the 90s it was subpar back then. We used to go into town to what was then Kroger on West Evans. That may have been subpar too but it was "in town" and you could always stop there and a few other places after leaving Apple Annies, Red Bone Alley or Carrie Nations (now I am showing my age)\

I had a former classmate when I told him I was coming to homecoming a few years ago asked me to pack him up some Sav- Way Gas Station Chicken and send it to him. I havent been in a Save Way in years, but I lived off of their Chicken in school along with Chicken Bog from The Food Chief

Old 03-09-2022, 05:19 AM

308 posts, read 468,238 times
The Florence area honestly needs more grocery store competition. When you have places that are smaller than Florence that have more of a variety then something is off. I literally see Publix trucks come of 95 go down 327 and make that left had turn towards the beach with regularity. The Individuals at Publix that make the decisions on where they are going to place stores does not know about the untapped potential they have here. Two stores easily…one on the Westside, across from Sneed and another location where the old Food Lion on Irby St. prime locations in my opinion, and honestly with the new housing development going up off Freedom Blvd and with the growth 327 that area will experience because of Bucees and the the other development taking place out that way even a 3rd location in Florence could be possible.

Old 03-29-2022, 09:33 AM

Any word on when Buc-ees is opening?

Old 03-29-2022, 02:15 PM

Not sure on the opening date but hopefully soon

One thing I noticed today were billboards on I95 advertising the Cookout at Exit 163 (52)

They haven’t even started site work on the building yet so I’m not sure why they have billboards up already.

Old 04-01-2022, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinachaos View Post
Any word on when Buc-ees is opening?
Riding past last night, I notice site work being done on one of the outer parcels. Perhaps starting a fast food restaurant of some kind maybe?

Old 04-01-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM91 View Post
Riding past last night, I notice site work being done on one of the outer parcels. Perhaps starting a fast food restaurant of some kind maybe?
Hopefully it’s something new to the area. Didn’t realize that if you go down the road that is perpendicular to 327 at the new light. A huge area of land is being cleared across from the church, any indication on what is going there?

Old 04-01-2022, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinachaos View Post
Hopefully it’s something new to the area. Didn’t realize that if you go down the road that is perpendicular to 327 at the new light. A huge area of land is being cleared across from the church, any indication on what is going there?
That is where the new headquarters for Pee Dee Electric will be. (at least what I was told)

I knew they were opening around that area, so I assume that is correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina