Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2006, 03:54 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,289 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the Charlotte area all of my life and have no problems with our northern friends moving here. But two cardinal sins for a newbie would be coming here and trying to change us/the area, or saying, "Well, this is how we do it in NY, NJ, CT, ect". BIG no-no's in the south! In general, if these two things are avoided, you'll do fine.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:11 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Is it possible that you are exactly like these Yankees you complain about? As much as you claim they spew garbage about the South - aren't you doing the EXACT SAME THING about the North?
Yes, but you won't hear hardly any "Northerner" or "Yankee" jokes on TV or in the movies.
Southerners have a lot of catching up to do!

Old 12-21-2006, 08:05 PM

131 posts, read 188,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairmetal4ever View Post
I look at this the same way I look at immigration.

If you are in Mexico and wish to (LEGALLY...but that's another topic) migrate to the US, you need to realize that when you come here, you can hold on to your heritage but will become an American first and foremost or you won't be accepted. If you want to make America like Mexico, then why leave Mexico?

Same thing with moving South. You'll still have a bit of Yankee in you but the idea is that you move to the south and become "Southern" in time, more or less. If you simply want to bring the North down with you, then what was the point of moving in the first place?
evrybody wants something for nothing,Huh

Old 12-22-2006, 07:25 AM

698 posts, read 2,841,816 times
Smile Hope it stays the same too

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
I've lived in the Charlotte area all of my life and have no problems with our northern friends moving here. But two cardinal sins for a newbie would be coming here and trying to change us/the area, or saying, "Well, this is how we do it in NY, NJ, CT, ect". BIG no-no's in the south! In general, if these two things are avoided, you'll do fine.
Speaking realistically, with population explosions and big cities being less and less of a positive, the South will be an unusual exception if that doesn't happen over time, the migration of people from other regions which brings with it many changes. Here in Florida, that is the phenomenon we have had going on for a long time with the arrival of folks from Latin America, Haiti, Russia, etc, by the thousands -- and lately I have been meeting many folks from the Deep South and Midwest states.
Although the US residents have enough in common with us to keep things relatively the same, when more exotic cultures immigrate they bring all their traditions which may or may not mesh well with ours.
But such is life in FL.
I personally can't see moving to G'ville, for instance, and wanting to change a thing. The culture there is what we're seeking, including slower pace of life; more wide open spaces; chatting with neighbors over the fence; great Southern food; less stress; porch sitting; flag waving (although ours will not be Confederate); maybe a mint julep or two in summer; whitewater rafting; mountain hiking; craft shows; tractor pulls and whatever else qualifies as a Southern diversion; pumpkin patches; drives along the Parkway in fall; beautiful mild four seaons, and I could go on.
Of course no one wants the inherent "bad" that characterizes every place but unless they're major dealbreakers (such as a town populated by the klan), they can be avoided, ignored and overcome.
So this is good advice that we plan to take and once we're there, hope that future newcomers take too.

Old 12-27-2006, 12:18 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBsunny View Post
After reading these posts for several weeks, I am convinced that there are no longer any natives in South Carolina, or North Carolina. It appears to me that they have all been driven out by yankees. And all the yankees can do nothing but moan and complain about everything that is lacking in the Carolinas. I think that all you yankees should just GO BACK UP NORTH and leave us in peace.
Hey, I'm a Yankee and I'm nice. I don't make fun of the Southerners or tell jokes about them. AND we have a pickup truck so can we come over and play?

Old 12-27-2006, 07:38 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,467,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Majic View Post
evrybody wants something for nothing,Huh
Better stated:coming from nothing, looking for something

Old 12-27-2006, 08:55 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times
no thanks chinen, we may be grits eatin, popey chicken lovin', but at least we arent scrapple eatin, inner city murderering(Philly), yankee redneckin'(outside of philly and pittsburgh native pennsylvanians are considered as equal to Alabama--though i wouldnt put Alabama down that low), ghetto lovin', cheesesteak eatin, cretins.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:56 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times
ramadan was in September

Old 12-27-2006, 09:31 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinenjim View Post
I'm one Yankee you won't be seeing down there in your precious south. I hate the south. Nothing but swamps and Popey's chicken everywhere you turn. Learn to drive also. So, don't worry about me coming down and crashing your grit eating contests or inter-gene pool weddings.

On the other hand, when you get a chance YOU SOUTHERNS are welcome up here to my Gettysburg any time you want. For a fee, you can even take a tour and actually see where we buried all your relatives!
Whoa!! That was harsh. The civil war is over and we'll be much better off if we stay a UNITED country. We have a lot more things to worry about in the world then bickering between ourselves. Could there be a reason if some of the Southerners are apprehensive of Yankees?

Old 12-27-2006, 09:43 AM

117 posts, read 507,389 times
Default Can't we simply agree to disagree without being insultive?

As a Yankee born to Southern parents, I learned at an early age to that both the North and the South had their good/bad points. I do agree that is is not fair for people to move to a new area with the expectation that it will be like the area that they just left. I don't know if this happens in part because people move without really spending enough time in their prospective environment prior to making that final move. If I do relocate to the South, I do so with the understanding that life will not be like it is in the North.

I think it is unfair for people to make blanket statements about someone whether they be a 'Yankee' or a 'Southerner'. Whats wrong with thinking of ourselves as Americans? We live in a country that has been blessed with diversity in terms of its people, its topography and its culture. And while people may not agree with a particular culture or lifestyle, they can at least be respectful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina