Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 09:44 AM

35 posts, read 173,737 times

Advertisements

Oh come on JB...I'm a true Yankee and I'm not so rude. Generalizations hurt people from all parts of the country. Although I have to agree, generally speaking (LOL), after growing up in NJ (rude), and spending many years of my adult life in NH/VT (Cold & reserved), there is an inkling of truth to the cultural proclivities of people from different sections of the country. But, there are always exceptions to the "rule".

We just visited the Cherokee area of NC. We miss the mountains and will probably move somewhere in the that area in a couple of years. So, keep an open mind, we may run ito each other!

Unless, of course, the rich Yankees raise property values so high, it becomes too expensive to live there.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:45 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,487,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBsunny View Post
Actually the word "too" means "also" so which is correct? Depends on where you come from.

I am Apache and Cherokee and yes, I do wish that they would all go back home and leave us in peace. We have been overrun by rude, inconsiderate yankees forever here in florida and I was hoping that moving back up by my family in the Carolinas it would be different, but I guess they are "everywhere, they're everywhere" and I do believe that they take thier rudeness with them wherever they go.
there is a standard definition, it does not depend on where you come from.

too -
Adverb
1. (adv) excessively, overly, to a fault, too (to an excessive degree) "too big"
2. (adv) besides, too, also, likewise, as well (in addition) "he has a Mercedes, too"

your statement is literally addressing Yankees, i.e., "To: Many yankees"

anyway, to get to the point, I'd like for there to be fewer yankees, too. Or to be more specific, I wish the ones that chose to live here were a little more considerate about certain things.

On one hand, I don't want to stereotype yankees as being a certain way. I've met plenty that are very friendly and polite, and are looking forward to 'becoming southerners'. Or, at least, they have some modicum of respect for the way we like to do things. Those people will always be welcome, from wherever they come from. They are often good people, and they actually do bring diversity and a different perspective.

On the other hand, the negative stereotypes aren't just made up. They are very real in many cases, where people either don't know or don't care what life in the south is like, or they are just blatantly disrespectful of it. We've beaten this topic to death in this forum (and the NC forum), and some people will say nonsensical things like: "Well, people are just people wherever you go!" - which is describing some alternate reality that I've never been to. People are products of their environment, and the urban northeast environment seems to be a mean, harsh one. So many Yankees acting 'normal' come across as jackasses in the south.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:48 AM

11 posts, read 46,573 times
Default Yankees and taxes

Ok, Cottage, I will admit that not ALL yankees are rude, just about 99% of them. We moved here 25 years ago because of my husbands job and it was a real eye opener. And yes, we have seen the taxes and everything else go up up up because of the influx of the yankees and I see that happening in the Carolinas as well. My husband has passed and I just want to be near family, and so, the relocation back to where I came from. I guess I will be replacing one group of yankees for another group of yankees. Will the last one out of NY please turn the lights out?

The thing I have found is that once they are here, most of them moan and complain because things are NOT like they are where they left.

I have many friends in the Cherokee area, and yes, most of it is still beautiful. But the transplants have been able to drive the prices up in the mountains so that us natives cannot afford to live there and must find someother area to set up our tipi's.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:52 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,297,750 times
I've seen equal parts of rude yankees and rude southerners,and I also know friendly yankees and friendly southerners. I think it is a draw.

Old 11-12-2006, 11:00 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,487,299 times
I think Yankees are much more likely to experience the rude side of southerners, whether it is justified or not.

Old 11-12-2006, 11:35 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,794,086 times
As said before I live in NJ and in so many threads people bash NJ but I know plenty of friendly people here. In my experience, if you are nice & friendly to people anywhere they are nice and friendly to you.

I've read a lot on here about people from the NE move to the south and complain a lot, I believe that could be true. I think the reason is that they move there thinking it will be less expensive, nicer weather, food will be somewhat the same etc...well that's not the case, they didn't do enough research before they moved. I have suggested many times on here to people before moving go there several times first, do the research because it will be A LOT different. I'm fortunate I was able to visit so many times in the last year and I have friends that moved there, so they give me a lot of info.

By the way, there are a lot of people living here not only from other states but from quite a few other countries and I think it's great to live amongst people from different cultures. Makes life more interesting and I think it makes me a better person.

Old 11-12-2006, 12:38 PM

480 posts, read 2,831,233 times
Too, not to.

It is a free country for peple to live where they want, and complain as they want. If you don't like it then perhaps it is you who should leave; and if you're that concerned about SC natives, then you should return to your ancestors' orginating country.

Quote:
After reading these posts for several weeks, I am convinced that there are no longer any natives in South Carolina, or North Carolina. It appears to me that they have all been driven out by yankees. And all the yankees can do nothing but moan and complain about everything that is lacking in the Carolinas. I think that all you yankees should just GO BACK UP NORTH and leave us in peace.

Old 11-12-2006, 12:48 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,763,039 times
Quote:
Ok, Cottage, I will admit that not ALL yankees are rude, just about 99% of them.
Count me in the 1%.

That is too bad that this is your experience. I wish you could meet some of the lovely ("yankee") people I know who would NEVER come to your hometown and be rude. They don't have a mean bone in their body.

I do feel sorry for people who have had their towns invaded by people from another area who have a different way of behaving. I experienced that many years ago in Bucks County, PA. It's surely a culture shock. It's better when people move to a new place and try to assimilate.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 3,678 times
My family and I relocated from the midwest to SC about 4 months ago. For the most part we have been pleasantly surprised by the gracious welcome we have received from places of business and our neighbors. Unfortunately, our children have not had it so easy. None of us were prepared for the prejudice and stereotypes some "southerners" have for "yankees". Shockingly, it is their teachers that feel it is appropriate to make comments such as "yankees are known for their rudeness", "you yankees don't know the meaning of common courtesy", and "maybe you should just go back up north where you belong". As for the word "Yankee", up until 4 months ago it was just a ball team...needless to say, it now has a whole new meaning.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:59 PM

35 posts, read 173,737 times
Perhaps you should have a talk with the offending teachers. Even if your children are being discourteous, and I'm not saying they are, it is not appropriate for a teacher to correct children this way. If you approach them by asking "why" they talk to your children this way, it is an open-ended question they can't ignore.

There has been, and still is predjudice on both sides. I've only had three people, of no consequence to me, say.."so you're one of those **** Yankees", two kidding , the other in a rude way. I've also been told, "you don't act like a Yankee". I didn't realize we ALL acted the same.

I suppose my friend , originally from Kentucky, said it best: "If they (northerners, AKA "**** Yankees"), would stop treating us like backwoods, inbred morons....(they should) get educated"

A little education would be nice from both sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina