Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 01:51 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,358,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
Count me in the 1%.

That is too bad that this is your experience. I wish you could meet some of the lovely ("yankee") people I know who would NEVER come to your hometown and be rude. They don't have a mean bone in their body.

I do feel sorry for people who have had their towns invaded by people from another area who have a different way of behaving. I experienced that many years ago in Bucks County, PA. It's surely a culture shock. It's better when people move to a new place and try to assimilate.
OHMIG-D! I am from Lackawanna!!!!! No wonder you had my picture!!! (Laughing Lady) Can you send me the link. I really think these posts need it! Poor JB - s/he's just not sunny Be sweet.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:58 PM

5 posts, read 14,082 times
OK I am confused? Taxes have gone up in FL? Last time I checked the only thing getting deducted is fed taxes, no state tax. Also FL is anything but southern. This is one reason I want to get out of here. Puerto Ricans, Haitians, Mexicans, etc are the ones seeming to take over in orlando, so how are they Yankees? I was born in FL and raised in Chicago. This whole north south BS needs to stop. Its all about the way people act. I love it when Perto Ricans say Fl sucks and how Puerto Rico is so great, then I ask them why they still live here? The US as a whole is nothing but a smorgisborg of everyone and everything, and no matter where you go people will always complain because the tend to want the world to revolve around them.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:19 AM

65 posts, read 258,485 times
What is your defination of a Yankee? Everyone outside of the Carolina's? I resent your grouping everyone in the same basket.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:31 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,703,235 times
Feelings - everyone has them, whether from the north, south, east or west. I think anyone who groups people together, by any definition (be it black, white, yankee, southerner, fat, skinny, Mexican, Puerto Rican, Native American) and expects them all to act the same based on that grouping is narrow-minded and non-godly (whether your religion of choice is Christian, Jewish, Buddhist or whatever).

Meet a person first, then form an opinion about him. I was born in VA and raised in PA. My husband was born in NY and raised in PA. We're both "good old rednecks" (as defined by Jeff Foxworthy), but again, we don't have ALL the characteristics of rednecks as a group.

So please, think before you speak and lump people together. You'll hurt someone's feelings. Don't judge someone until you've met them. Work together for the greater good of everyone and you'll find that you'll become friends with some of the most unlikely of "characters".

Old 11-16-2006, 01:59 PM

35 posts, read 173,754 times
Well said, Dawne! You can miss many opportunities to meet some great people if you limit your thinking.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:12 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,358,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1116 View Post
What is your defination of a Yankee? Everyone outside of the Carolina's? I resent your grouping everyone in the same basket.
Yankee: A baseball team located in New York City - members wear pinstriped unifroms and sometimes win the World Series.

Old 11-18-2006, 05:00 AM

48 posts, read 212,744 times
I too am thinking of retiring in the south and from the sound of these posts, I am saddened that the rude, obnoxious people are moving south. I have enough of that up north.

Old 11-18-2006, 05:00 AM

48 posts, read 212,744 times
I too am thinking of retiring in the south and from the sound of these posts, I am saddened that the rude, obnoxious people are moving south. I have enough of that up north.

Old 11-18-2006, 07:50 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,488,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by estrogen View Post
estrogen, northern (and sometimes western) transplants are attracted to certain areas. They seem to flock toward certain types of places:
1. Good economy
2. Good schools
3. Close to the ocean
4. Few minorities (this might not be intentional, but it's the way it is)
5. Proximity to a large/medium sized city - primarily airports & shopping

Basically, the more of these things you're willing to sacrifice, the greater your chances of moving to an area that still feels very 'southern'.
For example, you could move to a town with 'bad schools', and send your kids to a private school instead - which is what many people in the south do. Or, if you're retiring, it doesn't matter about schools or the economy. And IMO unless you're within 1 hour of the beach, you might as well be 4 hours from the beach. etc.

Old 11-18-2006, 08:48 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,852,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz in North Augusta View Post
Honestly, I agree that the malcontent yankees need to be quiet or leave. I'm a CT yankee and I love SC.
I agree.

Many people are argueing people are individuals and have varying degrees of niceness, and I would agree with that too, but what I think the southerners are usually complaining about is the in the South, they have (or had ) general culture trends and norms on how friendly to be to strangers, what to say and not to say if the occaision should arise that you want to make polite small talk etc.

It's the same as if visiting a different country, like say Japan. They would have a completely different set of "norms" on all sorts of simple everyday things that would be nothing like any place in North America.

It seems like a majority, or at least a large portion of Yankees (non-southerners) who move down don't care to learn about the differences, or worse disrespect the differences.

I for one would love to move to SC, generally speaking, because I'd like to experience weather, food, regional dialects etc., that don't really resemble what I grew up with, which is a culture that's similar, but perhaps slightly less open to strangers than the surrounding areas of the U.S. northeast.

For parting words, I'll leave you with some advise I heard from a Little River,SC boat captain "...Oh, and wave to people as you go by; you don't want to be rude..."

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 11-18-2006 at 08:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina