Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2008, 06:58 PM

3 posts, read 11,094 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site, so I apologize if this thread is a bit repetitious. My husband (to be) and I will be moving to the Sacramento area in August. My fiance will be working down by Mather Airport and I will be looking for a nursing job (preferably in pediatrics). From what I can tell most of the peds hospitals/units are located in downtown Sacramento. So, we're focusing our search somewhere inbetween our work areas. Any recommendations? We're young, with no children so for now school districts aren't a concern. We're looking for some place safe, nice, and with a fair amount of stuff to do. I should also mention that we'll be renting until we get a feel for life in Sacramento. We'd like to pay somewhere between $1100-1400 for rent on a 2 bed, 2 bath. We're open to other areas as long as the commute won't be horrendous. Are there any places in the North East where the commute isn't too bad? Any good hospitals in that area that I could work at? Please help! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Susie12281; 05-08-2008 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: Added information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 10:34 PM

433 posts, read 2,357,043 times
Sounds like the Highway 50 corridor would be your focus with one job at Mather. UC Davis Medical Center, Folsom Mercy and the Shriners Children's Hospital in Sacramento. There's also another Mercy Hospital over by Sacramento State/east Sac. Can't remember the name of it though.

For rentals, maybe Campus Commons, Midtown, Fair Oaks, newer locations along the light rail in Rancho or Folsom etc. You might also find a smaller/nice rental home if you shop around a little.

Highway 50 traffic is no picnic, but I think the commute is nothing like a lot of other large cities. You could do a lot worse.

If you start mixing in the northeast suburbs (I-80 corridor) and Mather Airport, problems compound for commute hassles and times. The north/south major streets have lots of lights and tons of traffic. It can be done though.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:49 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,229,470 times
One significant commuter problem you really should consider though, Sacramento has a severe lack of north/south roads going over the American River. You have ZERO roads between Watt and Sunrise, a distance of five miles! I would recommend you look in the Mather or Folsom areas (west side) for apartments, you really don't want to deal with Watt or Sunrise traffic during rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento