Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 06:21 PM

8 posts, read 18,316 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I currently live in South Sac near Valley Hi and Franklin, but I work in Roseville. Obviously, it is a long drive, so I would like to move closer. My boyfriend has school at CRC so we are trying to live somewhere in between so I have a shorter drive to work and he can take the bus/light rail to school.
Downtown sac is too expensive and most of the places are very small. We are looking for an apartment that has w/d hookups which I have found is hard to find in our price range.

Is that area around El Camino and Grove Ave near Triangle Park a good place to live? Or at least is it alright? We currently live in a not so great neighborhood, so as long as it is better than where we are now.

I have heard North Highlands is not a good place to live, but what about North Sac? Between Discovery park and the 80?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 01:00 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb51 View Post
Is that area around El Camino and Grove Ave near Triangle Park a good place to live? Or at least is it alright? We currently live in a not so great neighborhood, so as long as it is better than where we are now. NO, ghetto city. Have you ever taken the bus to that area?

I have heard North Highlands is not a good place to live, but what about North Sac? Between Discovery park and the 80? No, bad also

Thanks
But of course, "bad" is relative, and people are able to tolerate different levels of "bad". Some people would have no problem living in the neighborhoods you mentioned. What is your definition of "good" or "alright"?

The only decents area I can think of near lightrail is east Sac (since you've already ruled out midtown) or perhaps Antelope. You may also want to consider the Hwy 50 corridor, or just let him drive and move to Roseville.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:16 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,949 times
What's your price range? You might try the Hollywood Park/City Farms area south of Sac City College. Not sure how many apartments are in the area, but it's a decent area, and close to light rail. You might also find some okay spots near the Executive Airport, but west of 99. Up north, Woodlake is a nice area--kind of a diamond in the rough--but probably won't find much else in the area. Maybe some options in Arden that are fairly close to light rail, but I don't know the area well.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:32 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,800,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb51 View Post
Hello,
I currently live in South Sac near Valley Hi and Franklin, but I work in Roseville. Obviously, it is a long drive, so I would like to move closer. My boyfriend has school at CRC so we are trying to live somewhere in between so I have a shorter drive to work and he can take the bus/light rail to school.
Downtown sac is too expensive and most of the places are very small. We are looking for an apartment that has w/d hookups which I have found is hard to find in our price range.

Is that area around El Camino and Grove Ave near Triangle Park a good place to live? Or at least is it alright? We currently live in a not so great neighborhood, so as long as it is better than where we are now.

I have heard North Highlands is not a good place to live, but what about North Sac? Between Discovery park and the 80?

Thanks
North Highlands, for all its flaws, is definitely a cut above Valley Hi or the El Camino at Grove areas. And plenty of bus Service along Watt.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,037 times
Default Please don't be put off by this photo.

"Is that area around El Camino and Grove Ave near Triangle Park a good place to live? Or at least is it alright?"

Please don't be put off by this photo.
This area is a working class neighborhood where neighbors are helpful and kind to those trying to improve the area. I don't think these people pictured live here. This was a very fashionable area until the city of Sacramento incorporated North Sacramento and neglected it. There are many positive things going on now and many businesses like Cooks Hardware that have been here forever. The houses are very well made California bungalow and craftsman style homes with large lots, lovely gardens and big trees. The homes are of the same style as those in Woodlake and East Sacramento. There are several nice art galleries. It is very near downtown and Aden Mall. The bike trail is nearby as is light rail. There are several nice restaurants. I have lived here for years and never had a problem.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:21 PM

660 posts, read 1,081,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trying to Improve View Post
"Is that area around El Camino and Grove Ave near Triangle Park a good place to live? Or at least is it alright?"

This area is a working class neighborhood where neighbors are helpful and kind to those trying to improve the area. I don't think these people pictured live here. This was a very fashionable area until the city of Sacramento incorporated North Sacramento and neglected it. There are many positive things going on now and many businesses like Cooks Hardware that have been here forever. The houses are very well made California bungalow and craftsman style homes with large lots, lovely gardens and big trees. The homes are of the same style as those in Woodlake and East Sacramento. There are several nice art galleries. It is very near downtown and Aden Mall. The bike trail is nearby as is light rail. There are several nice restaurants. I have lived here for years and never had a problem.
Uhhh, you mean like, 60 years ago?

Old 09-23-2014, 12:31 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trying to Improve View Post
This area is a working class neighborhood where neighbors are helpful and kind to those trying to improve the area. I don't think these people pictured live here.

This was a very fashionable area until the city of Sacramento incorporated North Sacramento and neglected it. The houses are very well made California bungalow and craftsman style homes with large lots, lovely gardens and big trees. The homes are of the same style as those in Woodlake and East Sacramento. The bike trail is nearby as is light rail.
What do you mean, people who look like majin's picture don't live there?
Of course they do.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:09 AM

OK, since the thread has been resurrected, here is a question: Can that Del Paso region gentrify? Is it at all feasible?

Old 09-23-2014, 01:19 PM

660 posts, read 1,081,491 times
Of course it can theoretically. There's a lot of projects in the pipeline for Deal Paso Blvd. it's just going to take a lot of change over a long time before people get that "North Sac is the hood" image out of their heads, if it ever does change.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeJeH View Post
Of course it can theoretically. There's a lot of projects in the pipeline for Deal Paso Blvd. it's just going to take a lot of change over a long time before people get that "North Sac is the hood" image out of their heads, if it ever does change.
It is not just the image; it is the people living there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento