Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2024, 09:19 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I'd say it's likely the bridge closure is what ultimately pushed their decision to go forward.

You don't seem to understand that everything in the Seekonk and East Providence area was expedited when the bridge closed.

Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2024, 09:32 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
I'd say it's likely the bridge closure is what ultimately pushed their decision to go forward.

You don't seem to understand that everything in the Seekonk and East Providence area was expedited when the bridge closed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Exactly.
It was literally "going forward" last summer. Here are minutes from October with both the finalized plans and the request for several of the permits from August. This thing was well underway by the time the bridge closure happened.

Old 04-04-2024, 12:09 PM

17,677 posts, read 9,155,986 times
The bottom line is that it's not clear. We simply don't know.

But if you want to keep making assumptions based on processes that you don't understand and information you're not privy to, knock yourself out.

Old 04-04-2024, 12:12 PM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:

But if you want to keep making assumptions based on processes that you don't understand and information you're not privy to, knock yourself out.
He has credible information stop embarrassing yourself redplump

Old 04-04-2024, 12:33 PM

Quote:

It's abundantly clear that they were already going through the permitting process at least as far back as August. That's a fact. If that doesn't make it clear to you that this was "going forward" before the bridge closure, well, that's a you problem.

Old 04-04-2024, 07:45 PM

3,780 posts, read 2,683,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I doubt WF is in the business of competing with itself. The North Main location is my store now, and it's been busy each time I've been - morning/evening, weekday/weekend. I doubt a new Seekonk location is going to hurt it too much. Most likely, WF sees it as an opportunity to attract new customers in the East Bay/Seekonk/Rehoboth/Swansea as well as turn some occasional shoppers into frequent shoppers. The Clarion location is great for nabbing the occasional passerby from 195 as well. Literally right off the highway.
The University Heights store always seems slammed.

I would have expected them to locate in Barrington (or maybe Warren), but maybe your point that the 195 access explains a Seekonk location. It may be attractive to NYC/tri-state vacationers headed to Cape Cod in season. I know friends in Barrington/Warren and a small number of friends in Rehoboth who will be glad to have a Whole Foods a little closer. Maybe the highway access for deliveries played a role in the decision.

I’m pretty surprised that East Greenwich/North Kingstown didn’t happen first. I have friends who make the trek from EG and Newport to go to the WF in Cranston. And the Cranston WF is always busy, though not as busy as University Heights.

Old 04-05-2024, 08:40 AM

72 posts, read 53,469 times
So since its in Mass. I'm hoping it sells alcohol since the ones in RI obviously do not.

Old 04-05-2024, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
The University Heights store always seems slammed.

I would have expected them to locate in Barrington (or maybe Warren), but maybe your point that the 195 access explains a Seekonk location. It may be attractive to NYC/tri-state vacationers headed to Cape Cod in season. I know friends in Barrington/Warren and a small number of friends in Rehoboth who will be glad to have a Whole Foods a little closer. Maybe the highway access for deliveries played a role in the decision.

I’m pretty surprised that East Greenwich/North Kingstown didn’t happen first. I have friends who make the trek from EG and Newport to go to the WF in Cranston. And the Cranston WF is always busy, though not as busy as University Heights.
Yeah, I'm not sure what drove the decision for that specific location, but I have to imagine they see the highway access as a plus. And I also wonder if they view it as the path of least resistance. I'm hard pressed to think of a location in the East Bay where a major new supermarket proposal (even without the restautant and hotel components) wouldn't be met with some pushback over traffic concerns, noise concerns, etc. There are no residential areas abutting the proposed location and it's surrounded by highway, ramps, and big box retail. It's hard to oppose (though I'm sure some will). It's still easily accessible for much of the East Bay and being along 195 probably extends the reach even further. I'm sure you'll get people from as far away as Fall River, Westport, Freetown, Berkley, Rehoboth, etc. that might not have gone if it was further into the East Bay.

Old Today, 11:15 AM

252 posts, read 97,495 times
Quote:
Oh, the irony.

Old Today, 08:28 PM

3,780 posts, read 2,683,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayzoftheweek View Post
So since its in Mass. I'm hoping it sells alcohol since the ones in RI obviously do not.
I think it is very unlikely that a Seekonk Whole Foods would sell alcohol. I was in a Whole Foods in one of the outer Boston ‘burbs this week, and that store did not sell alcoholic beverages. The rule in Mass is that a single retailer may hold at most nine liquor licenses (i.e. 9 locations max). Mass has more than 30 Whole Foods stores already. In order to sell liquor in Seekonk, they’d have to drop alcohol at one of their other licensed Mass stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island