Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM

106,883 posts, read 109,133,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
tell the wife to use the original Pledge, not the lemon, your clothes will smell better ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM

25,899 posts, read 12,926,296 times
My planning to work longer is just going to cause me to pay huge penalties against my future SS income...I'm too young to start collecting now.

My income is too much to start taking SS at 66.5 when I'm eligible...they'll whack me in penalties.

Good problem to have, but I think it stinks not to give my my own money back because I'm still making a lot of money.

Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM

28,694 posts, read 18,846,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
actually people do need someone to present reality to them evidently.

survey after survey has them saying they will work to various older ages .

however follow ups show most never do
The government is saying so as well, even in the face of industry wanting old people out.

And there is a health threat looming over X-gen and younger posed by the bad food environment and eating habits that became "normal" in the 80s.

Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM

7,695 posts, read 3,314,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The government is saying so as well, even in the face of industry wanting old people out.

And there is a health threat looming over X-gen and younger posed by the bad food environment and eating habits that became "normal" in the 80s.

I have heard it saves them money on their health insurance because getting older people out of the company insurance improves their risk profile. I mean besides the fact that younger people think that older people should just hurry up and die already...

Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I have heard it saves them money on their health insurance because getting older people out of the company insurance improves their risk profile. I mean besides the fact that younger people think that older people should just hurry up and die already...
Boomers gain some advantage because we were at least adults by the time we started tearing out systems down. Younger generations started out bad and will become decrepit much earlier. I may still be alive and lifting weights when my son dies of diabetes or stroke.

Old Today, 04:44 AM

16,323 posts, read 10,454,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Commuting was $400+ a month for me when I retired in 2016. Now back to work FT for a while, between the senior fare, about half price, for the train, and the miracle of hybrid/3 days in office, 2 wfh, it's not nearly as painful.
That's great to read, I'm glad for you. But for those of us with a car who commuted 5 days a week the costs would not go down, only up as prices rise.

Old Today, 05:29 AM

24,715 posts, read 9,518,969 times
Quote:
working longer is not our choice . its a choice determined by our employer , the economy , our health and the health of those we are responsible for .
This is true. Which is why some people must be willing to retire abroad if they can't afford retirement in America.

Old Today, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
This is true. Which is why some people must be willing to retire abroad if they can't afford retirement in America.
or golden girl it as it’s called.

no one is guaranteed they can afford to live alone

Last edited by mathjak107; Today at 05:44 AM..

Old Today, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
once an older employee reaches 65 they have to take medicare part A so that is a big plus for a work place insurance company , who now has a partner in your health care

Old Today, 07:08 AM

Quote:
once an older employee reaches 65 they have to take medicare part A so that is a big plus for a work place insurance company , who now has a partner in your health care
It's not enough of a plus for them to keep on older workers if they have developed a policy of forcing out older workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement