Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM

22,011 posts, read 13,047,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
actually people do need someone to present reality to them evidently.

survey after survey has them saying they will work to various older ages .

however follow ups show most never do
Again, I believe those people are just saying they intent to work as long as they can, and more power to them. Obviously none of us can predict, much less control, the future.

Last edited by otterhere; Yesterday at 02:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM

7,925 posts, read 3,892,105 times
My calendar is at least as full as it was when I worked for a living. Most every retiree I know comments, "I don't know how I ever fit work into my schedule."

Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
My calendar is at least as full as it was when I worked for a living. Most every retiree I know comments, "I don't know how I ever fit work into my schedule."
Seems like kind of a non sequitur; satisfaction with retirement isn't really the topic. But posting on C-D must be high priority, because a lot of these busy retirees sure find the time to post here regularly! I readily admit that whenever I do so, it's out of boredom.

Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM

77 posts, read 19,899 times
Quote:
we find the opposite . we need way more entertainment in retirement then consumed working
I don't see how that's possible if you are healthy. Most here join clubs, we have wonderful gardening, cycling, foraging, knitting, historical clubs. Many meet for coffee 1x a week. Join gyms, swim in the river. Some buy a winter snow ski pass. All is fairly inexpensive for locals though the world class ski resorts charge up the rear for the tourists or part timers. There is time to learn to cook and eat healthy, wow we love the food we cook. No matter how much you spend here, the food isn't nearly as good OR as healthy. We are fitter than we've ever been. We have time to see our friends, go to church, etc. Yet we still feel there isn't enough time in the day for everything we want to do.

Yes,it sounds like your friends traded one stress for another and less pay & benefits. Might be wise to start a small business doing something you enjoy instead. Many here sell a few times a month at the farmers market. We call it a downtown sale so they don't need to go thru the red tape of a farmers market but do quite well. Mostly it's the Mexicans who do this, their wives don't speak very good English. We just got our last snow, the snowmobilers will be up tomorrow. Sorry to hear about your Dad having to move and not see grandkids. We don't have family so that is not a worry, we have friends, luckily. Came from small families now everyone is dead or his brothers moved to another state so essentially, left us alone after our parents passed away.

I still cannot see how retirement could possibly cost more, that makes no sense to me. You almost have to really be trying to be extravagant and eat like crap. The restaurants here, despite it being a world class ski town, are junk. Non-Organic junk. We are too spoiled to waste time waiting in line, waiting for a crappy meal. A grocery chain here has a 100% Organic salad bar for $12 a pound, it's better than the restaurants here. Even if they were good, not worth it. We have Mtn biking, cribbage club, Friendly neighbors club, museums, volunteer opportunities all over the place. The opportunities are endless...

Last edited by Zippiee; Yesterday at 06:25 PM..

Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM

13,671 posts, read 9,746,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippiee View Post
I still cannot see how retirement could possibly cost more, that makes no sense to me. ...
As an employee, I have/had frequent company lunches, including free-flowing booze. Outings to play golf, go-karts and the like. Business travel, sometimes international, where it was readily possible to add extra days at marginal personal expense to do museums etc. Company provided snacks, coffee, free internet, copy machine and office supplies. Laptop too. So many of the various daily basics were covered. A retiree would have to self-fund that. Oh, and it was possible to use the machine shop for personal things... tools, metal, carbon fiber and so on. Company gym. Use company tools to work on my car. Some of my coworkers were professional mechanics, welders, electricians... their expertise was also free. A retiree would have to self-generate all of that. Employment is like a club, a frat-house. Lose your job, and you lose all of that... and have to personally shoulder the cost.

Old Yesterday, 10:00 PM

It makes no sense to you? Really??? Take me, for instance... On a typical day, I would walk to work, brown-bag my lunch, use the office equipment for my personal business (that was okay with my employer), then spend the evening with my cats reading or watching TV before getting up to do it again the next day. I was also bringing in twice the money I do in retirement. Now all I do is spend constantly to drive here, drive there, do this, do that, socialize, travel, dine out, etc. Otherwise, I would stare at the four walls all day and go crazy. It is MUCH more expensive to a ridiculous degree.

Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM

4,343 posts, read 7,252,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
As an employee, I have/had frequent company lunches, including free-flowing booze. Outings to play golf, go-karts and the like. Business travel, sometimes international, where it was readily possible to add extra days at marginal personal expense to do museums etc. Company provided snacks, coffee, free internet, copy machine and office supplies. Laptop too. So many of the various daily basics were covered. A retiree would have to self-fund that. Oh, and it was possible to use the machine shop for personal things... tools, metal, carbon fiber and so on. Company gym. Use company tools to work on my car. Some of my coworkers were professional mechanics, welders, electricians... their expertise was also free. A retiree would have to self-generate all of that. Employment is like a club, a frat-house. Lose your job, and you lose all of that... and have to personally shoulder the cost.
True, employers often provide some level of perks that a retiree is no longer entitled to, or would have to pay for themselves out-of-pocket.

For me, the biggest loss was heavily-subsidized medical dental and vison insurance. Employee only paid a small percentage of the premiums. Plus, I was always provided some basic level of life insurance 100% paid by the employer. Medicare Part B premium alone is A LOT more than I ever paid for employer group insurance.

Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
True, employers often provide some level of perks that a retiree is no longer entitled to or would have to pay for themselves out-of-pocket.
"The hidden paycheck" is usually quite substantial when you add it all up; I know it was in my case.

Old Today, 12:13 AM

7,684 posts, read 3,309,766 times
Quote:
good show on consuelo mack.

only thing was i was surprised the guest , who is a phd and acknowledged expert on this stuff said at the end spend your 401k first as ss is giving you 6 to 8% in return , which is not true as most of us know .

its zero until well down the road an increase is not a return.

but other then that i agree with what she said .

working longer is not our choice . its a choice determined by our employer , the economy , our health and the health of those we are responsible for .

most who claim they will work longer or until they drop , for one reason or another cant

https://wealthtrack.com/influential-...ment-solution/

Oh, I think they mean that you compress your payments into a shorter period of time so they are higher. But, they always preface it by saying "if you can...".

People could work if they are willing to humble themselves.

It's actually a good opportunity to do something else that maybe is more of a fit than your career ever was. It's probably a good idea to be able to sell some service you provide (or something) to be able to generate a little income in retirement (like you do MJ).

Last edited by Wile E. Coyote; Today at 01:04 AM..

Old Today, 01:44 AM

106,856 posts, read 109,114,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippiee View Post
I don't see how that's possible if you are healthy. Most here join clubs, we have wonderful gardening, cycling, foraging, knitting, historical clubs. Many meet for coffee 1x a week. Join gyms, swim in the river. Some buy a winter snow ski pass. All is fairly inexpensive for locals though the world class ski resorts charge up the rear for the tourists or part timers. There is time to learn to cook and eat healthy, wow we love the food we cook. No matter how much you spend here, the food isn't nearly as good OR as healthy. We are fitter than we've ever been. We have time to see our friends, go to church, etc. Yet we still feel there isn't enough time in the day for everything we want to do.

Yes,it sounds like your friends traded one stress for another and less pay & benefits. Might be wise to start a small business doing something you enjoy instead. Many here sell a few times a month at the farmers market. We call it a downtown sale so they don't need to go thru the red tape of a farmers market but do quite well. Mostly it's the Mexicans who do this, their wives don't speak very good English. We just got our last snow, the snowmobilers will be up tomorrow. Sorry to hear about your Dad having to move and not see grandkids. We don't have family so that is not a worry, we have friends, luckily. Came from small families now everyone is dead or his brothers moved to another state so essentially, left us alone after our parents passed away.

I still cannot see how retirement could possibly cost more, that makes no sense to me. You almost have to really be trying to be extravagant and eat like crap. The restaurants here, despite it being a world class ski town, are junk. Non-Organic junk. We are too spoiled to waste time waiting in line, waiting for a crappy meal. A grocery chain here has a 100% Organic salad bar for $12 a pound, it's better than the restaurants here. Even if they were good, not worth it. We have Mtn biking, cribbage club, Friendly neighbors club, museums, volunteer opportunities all over the place. The opportunities are endless...
come to new york city and tell us what you do and what it cost …swim in the lake ? ha ha what lake .

what i can’t believe is your statement that you don’t see how it’s possible and you do not live here while telling us about things that don’t exist here

gardening isn’t the intense cardio i need for my diabetes and pressure , besides no garden.

we not only belong to one gym but 2 and we utilize the equipment at both .

just parking a car on our streets cost money .

visiting the kids is more than 30 dollars in just tolls to westchester or jersey .

groceries run us over 200 a week here

things that are free in other states here cost a lot of money so unless one wants to walk around the block time cost money here.

we have memberships we pay for every popular places we go or the admissions are serious dollars . we are in to photography

we frequent the bronx zoo and ny botanical gardens . both can cost 15-20 bucks just to park without a membership with admission for 2 double that , plus 20 bucks in tolls to get there in the bronx .

u stalky we will grab something on the go to eat where ever we are out photographing.

2 eggs and toast today is 35 dollars .

so you have no idea what life in other places can be like if you say i don’t see how it’s possible to spend more being home .

actually my work expenses were less .. i brought lunch and drove less each day then being home.

we purposely left a cheaper area when we had the house in the poconos ..

we couldn’t retire there surviving on gardening , walks around the lake and the high school football games .. there was just nothing to do all winter and the summers were getting boring as heck

Last edited by mathjak107; Today at 02:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement