Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 12:58 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,018,707 times

Advertisements

I don't know if it's me or not, but do these people that have accidents just stay TOO DAMMED LONG in the way of the traffic that is trying to move. Why don't they just haul them out of the way with a tow truck so that other drivers can get to where they need to go? They tie up people like crazy. Sometimes, it looks like they're comparing each other's finger nail polishes rather than trying to productively get the hell out of everyone's way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 08:12 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,827,129 times
What does "too long" mean?

Some reasons I can think of: The car might be inoperable. The tow truck takes time to get there.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:27 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,639,225 times
Lots of time the cars are operable, but people are clueless and want to wait for the police to arrive and write a report and they want to "preserve the scene".

They'll even go so far as to claim there is injury in their 911 call because they know police wont respond to traffic accidents where no one is hurt.

It's especially silly in rear end accidents. One party is at fault and its almost always the person who hit the other one with very few exceptions. This is why we have insurance and deductibles.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:46 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,978,876 times
Q: Why does a two-mile bumper-to-bumper backup happen when a cop is issuing a ticket on the right shoulder?

A: Because people are morons.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:49 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Lots of time the cars are operable, but people are clueless and want to wait for the police to arrive and write a report and they want to "preserve the scene"..
Hello? This is what police require so they can make an evaluation and write a report. If people move their cars, police have a harder time of determining the facts of the case.

Why does the OP assume both drivers in any accident are women? Comparing nail polish? wtf?

Old 06-24-2013, 11:10 AM

223 posts, read 471,252 times
Take a couple of snapshots on your phone of the configuration of the accident and then move your car to the shoulder I say. I'm the guy who rolls his window down and screams at these inconsiderates as I pass by them.

I've always told my friends that if I was king for a day I'd implement an "inconvenience fine." Essentially, if you are found to be at fault for something that causes great inconveniences to other individuals it is going to cost you some dough. I think $1000 is good amount for a first offense.

#1 example for getting fined would be a car accident for which you are at fault. I don't care if it was an "accident." Something in your lack of ability caused the accident and ruined everyone else's day.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:07 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,639,225 times
^^^^exactly

Old 06-24-2013, 06:58 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,948,158 times
Fontucky has a valid point, though I hesitate to brand everyone as a "moron". As far as Ruth4Truth's statement, most law enforcement agencies will not respond to a traffic accident unless there are life-threatening injuries or a fatality. Taking a report for a fender-bender or any type of non-injury accident, unless it involves public property, takes away resources best needed for more important police-related calls.

Law enforcement and fire agencies do the best they can to alleviate traffic jams, but in all cases, they position their repective vehicles to protect the on-scene emergency personnel. Once they are done, they get out as fast as possible to get traffic moving again.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:49 PM

23,585 posts, read 24,114,904 times
Accidents are a big inconvenience, to both those involved and those just passing by. But, sometimes, the scene needs to be "preserved", so that photos are taken and police reports (if they respond) are completed, Some drivers, have been known to "change the story" about what happened, so this step is critical for collection of evidence.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:08 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
Fontucky has a valid point, though I hesitate to brand everyone as a "moron". As far as Ruth4Truth's statement, most law enforcement agencies will not respond to a traffic accident unless there are life-threatening injuries or a fatality. Taking a report for a fender-bender or any type of non-injury accident, unless it involves public property, takes away resources best needed for more important police-related calls.

Law enforcement and fire agencies do the best they can to alleviate traffic jams, but in all cases, they position their repective vehicles to protect the on-scene emergency personnel. Once they are done, they get out as fast as possible to get traffic moving again.
This must be an LA thing. There must not be enough law enforcement to deal with traffic accidents. Insurance generally requires a police report. Except in LA, apparently. The law in some states says that if the damage is above $500, the drivers must call the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: