Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 04:00 PM

3,090 posts, read 1,551,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Yes, that's what the poster meant.

I am actually in favor of something more than just having to pass a vision test for older drivers, maybe an actual modified driving test or some kind of physical test every eight years or so.
I've seen far too many elderly drivers put themselves and/or others in danger because of confusion, poor hearing (especially in response to emergency vehicles), slow response times, and physical impairments that aren't adjusted for (inability to firmly grasp the steering wheel, unable to to turn head to check blind spots, etc)
well Ive seen extremely severe accidents resulting in severe injuries/ death frequently. And those drivers arent elderly. Try in their 20s and 30s . I dont hear anyone saying so lets retest those drivers. Ok to be in your 20s and kill innocent people. Drugs, alcohol, speeding. common anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2024, 04:04 PM

3,090 posts, read 1,551,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
One question: If you take away a senior's driver's license because of their age, how are they to live if they are in an area with no public transportation.

I would rather see a driving test, as well as an eye test, when the license is renewed. . . for all people. I know some people who are not seniors who are a menace behind the wheel. According to statistics, the worst drivers are those between the ages of 25 and 34. The next worst are drivers over 80. I think it depends on the individual.

Some of our politicians seem to think that giving someone a driver's license will make them a better driver.
you dont even have to be a citizen in my state to get a license now. almost anyone.

Old 04-28-2024, 04:55 PM

17,603 posts, read 13,383,640 times
MrsM took my Mother in Law to get her renewal when she was 98 (she's 100.5 now)

The only problem was she took he while driving home from eye appt and eyes were refracted

She couldn't read the chart and asked if she could put her readers on. Clerk said OK

So, she was renewed for 5 years

Old 04-28-2024, 05:18 PM

23,338 posts, read 18,903,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
One question: If you take away a senior's driver's license because of their age, how are they to live if they are in an area with no public transportation.
Well, that's the time when the person must seriously consider moving somewhere they can get the services they need. Either that or they depend on Uber/taxis, family, friends, neighbors, or possibly a benevolent organization that offers ride support (church, civic group, etc.). They could also just flout the DMV...if they don't do stupid stuff while behind the wheel it might be some time before they get caught. Hopefully before they kill someone.

Old 04-28-2024, 07:14 PM

3,059 posts, read 3,326,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Antonio View Post
I am sorry. I can't understand this paragraph. Probably because of my poor command of English. Does that mean they confuse the brake with the accelerator?
Yes. Instead of using brake they hit gas. Then with the power of the car accelerate rapidly until they hit something or someone. Some will end up driving into house. Once you get off pavement becomes more difficult to stop. At their age may be less mobile to put foot on brake & press down. Or they may have been distracted & use the right foot to press down on first thing they can do. If they don't lift the foot press down on wrong pedal. Same deal if they go wrong way on highway.

Can be sensational news if they drive car into building & you see it on camera. You may see at Target or other stores a post to hit instead of the front glass door. At other locations you may jump the curb. In a street there may be other barriers to get you to slow down.

Old 04-28-2024, 08:03 PM

2,308 posts, read 1,529,990 times
Not in the US, but in our state of NSW we have to have a medical assessment every year once we turn 75. Then when we turn 85, we can move to a restricted licence where we may only travel about 5 miles from home. Or to keep an unrestricted licence we have to take a full twenty minute on road assessment every two years.

Obviously the unrestricted licence is needed much more by rural residents. In places like Sydney, with awful traffic, many are happy to have a restricted licence and people often self-limit their driving to cope with the conditions.

We met some Americans from Chicago on a tour last year. The lady and I were laughing about how we seem to have the same driving anxieties, hating merging on expressways, turning right in our case and left in hers etc. Also many seniors find the current headlights difficult!

Old 04-28-2024, 08:50 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,398,574 times
My late wife had not driven for about 8 years, but she kept her license because it was government issued photo ID. When it was up for renewal, she planned to trade it for a photo ID card.

I still drive local suburban streets without problem, I have never scared any passenger. I am 90, live by myself and most of my trips are to the grocery store. It is many decades since I last rode a bus or other public transportation. I have never ridden on Uber or Lyft.

If I have to give up my car, I will probably move to a retirement home. Moving is not something I look forward to.

Old 04-28-2024, 09:05 PM

514 posts, read 271,668 times
At 76 I recently relocated from one state to another, passed the vision test without glasses and perfect on the questions. For now I feel safe enough. But if and when the time comes when I am a danger on the road, I will sell my car and surrender my license. Just passing the test is not actually good enough.

Until recently I lived in a rural area where a DL was necessary. Now I can walk to pretty much every store I need to go to. But still drive around 3,000 miles a year, mostly just around suburbia.

Strangely I feel safer here surrounded by traffic and impatient drivers than I did driving rural. They keep me on my toes. It is all about staying focused and staying aware. As long as I can drive safely I will continue. Of course I avoid more stressing situations like rush hour. Have to be sensible. And honest about one's own abilities and limitations.

Having made my move I am ready for the next step ( not being able to drive ). Maybe another year or ten, doesn't matter, either I or one of my kids will know when it is time.

Old 04-28-2024, 10:08 PM

5,330 posts, read 6,027,018 times
My driver's license will be renewed in 2 years. If I renew online 1 month before the expiration date, the MVA will use my old license photo for the new license. I'll be 74 at the time of renewal, and the renewed license will get me through another 8 years. Rinse and repeat?

Old Yesterday, 03:58 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,172,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
well Ive seen extremely severe accidents resulting in severe injuries/ death frequently. And those drivers arent elderly. Try in their 20s and 30s . I dont hear anyone saying so lets retest those drivers. Ok to be in your 20s and kill innocent people. Drugs, alcohol, speeding. common anymore.
No need to get defensive, it's a fact that we have physical changes as we age. I see it beginning in myself. Now if you can find some way to effectively test young people for recklessness, bravado, or habitually getting high or drunk as part of a driving test, by all means, let us implement that too. Apples to oranges here....

I am however of the opinion that all drivers should have to retake the driving part of the test at least once every ten years just for general competency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement