Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,168,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Antonio View Post
I am sorry. I can't understand this paragraph. Probably because of my poor command of English. Does that mean they confuse the brake with the accelerator?
Yes, that's what the poster meant.

I am actually in favor of something more than just having to pass a vision test for older drivers, maybe an actual modified driving test or some kind of physical test every eight years or so.
I've seen far too many elderly drivers put themselves and/or others in danger because of confusion, poor hearing (especially in response to emergency vehicles), slow response times, and physical impairments that aren't adjusted for (inability to firmly grasp the steering wheel, unable to to turn head to check blind spots, etc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Antonio View Post
Thank you. I found this paragraph in the link: Driving laws are different in every state. However, there are no states that require older drivers to surrender their license because of their age.
In accordance with this, I was surprised to read in the news that the well-known actor Dick Van Dyke had been in an accident. I thought it was a contradiction that a country like the U.S., which is quite strict in granting driver's licenses, would allow a man of almost 100 years of age get one.
United States federal government does *NOT* grant drivers licenses, individual states have that power.

By USC (United States Constitution) all powers not mentioned in Constitution as belonging to federal government devolve upon individual states, and those rights are sacrosanct. Federal laws cannot contravene or interfere with states unless it touches something under federal control such as interstate commerce, transit, etc....

Driving an automobile in USA is seen as something that gives great freedom and independence. Few if any states are willing to take on senior citizens and their lobby (who often are reliable and consistent voters) by making changes to laws that would automatically take away drivers licenses at a certain age.

What states do is establish baseline health fact such as required vision testing. Persons either pass, pass with restrictions on license or fail (license removed).

https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/motor-ve...reased%2034%25.

https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/c...nd-statistics/

https://www.cdc.gov/transportationsa...ers/index.html

Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Yes, that's what the poster meant.

I am actually in favor of something more than just having to pass a vision test for older drivers, maybe an actual modified driving test or some kind of physical test every eight years or so.
I've seen far too many elderly drivers put themselves and/or others in danger because of confusion, poor hearing (especially in response to emergency vehicles), slow response times, and physical impairments that aren't adjusted for (inability to firmly grasp the steering wheel, unable to to turn head to check blind spots, etc)
New York State among others already has such laws on their books.

"New York State Vehicle & Traffic Law Section 506 (1) states that: "If the Commissioner has "reasonable grounds" to believe that a person holding a license is not qualified to drive a motor vehicle, the Commissioner may require such person submit to an examination to determine their qualifications."

https://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/dm...ving%20ability.

Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM

2,908 posts, read 2,148,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
New York State among others already has such laws on their books.

"New York State Vehicle & Traffic Law Section 506 (1) states that: "If the Commissioner has "reasonable grounds" to believe that a person holding a license is not qualified to drive a motor vehicle, the Commissioner may require such person submit to an examination to determine their qualifications."

https://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/dm...ving%20ability.
MAY require.

probably quite a few states have a provision like that. you'll find it's a really gray, squishy area when it comes to actually revoking licenses.

it seems, based on nothing but a 'feeling', families are often the ones to intervene more often than not as opposed to a state govt.

Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
MAY require.

probably quite a few states have a provision like that. you'll find it's a really gray, squishy area when it comes to actually revoking licenses.

it seems, based on nothing but a 'feeling', families are often the ones to intervene more often than not as opposed to a state govt.
It's likely "squishy" not to provoke backlash and or lawsuits from any particular group.

If NYS for instance went after elderly or senior citizen drivers AARP and others would lose their minds. Citing of course there must be safety but not at expense of penalizing one particular group.

Since senior citizens and elderly are a large and reliable voting bloc, no politician is going to risk ticking them off.

Personally feel all drivers should be retested for skills (as in road test) periodically.

You have people out there who passed their road test when teenagers and that was many years ago now. Over years they've picked up some nasty habits and or forgotten skills. Latter is if they had certain things down pat at all.

Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
It's likely "squishy" not to provoke backlash and or lawsuits from any particular group.

If NYS for instance went after elderly or senior citizen drivers AARP and others would lose their minds. Citing of course there must be safety but not at expense of penalizing one particular group.

Since senior citizens and elderly are a large and reliable voting bloc, no politician is going to risk ticking them off.

Personally feel all drivers should be retested for skills (as in road test) periodically.

You have people out there who passed their road test when teenagers and that was many years ago now. Over years they've picked up some nasty habits and or forgotten skills. Latter is if they had certain things down pat at all.
yep.

I, too, think a road test might be advantageous at a certain point. and now my state renews for 8 years! that will put me at almost 80 b/4 a new vision test will be needed. good lord.

Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM

1,094 posts, read 1,277,779 times
One question: If you take away a senior's driver's license because of their age, how are they to live if they are in an area with no public transportation.

I would rather see a driving test, as well as an eye test, when the license is renewed. . . for all people. I know some people who are not seniors who are a menace behind the wheel. According to statistics, the worst drivers are those between the ages of 25 and 34. The next worst are drivers over 80. I think it depends on the individual.

Some of our politicians seem to think that giving someone a driver's license will make them a better driver.

Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM

306 posts, read 62,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
yep.

I, too, think a road test might be advantageous at a certain point. and now my state renews for 8 years! that will put me at almost 80 b/4 a new vision test will be needed. good lord.
Ohhhh... I was thinking as an option, to change my place of residence to the village in the mountains where I have my cabin. I think they are much more flexible there than in the city. But... 8 years??? Really by someone who is already senior? Without a doubt your state is the best I could get. Please let me know what state it is.

Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM

25,459 posts, read 9,821,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Maybe a mod can move this to the Retirement Forum.

Driver's licenses are handled on a US State level. You can find details on the individual states' DMV or DoT site.

Personally I do not plan on driving once I feel the slightest bit uncomfortable and/or not in control. It does not matter if I have or do not have a license.
The state of Georgia just gave my Mumsy a license for five years. She is night blind, needs a hip replacement and is starting to confuse things at 86. The license keeps her in her house and allows her some social contact. Please CD - do not inquire where SO and I fit into the equation.

Mod note: thread moved and this post merged into Retirement thread. Post #2 is actually the opening post.
Not sure what needing a hip replacement has to do with having a driver's license.

Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Not sure what needing a hip replacement has to do with having a driver's license.
depending on how long one puts it off and the level of pain and the impacted leg, it can interfere with your ability to accelerate/break.

I had a great aunt who put off her hip for the longest time, she was in incredible pain but would not make that leap. we asked her about driving/braking. her solution was to just speed through the intersection instead. bloody hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement