Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM

9,182 posts, read 6,216,162 times

Advertisements

Don't blame granny for automobile accidents.

Actually, the rate of accidents, per 100,000 drivers goes down as age increases.

While drivers over the age of 75 make up about 8.5% of licensed drivers, they account for only 3.7% of accidents.

The angst parents have when their children start to drive is real. Teenage drivers aged 16-19 are 3.6% of licensed drivers, but account for 9.6% of all accidents.

https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/motor-ve...age-of-driver/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM

3,090 posts, read 1,551,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
No need to get defensive, it's a fact that we have physical changes as we age. I see it beginning in myself. Now if you can find some way to effectively test young people for recklessness, bravado, or habitually getting high or drunk as part of a driving test, by all means, let us implement that too. Apples to oranges here....

I am however of the opinion that all drivers should have to retake the driving part of the test at least once every ten years just for general competency.
of course we have physical changes but it infuriates me that the press makes sure when an elderly person has an accident no matter how minor or severe their age is always mentioned. But the young who overturn their cars ,plow into others, kill innocent people etc, their ages are never mentioned. If that isnt a deliberate attempt to increase voter resistance to the elderly driving or even living in some places I dont know what is.

Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,050,629 times
My aunt is 96 and still driving in her small town over a familiar route. Her sons live nearby and I’m sure they monitor this. She is frail, but definitely still has all her marbles. I don’t know when she last renewed.

Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM

8,778 posts, read 5,071,204 times
I am more leary about young people who text while driving, and coming out of bars, then I am of granny.

Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM

33,286 posts, read 26,487,831 times
I'm 70. I gave up driving about four years ago and resumed driving earlier this year. But I had to renew my driver's license back in 2022 and was able to mail in my renewal form. I just had to state that my vision had not changed. The license is good until 2031. Previously, I had to renew my license every four years so I was surprised at the expanded renewal time. I live in Texas.

Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM

7,861 posts, read 3,850,659 times
Q; How seniors manage their driver's license in the U.S.?

A: I don't know about other people, but I just put my driver's license in my wallet.

Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM

9,182 posts, read 6,216,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
I am more leary about young people who text while driving, and coming out of bars, then I am of granny.

And based on the accident numbers, you are right to be concerned about young people. They have much higher accident rates than granny.

Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM

11,083 posts, read 6,658,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Not in the US, but in our state of NSW we have to have a medical assessment every year once we turn 75. Then when we turn 85, we can move to a restricted licence where we may only travel about 5 miles from home. Or to keep an unrestricted licence we have to take a full twenty minute on road assessment every two years.

Obviously the unrestricted licence is needed much more by rural residents. In places like Sydney, with awful traffic, many are happy to have a restricted licence and people often self-limit their driving to cope with the conditions.

We met some Americans from Chicago on a tour last year. The lady and I were laughing about how we seem to have the same driving anxieties, hating merging on expressways, turning right in our case and left in hers etc. Also many seniors find the current headlights difficult!
Good for Oz. Sounds like they have the aging driver well in hand. Where we live, just pay a $300 bribe to the right official, and you're all good.

We stopped driving in 2016 (age 61) and haven't missed it. I would worry more about the new-car gadgets I'm not used to, so we don't rent cars either. Our last one was 2007 and we're not up on the latest car computerized "accessories".

I enjoyed driving, and am surprised we don't miss it. Thought we would. Maybe 'cause there's nowhere we want to go here, lol. When we visit SoCal, everything is walking distance so we don't need transpo much and use Uber/light rail when we do.

We went through the aging scenario with my dad in his 80s when he started getting TIAs and mini-black-outs. Got his keys taken away, but miraculously, he was able to get his license back the next year. Never expected that. It was so hard on him, being so restless and independent, so we were glad.

Old Yesterday, 04:44 PM

8,818 posts, read 21,290,844 times
So many places have very poor public transportation systems and that is probably a reason as well.
In Europe there are buses and trains that take people from place to place.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM

311 posts, read 63,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
In Europe there are buses and trains that take people from place to place.
Not just in Europe. Here in Argentina, despite the precariousness in which we live, there is public transport even in the most remote places. That's why I was surprised when I visited Virginia (US) and because I didn't have a car, I was kind of stranded in the small towns of the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement