Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,921,225 times

Advertisements

Maybe a mod can move this to the Retirement Forum.

Driver's licenses are handled on a US State level. You can find details on the individual states' DMV or DoT site.

Personally I do not plan on driving once I feel the slightest bit uncomfortable and/or not in control. It does not matter if I have or do not have a license.
The state of Georgia just gave my Mumsy a license for five years. She is night blind, needs a hip replacement and is starting to confuse things at 86. The license keeps her in her house and allows her some social contact. Please CD - do not inquire where SO and I fit into the equation.

Mod note: thread moved and this post merged into Retirement thread. Post #2 is actually the opening post.

Last edited by PJSaturn; Yesterday at 11:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM

300 posts, read 62,655 times
Default How seniors manage their driver's license in the U.S.?

I'll tell you a little bit about how it's in Argentina: passing the driving test is a joke, compared to the one you have in the US. In the road test, you're likely to pass unless you run over one of the instructors with your car or something.The theoretical exam consists of 20 questions out of possible 160, which have invariably been the same for many years. The only physical exam required is the eyes one.
Validation lasts for 5 years. I took my last exam in March 2020 and I have to renew it in March 2025. By then I'll be very close to turning 70, and that's when the problem starts.
From what my friends who have already reached that age tell me, they ask for a series of medical studies that involve waste of time and money and that to make things even worse should be done every year, since the validation only lasts for that period of time for seniors.
That's why I'm quite worried about and I wanted to ask you how you handle it over there. Thank you.

Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,168,153 times
Requirement vary from state to state. I don't know how current this is but should give you some of an idea of the possible variations.
https://www.progressive.com/lifelane...laws-by-state/

Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Requirement vary from state to state. I don't know how current this is but should give you some of an idea of the possible variations.
https://www.progressive.com/lifelane...laws-by-state/
Thank you. I found this paragraph in the link: Driving laws are different in every state. However, there are no states that require older drivers to surrender their license because of their age.
In accordance with this, I was surprised to read in the news that the well-known actor Dick Van Dyke had been in an accident. I thought it was a contradiction that a country like the U.S., which is quite strict in granting driver's licenses, would allow a man of almost 100 years of age get one.

Last edited by Luis Antonio; Yesterday at 09:28 AM..

Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM

3,055 posts, read 3,324,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Antonio View Post
Thank you. I found this paragraph in the link: Driving laws are different in every state. However, there are no states that require older drivers to surrender their license because of their age.
In accordance with this, I was surprised the other day to read in the news that the well-known actor Dick Van Dyke had been in an accident. I thought it was a contradiction that a country like the U.S., which is quite strict in granting driver's licenses, would allow a man of almost 100 years of age get one.
Doubt if the US is that strict about granting driver license. In some states becomes a hassle if you must test & retest every year. The test may be a joke if you can do common things. They may not have you do parallel park. What you may see is have request from doctor to restrict driving to daytime only or not.

On the news what you may see is drivers use gas instead of brake to get into crash.

Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM

2,563 posts, read 2,685,618 times
They don't?
lol.

Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM

5,045 posts, read 7,424,034 times
After my mother turned 75, I took her to get her license renewed every year (according to state requirements). At about 78 she failed the vision test, so lost her license. I was glad because she would have been a danger to herself and others had her license been renewed. I took her to an eye doctor who found she had a problem in one eye that she didn't notice, and was irreversible. From then on I drove her where she needed to go.

Driving is a privilege not to be taken lightly, and seniors need to pay attention to their vision and other physical limitations and not assume they have the right to drive and endanger others.

Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,745 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
They don't?
lol.
My insurance agent claims 60% of the drivers in our mandatory insurance state, have no insurance. 50% of those have no Drivers license. I have a neighbor for last 32 yrs, who has never had a DL. He drives every day, often commercially. (Heavy Trucks)

I'm not pleased with $280 renewal (commercial driver license), and due to Hazmat endorsement, it needs renewed every 3 yrs with DOT heath exam every 24 months. Spouse has a 7 yr renewal, ~$70 for 'enhanced' DL. Passport free crossing to cdn and mex.

Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
On the news what you may see is drivers use gas instead of brake to get into crash.
I am sorry. I can't understand this paragraph. Probably because of my poor command of English. Does that mean they confuse the brake with the accelerator?

Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Antonio View Post
In accordance with this, I was surprised to read in the news that the well-known actor Dick Van Dyke had been in an accident. I thought it was a contradiction that a country like the U.S., which is quite strict in granting driver's licenses, would allow a man of almost 100 years of age get one.
Prince Phillip was in wreck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement