Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM

17,400 posts, read 16,547,378 times

Advertisements

I wish I could speak and read Spanish but I've never been good at picking up new languages. I took 3 years of Spanish in HS and the conjugation rules were just brutal for me. Does Duolingo make it easier to learn?

Right now I'm prepping to take the SIE (Securities Industry Essentials) Exam. I had been studying for it, using free resources, at a pretty quick clip but had to put it on the back burner for a bit while I tended to other things. That's the good thing about being this age - I can go at my own pace and start and stall as needed. There is no pressure which I actually think makes it easier to learn.

Last edited by springfieldva; Yesterday at 11:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM

18,733 posts, read 33,406,561 times
I tried duolingo and it's very well designed but I just can't hear languages. Reading a Latin language is one thing, hearing silent letters is another. I gave up on Spanish,

Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I tried duolingo and it's very well designed but I just can't hear languages. Reading a Latin language is one thing, hearing silent letters is another. I gave up on Spanish,
Wow, that is a very good point. I think that not hearing the silent letters might be a big part of it for me, too.

It always fascinates me to see a person who can effortlessly flip between English and Spanish or any other language. That's a very cool skill to have.

Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM

14,319 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I don’t understand what this means. Almost every letter in English can be silent at some point, but there is only one silent letter in Spanish (h). All the other letters are sounded, and sounded in extremely regular and predictable ways. Of course it’s easier to read than to listen, because you can take your time when you read, and even look words up. But I’d really like to know more about this “silent letter” problem!

Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM

18,733 posts, read 33,406,561 times
"ll" rolling rs. When I hear Spanish spoken, it sounds like lalalalalala to me. I found Haitian Creole much simpler, and slow French.

Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM

1,387 posts, read 727,537 times
I have a friend whose husband grew up in Hungary. When I met him, he spoke not only Hungarian but German, Italian, Spanish and of course English. I think growing up in another country with other languages close would make it easier to learn other languages. But then, I could be wrong about that.

I traveled around Europe with this person and was amazed with the switching of languages like it was a breeze. I was very envious. Languages have never been easy for me.

Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amil23 View Post
I remember when I got my SS number. I had to go to the Post Office and fill out some paperwork. I had the idea of getting a job when I was 14 or 15 but my Mom said no one would hire me until I had that magic number. So I got the number in '65' or '66'. My first year of "earnings" in like '67' was less than $100. I'm glad I had SS taken out since I was too stupid to save on my own. In later years at work we would always really get after the youngsters coming in to participate in 401K. Lots of people don't think about it but getting a job with a pension or until recently, a 401K is like hitting the lottery for many.
Another thing hurting people our age is a big chunk of us had our jobs go off-shore (not me particularly) and got laid off, which besides being traumatic is a big interruption in earnings power until one makes it up with new employment.
Getting a pension is the lottery..........

401K is only good IF you fund it! My buddy has a lazy son, never finished 1st year of college, got hired at a big company and my buddy was thrilled to announce that he had a 401K!

So I ask: Yeah but does he fund it? "Deer in headlights" look: My buddy had no idea that you had to divert your money into the program to fund it. Yes some employers match but you still have to put your money in first.

Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHammer View Post
Boomers inherited from their Greatest Generation parents an economic juggernaut in a relatively stable society with incredibly strong and functional institutions.

For those Boomers who didn't bother to save for their own old age, I just can't feel sorry for them.

Help my Millennial butt, who as a life-long frugal saver, continuously employed in the workforce, a veteran, homeowner, with no college debt.....please give me a reason to shed a single tear for broke Boomers.
I think the detriment to the boomers was the spending!

Boomers saw cell phones/cable/satellite tv explode at the peak of their careers followed by the wine explosion (wine clubs, vacations to vineyards), the whole Starbucks or as I call it "Six Bucks" hit. Then leased cars and new luxury brands like Lexus hit the market so they can drive in style to the Country Club

Reminds me of this commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0HX4a5P8eE

Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM

7,602 posts, read 3,265,767 times
Yeah, how many trillions of dollars were spent marketing to boomers? I can only imagine.

Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM

They enjoyed spending every last dime of it, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement