Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 04:33 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times

Advertisements

...what was it like then?

Was there shock that things could change so quickly in 20 years? Did people think the end of the world was here? Did people think humanity was doomed because of the long hair, the civil rights, the drugs, and rebelling youths? Or was it considered just a fad that would blow over and go away? Did all these things seem to happen in another galaxy and your world was never impacted? Or did you come eyeball to eyeball with all the change that was going on?

What were your experiences and those of your parents and especially the experiences of other older people like during this time? What did you think of those times?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2024, 04:37 PM

462 posts, read 284,518 times
I was 16 in 1968. Some of my friends smoked weed and did some stronger stuff but I didn't. Not sure why, but I wasn't attracted to it. I did have long hair and enjoyed the music.
Parents were parents and we now don't understand the youth of today. I think that will always happen.

Old 04-08-2024, 04:39 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I was 15 in 1968, and thought the world would change if Nixon would just take LSD. I still think so.

Old 04-08-2024, 05:00 PM

8,333 posts, read 4,372,464 times
I was born in 1960, in a different country (where, however, people idolized and knew very well American popular culture), and I remember the 60s from the perspective of a child. Some older folks were annoyed with rock music, long hair on boys and mini skirts on girls, but the annoyance was not very serious, and I don't recall anyone thinking it signalized any doom. I remember it as a very optimistic happy time, and a much more relaxed time, when people lived far more in the moment and enjoyed living in it. Long, very long before cellphones and continuous total connectedness with everything.

Old 04-08-2024, 05:35 PM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
I think we thought the end of the world was near more because of the atomic bomb than long hair.

Having duck-under-the desk drills and hearing how much food/water to store in the bomb shelter kinda gave strong feeling of insecurity.

Old 04-08-2024, 05:46 PM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
I was born in San Francisco and grew up there during my school years. I was just starting high school in 1968 and could write a book about my experiences and adventures in that era. The summer of love was in 1967, with concerts at Golden Gate Park and also the Fantasy Fair and Magic Mountain Music Festival at the Memorial Amphitheatre on Mt. Tamalpais in Mill Valley. Admission tickets were $2 with a free bus up the mountain from the bus depot in Mill Valley. This was a pre-Woodstock rock music festival in a beautiful place that turned out to be unforgettable (I still remember it!).

Old 04-08-2024, 06:40 PM

64 posts, read 58,935 times
Entering early teen years, digesting over the fold headlines from my afternoon newspaper route offered further understanding of world events. Summer camps from church and YMCA outings, season pass at the community swimming pool, swatting bugs from family holiday picnic gatherings were as difficult as avoiding relatives one attempted to sway away from.
Youth baseball and staying up later than usual, lead to DXing (keeping a log of distant AM radio stations received). Comparing this information with others served as an unintended geography lesson. CKLW Windsor/Detroit was exceptional.

Old 04-08-2024, 06:59 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
I can't say that I look back at the 60s with fondness. First part going through the duck and cover drills in school; all the talk about nuclear war killing everyone. I remember in 1962 standing on the corner of US#1 in Florida watching the trains full of military vehicles going by south along with truck convoys of troops.

Then later it was my turn to calculate if I wanted to take a chance on possibly dying in some jungle in a war that I had no interest in like a friend from school did. I chose not to take the chance so I enlisted in the US Coast Guard. Then I still wound up on a cutter that did a tour in operation Market Time in Vietnam. Oh well, at least it wasn't in the jungle.

Surviving the 60s was more of a concern to me than long hair, drugs or rebelling youth were. Add in things like the rampant segregation in the south and students being shot on a college campus at Kent State (which was actually in 1970) and that era is not listed in my book of wonderful memories.

Old 04-08-2024, 07:13 PM

7,734 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
...what was it like then?
Pick up a dog-eared copy of Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin.

Old 04-08-2024, 07:18 PM

8,328 posts, read 6,419,063 times
The 60's were the beginning of drugs and all the harm they do from then on. Yes drugs existed before but way underground and never heard of by normal people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement