Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 04:45 AM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
My strongest memory of the 60’s is of my older brother playing his Beach Boys albums on the record player during his high school years. After returning from Vietnam Nam, Jethro Tull was his music choice.
My brother also loved Jethro Tull, as did I. Neither of us ever went to war. But I loved The Beach Boys too. Tull was simply an “era” thing. The Beach Boys went on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2024, 04:52 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
Saw Jethro Tull in Berkeley....after a platefull of "brownies", what a show!

Old 04-10-2024, 05:39 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
My strongest memory of the 60’s is of my older brother playing his Beach Boys albums on the record player during his high school years. After returning from Vietnam Nam, Jethro Tull was his music choice.
Likewise....I left Beach Boys behind....I got home to San Jose to "weed, whites and wine", The Doors, Big Brother, The Youngbloods, Cream, Santana, Country Joe...and my world view changed...I'd have to say for the better.

Old 04-10-2024, 08:01 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I was a freshman in college in the fall of 1967. My biggest worry was that I could get drafted and sent to Viet-Nam at any moment. I had majored in Engineering, not an easy subject. I'll never forget going into my calculus final, a 5 unit course, knowing that if I flunked the final I'd lose my deferment, get drafted into the Army infantry, and be on my way to Viet-Nam.

Talk about motivation! I studied 40 hours for that exam, got 100% and received an A in the course.

Here I am 57 years later and I still have occasional nightmares of that day.
I turned 18 in 1974. My draft status was 1-H, plus I had a high lottery number. I have seen comments from women on this site who didn't seem to think the draft was a big deal for males. Believe me, it was! The thought of being drafted and sent to Vietnam, and possibly shipped home in a body bag, did not appeal to me at all. We had a next door neighbor where I grew up who had been in WWII. He suffered from PTSD, and still lived with his parents. My dad referred to him as one of the uncounted casualties of the war.

What I remember of the 1960s was the increasing crime, the political assassinations, the violent protests & riots. I also remember one of my classmates in high school government class (in the early 1970s) stating that "Capitalism is the system of devils, communism is the system of angels". Oh my!

Old 04-10-2024, 08:30 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I turned 18 in 1974. My draft status was 1-H, plus I had a high lottery number. I have seen comments from women on this site who didn't seem to think the draft was a big deal for males. Believe me, it was! The thought of being drafted and sent to Vietnam, and possibly shipped home in a body bag, did not appeal to me at all. We had a next door neighbor where I grew up who had been in WWII. He suffered from PTSD, and still lived with his parents. My dad referred to him as one of the uncounted casualties of the war.

What I remember of the 1960s was the increasing crime, the political assassinations, the violent protests & riots. I also remember one of my classmates in high school government class (in the early 1970s) stating that "Capitalism is the system of devils, communism is the system of angels". Oh my!
I'm sure you knew back then that you had nothing to worry about. The last men drafted was in December 1972 who were born in 1952 and earlier. You missed the draft by four years. I'm a year older than you. I had lottery number and draft card, but I knew there was no chance of being drafted. The last draftees were discharged in November 1974.

Old 04-10-2024, 09:10 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
This song sums up our belief system during the 60s..."harmony & understanding"--that's what I wanted with all my heart...it was a time of sharing, great music, a wonderful time to be...

Bu then came the Vietnam War, the Kennedy & MLK killings, Kent State.

Our beliefs were dashed to pieces...

Will we ever have harmony & understanding?

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...7&action=click

Old 04-10-2024, 03:30 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I graduated from high school in 1966. A wild party might have included vodka in the punch. I got knocked up and married a guy who checked all the right boxes that same year and set out to be June Cleaver, which I was.

I often wonder what would have happened if I had gone to UMass on schedule? Maybe I would have gone down the rabbit hole of drugs, or become a Moonie, or whatever.

Old 04-10-2024, 03:31 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post

Like so many other things in life, it isn't a big deal if it is happening to someone else.

Old 04-10-2024, 04:09 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
My mother would point to people with long hair and ask me to gender identify, lol.

The Vietnam War was a big deal in my house too.

Old 04-10-2024, 06:38 PM

1,022 posts, read 737,876 times
Sitting in a park in Paris, France
Reading the news and it sure looks bad
They won't give peace a chance
That was just a dream some of us had

-Joni Mitchell-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement