Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM

7,837 posts, read 3,829,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thanks for the advice. Not sure at this stage in life I will go to all that trouble, though. I basically wanted to exercise my brain and maybe prove to myself that I COULD learn algebra, but it's too late to get a degree (well, maybe not, but there would be no purpose for it) and also, at 65, I have to choose what activities on which I will spend my limited remaining time.
Makes sense. As an aside, I've tutored kids with diagnosed forms of non-verbal learning disabilities where they were expected to hit a brick wall in math/spacial reasoning once they hit middle school geometry ... and yet they were successful all the way through high school Calculus. I'm trying to phrase this in a way where it doesn't sound like I'm patting myself on the back - they did the work, and they earned their accomplishments. They just needed a customized learning strategy that I stumbled upon and coached them through.

Quote:
But still, it would be nice to know I COULD.
I'll go out on a limb and forecast you could with a customized learning strategy if you ever wake up one morning & decide that's where you want to spend your time. So sleep well.

And, as an aside, I can't do simple two-digit arithmetic without counting on my fingers. I marvel at others who see a real-world problem using simple arithmetic and they arrive at the correct answer analytically or an estimation strategy to come close - all while I'm about to take my shoes and socks off to count on my toes. Yet I'm quite comfortable with higher abstraction mathematics. It is just how my brain is mis-wired, I guess.

Quote:
I'm learning Spanish in my old age, which will be useful.
Most all of us seniors would do well to learn Spanish. That's how we'll be able to ask aids to change our diapers when we're pushing 100.

Last edited by moguldreamer; Yesterday at 08:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM

7,837 posts, read 3,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I took the math GRE at age 32 and slowly worked my way through the study book. I got a 560 on the GRE, which, while not great, showed me that I could do it.
Congratulations!

Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM

17,399 posts, read 16,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Kind of surprised (should I be?) at the comments on the groceries.

The steak skewers were big sirloin pieces with vegetables. The two skewers were about $8, but that's two meals. The bacon was $10/pack, but BOGO free, so two for $10. $10/pack for Oscar Meyer is about the standard going rate around here now. The raspberries were $4 or $5. The milk was $5. $15 for the soft drinks. The beer was $10 or $11. $9 or $10 is the going rate for a six pack of Bud, Miller, or Coors now. I did get some bananas as well, but those were about $2.

Keep in mind TN charges 5.5% sales tax on the food and about 9.5% on the beer and soft drinks.

It went from about $900 to about $1,800/year, about 1% of the value of the home. The rate doesn't seem to have changed much, but it's being based off the new assessed value. My house has basically doubled in value since I bought it in 2019.

Yes, NY taxes are high, but incomes are also going to be much higher than small town Tennessee.

Going price for a six pack of PBR tall boys is about $10. You might be able to get a six pack of 12 oz. Natural Light, PBR, etc., for under $10 now, but the days of paying $6 or $7 a six pack are over. Case of Bud Light in TN is usually $22-$24. I live a mile from the VA line. VA has much lower taxes on alcohol, and sales taxes are about half TN too.

I usually shop in VA, but wanted some better meat than I can get locally. The grocery store I spent the $57 at is nicer than the mainline regional grocer here. The meat and produce selections are also much better.
Yesterday, I spent $11 on a 6 pack of Craft IPAs and I got a nice bottle of wine on sale for $8. I know that it is all too easy to spend $57 in a grocery store and come out carrying, at most, two grocery bags.

I also know that if I was really pressed for money that I could stretch that same $57 and walk out with a small cart full load of items.

I honestly don't know what the cheapest beer is these days because I don't even look in that section of the beer cooler. Back when I was young, broke and struggling I absolutely would have known.

Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM

10,567 posts, read 7,767,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Starting now until 2030, 30.4 million Americans are expected to turn 65. Many are financially unprepared for retirement and will be relying solely upon SS.

As predicted by some years ago largest cohort of these "peak boomers" will be women, and they in good number (about 52%) lack sufficient financial resources for retirement.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/04/18/wome...rch-finds.html
"Fact #9: Social Security is especially beneficial for women.

Social Security is especially important for women, because they tend to earn less than men, take more time out of the paid workforce, live longer, accumulate less savings, and receive smaller pensions. Women represent more than half of Social Security beneficiaries in their 60s and 7 in 10 beneficiaries in their 90s. In addition, women make up 95 percent of Social Security survivor beneficiaries.

Women benefit disproportionately from the program’s inflation-protected benefits (because they tend to live longer than men), its progressive formula for computing benefits (because they tend to have lower earnings), and its benefits for spouses and survivors."

https://www.cbpp.org/research/policy...ocial-security

Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM

9,520 posts, read 4,346,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Not surprising as womens pay is still ~80% of mens pay. So of course they will have less.
Let's try to have a rational discussion and not fabricate facts out of thin air, shall we? What you posted is empirically and statistically false. Please stop propagating this wage gap nonsense.

Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
My parents graduated college in 1979. The early 1980s recession started shortly after they got out of college. They had elementary education degrees, but could not find a job locally. Dad got into manufacturing, mom got into banking. They did have two teaching jobs in other areas, but ultimately came back here.

I graduated from college in 2010. I was a finance/economics major. I had a related internship. I couldn't even find a bank teller job. I was able to get a job at an IT help desk with a major defense contractor. I was always into tech as a hobby, but didn't want to major in it because I knew it to be long hours with a lot of worker abuse issues.
Huh? I have been in tech my entire career, and though I surely had some long hours, I usually had comp time for that, and never ever experienced (nor heard of) any "abuse".

Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Let's try to have a rational discussion and not fabricate facts out of thin air, shall we? What you posted is empirically and statistically false. Please stop propagating this wage gap nonsense.
I agree. My pay has never been different for other in my positions.

Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM

10,567 posts, read 7,767,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Out of thin air eh. On what basis are you making this assertion?

".. In 2022, women earned an average of 82% of what men earned, according to a new Pew Research Center analysis of median hourly earnings of both full- and part-time workers..."

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-re...time%20workers.

"..Much of the gender pay gap has been explained by measurable factors such as educational attainment, occupational segregation and work experience. The narrowing of the gap over the long term is attributable in large part to gains women have made in each of these dimensions..."

Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM

14,955 posts, read 12,157,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
^^^
Not all Boomers parents did anything about their future or their kids'. I am so tired of the assumption that my working class/poor GG parents gave me anything.
Same thing here. I left home at age 18, as did my Boomer siblings, and made our own ways in the world. We all knew it was completely up to us to sink or swim, we had no help of any kind, financial, or even moral support from our parents. I worked my way through college, attending classes as I could afford to pay for them, got through, found jobs in my chosen profession and continued to work for everything I ( and later we, as part of a married couple) wanted.

I laugh at those assumptions....

Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Makes sense. As an aside, I've tutored kids with diagnosed forms of non-verbal learning disabilities where they were expected to hit a brick wall in math/spacial reasoning once they hit middle school geometry ... and yet they were successful all the way through high school Calculus. I'm trying to phrase this in a way where it doesn't sound like I'm patting myself on the back - they did the work, and they earned their accomplishments. They just needed a customized learning strategy that I stumbled upon and coached them through.

I'll go out on a limb and forecast you could with a customized learning strategy if you ever wake up one morning & decide that's where you want to spend your time. So sleep well.

And, as an aside, I can't do simple two-digit arithmetic without counting on my fingers. I marvel at others who see a real-world problem using simple arithmetic and they arrive at the correct answer analytically or an estimation strategy to come close - all while I'm about to take my shoes and socks off to count on my toes. Yet I'm quite comfortable with higher abstraction mathematics. It is just how my brain is mis-wired, I guess.

Most all of us seniors would do well to learn Spanish. That's how we'll be able to ask aids to change our diapers when we're pushing 100.
Ha! Meanwhile, I was able to order food in Costa Rica last December and I'm finding I can read the ads on the NYC subway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement