Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 12:02 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times

Advertisements

I think mine have gone on strike. I get depressed a lot, and when depressed, sweets always do the trick and I can't even get excited about eating a chocolate candy bar or Gummies. Every thing I eat seems so blah. I did make some Jello with a can of fruit cocktail poured into the Jello and with a dollop of Cool Whip, pretty darn tasty.

I was talking to my 80YO neighbor and she also complains everything tastes so blah to her, as well as my elderly friend in Arkansas who also complains about the blahness.

I was at the store yesterday and thought, how about some tortilla chips with salsa. Nope! Didn't do the trick!

I made up 2 pans of Meatloaf a couple weeks ago, and froze some it, layered with cheese, and even with ketchup or sour cream, the great tase just isn't there.

How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 12:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
No, not my taste buds, but sometimes I just don't have as much appetite at 71. The food still tastes good but I just can't eat as much as I used to. For chocolate, try the salted caramel chocolates at Costco, I'll bet they perk 7up your taste buds. Try a more spicy salsa, and maybe use a good BBQ sauce on the meatloaf.

Old 04-15-2024, 12:55 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Not on strike so much but the sense of taste will dull as you age, especially if you've abused it with cigarettes and alcohol.

Old 04-15-2024, 01:12 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
I’ve had a salty taste in my mouth for a while, some days more than others. Sweet foods tastes sweet and salty. Even black coffee in the morning tastes salty. I did labs for my annual physical and it looks like I’m dehydrated which is likely the cause. I’ll discuss it with my doctor later this week.

Old 04-15-2024, 01:18 PM

307 posts, read 211,057 times
Going through chemo at the moment...My taste buds are gone...It's still good for sweet stuff,like sugar-free jello;ice cream.,flavored greek yogurt,soft cookies(sugar free). But I honestly can't taste even the salty,spicier stuff...it just burns my mouth...also the texture of the food feels differently...home-made burritos taste like cardboard;and can't even taste the ground beef and cheese.

Not only that;the chemo has caused "chemo mouth"..The roof of my mouth feels like an open sore when i try to chew even salads;so does my tongue...it really hurts to chew;so for the past 3 months I'm living on semi-solid food like yogurt,oat bran,ice cream..

On the positive side;I've lost 50 Lbs without even moving;leaving me at 185 Lbs on a 5'10" height which is my 2nd best adult weight ever!

Old 04-15-2024, 01:21 PM

22,560 posts, read 47,614,734 times
It is well documented that smell and taste change as you age.

Old 04-15-2024, 01:39 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
I'm not trying to be optimistically crippling, but my taste buds and appetite are working better than ever. That's one problem I don't have.

Old 04-15-2024, 01:45 PM

160 posts, read 94,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No, not my taste buds, but sometimes I just don't have as much appetite at 71. The food still tastes good but I just can't eat as much as I used to. For chocolate, try the salted caramel chocolates at Costco, I'll bet they perk 7up your taste buds. Try a more spicy salsa, and maybe use a good BBQ sauce on the meatloaf.

Oh, those chocolates...delicious!

Old 04-15-2024, 02:12 PM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I think mine have gone on strike. I get depressed a lot, and when depressed, sweets always do the trick and I can't even get excited about eating a chocolate candy bar or Gummies. Every thing I eat seems so blah. I did make some Jello with a can of fruit cocktail poured into the Jello and with a dollop of Cool Whip, pretty darn tasty.

I was talking to my 80YO neighbor and she also complains everything tastes so blah to her, as well as my elderly friend in Arkansas who also complains about the blahness.

I was at the store yesterday and thought, how about some tortilla chips with salsa. Nope! Didn't do the trick!

I made up 2 pans of Meatloaf a couple weeks ago, and froze some it, layered with cheese, and even with ketchup or sour cream, the great tase just isn't there.

How about you?
This sounds lie cafeteria or hospital food. Yes, it is probably very bland. Go out for lunch with friends. Try something you never had before. Slice some cheese, salami, fruit and open a bottle of wine. Call a friend to play cards. Go tot a farmers market ad look for something colorful, fresh. Go basic and cook a slice of beef tenderloin and enjoy it.

Old 04-15-2024, 05:21 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

How about you?
Note the bolded. Depression suppresses the ability to feel pleasure/reward. That can certainly alter the taste of food. It isn't your taste buds, and it isn't the food. It's your brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement