Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 04:31 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,170,699 times

Advertisements

A medical facility for Colonoscopy and Endoscopy.

Doctors and the facility for the procedures say Uber is not permitted yet none of the facilities or doctors office has anything to help with transportation both ways. Maybe I am remembering wrong, but I could have sworn they use to provide or recommend transportation with a company, drivers they know don't have a criminal record. But now even when the patient offers to pay for the transportation, they won't do it.

Now there may be one or two Doctors who have a service but it's in another state which is no help at all.

Taxi's only now go to the airports so that is out too. Which I wouldn't recommend since the last time I took a taxi I swear it was the most filthy car I ever saw and no seat belt.

So what do seniors do in a situation like this?

Old 02-21-2024, 04:37 PM

22,557 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Ask a friend or neighbor.
Ask a relative.

Old 02-21-2024, 04:38 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,058,991 times
A friend.

Old 02-21-2024, 04:47 PM

252 posts, read 234,403 times
Since my cataract surgery required a companion to accompany me, I paid a volunteer for a ride to and from the procedure as well as a day's salary. She also took me to the follow-up appointment. All-in-all, it cost me about $100 for her assistance.

Old 02-21-2024, 05:00 PM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Just saw a car up in Hagerstown, Maryland area with signage, re “Patient Transport”.
I don’t know if this service is totally independent on any “particular” facility.
I imagine there are others in varying locales. Maybe call hospital/Doctor’s Office and ask?
They or someone that works there might know of an independent service, or even a friend that does this.Maybe someone from your County Government might be helpful?

Old 02-21-2024, 05:01 PM

50,334 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I have had the same issue, and there doesn’t appear to be an easy answer. There are no services near me, and there was a year when my husband couldn’t drive. Senior services in your area should provide this, and if it does not, you should push for it.

Old 02-21-2024, 05:07 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
You also might check with a local hospital. They often have a benevolent volunteer group who can provide rides to and from procedures that involve sedation. Do you belong to a church or other organization? Ask there.

Are there no local senior support agencies in the area? They may maintain a list of volunteers who provide rides for seniors too.

One idea that solved this problem for me: I was scheduled for my first colonoscopy since moving here so I asked the gastro's practice what their "rules" were about rides after sedation. Turned out the retired husband of one of the nurses offered rides for the cost of gas.

If you don't have local friends, what about a neighbor? Offer to watch their house when they're away, offer a lunch date, something! I know, I know, lots of curmudgeons around here would rather cross themselves and run instead of getting friendly with a neighbor, but sometimes it's a good idea to cultivate and maintain a pleasantly reciprocal relationship with at least ONE! Never know when it might come in handy. Besides, an excuse for a lunch out isn't a bad thing!

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-21-2024 at 05:22 PM..

Old 02-21-2024, 05:10 PM

30,487 posts, read 16,198,344 times
friends

or a taxi (just because that one was dirty doesn't mean they all are)

Do you have an office for aging or some variation? If all else fails, call Meals on Wheels and see if they can help. If their drivers can deliver meals to seniors they're probably trustworthy enough to provide a ride ( for a fee of course)

Old 02-21-2024, 05:33 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,170,699 times
Oh God I hate to go to a neighbor but there is one who might not be afraid to drive to the hospital close by instead of 3 towns away on the highway. I will check with her.

I need to get out more an make a few friends but most people here are older and don't drive anymore or they just don't want to get friendly as in help out in a pinch friendly.

I don't want to go to put a relative out of their way especially since they help out in other ways like car pooling. Plus the last time I was going to ask that relative he ended up in the hospital unexpectedly himself. We are all older now.

I just thought there is a sort of mini shuttle bus the stairs are hard to climb up and it is, I think, for seniors too. Last I was told it is only transportation for the disabled but I am not on disability. I am only a percentage disabled legally just not on disability getting checks. Last I was told is they take a long time to show up but I have to look into that more.

I'm going to look into everyone's suggestions. Thank you all for the good ideas. I will get back to let you all know how it worked out.

Oh and taxi's no longer go to medical facilities they only now go to the airports. I have no clue why but I suspect it is because uber cornered that market. Smart to do with all the seniors in my area.

Old 02-21-2024, 05:37 PM

24,471 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Try nextdoor. A friend of mine found pet sitter, driver, who knows what on it. Talk to your neighbor. She/he may need you one day. Doctors/hospitals have patient/driver matches. Best of luck on your procedure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement