Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 05:32 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times

Advertisements

My taste buds have not changed, but what has changed is the food that is grown now.

It has been engineered to grow bigger, and faster at the expense of taste. I purchased

some H-E-B Fresh Sugar Bombs Sweet Tomatoes 12 oz cost about $5.50. The taste was

like the tomato's grown fifty years ago, delicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2024, 03:22 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I once read our taste buds change every 7 years, not sure if that's true or not.

I used to be an adventuresome cook, trying out any new recipe, including international recipes, and when I made a dish that really wowed me, I'd cut the recipe out and put it into a big envelope marked: Must try again! Very delicious!

Well, well, well! I've retried some of those recipes 20-30-40 years later and? Delicious? Really?

Old 04-17-2024, 04:36 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
As a hobby, I've been a certified beer judge for the last 25 years. I just turned 60 and am starting to notice that my ability to taste/smell is diminishing. I'll be at a table with a group of other younger judges and they'll notice flaws in a beer that I have trouble identifying.

Old 04-17-2024, 05:57 AM

4,045 posts, read 2,128,844 times
My appetite did decrease a few years ago in my late sixties. I thought some if it was due to grief after losing my husband. The doctor felt it was normal and functional since metabolism slows with age and people need less calories.

I don’t like some of the foods I used to, especially at restaurants. I wondered if it was changing taste buds, but let’s face it, restaurants have less staff and sometimes supplies than even five years ago, so food isn’t as well prepared and we are paying more for it. And it’s not just me. I was amazed on a fb group for vegans that I am part of, people were bemoaning how bad vegan restaurants have become. The company line was never to criticize a vegan restaurant, but people are getting tired of mediocre to horrible food.

I find it interesting that many of us feel that our taste buds diminish, but facilities that prepare food for older people serve bland food. You would think the slices would be stepped up!

Old 04-17-2024, 09:18 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
It might be interesting to see if this product "wakes up" your taste buds. It was featured on Shark Tank - a berry that you chew, and it binds with & blocks some specific receptors on your tongue for about 30-45 minutes or so - and the end result is it makes many foods taste exceptionally sweet until it wears off. I don't recall the particulars, but watch the episode as the entrepreneurs explain how it works. IIRC, the sharks sampled the berry then would bite into for example, a lemon (which now tasted like very sweet orange candy), a pickle (turned a dill pickle into sweet candy), even apple cider vinegar, etc.

The brand of the product is "Nature's Wild Berry"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOYm9XI6kYo
That's available on Amazon, as well as some other brands of the same berry. It's sort of a gimmick to make sour or bitter foods taste sweet after eating only half a berry. I guess the point is to reduce your sugar/calorie intake?? It's like a dollar a berry!

Old 04-17-2024, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
My taste buds seem to become more sensitive as I get older. My tolerances for sugar, salt and spicy-hot foods get lower and lower with time. However, I do like non-hot spices with a collection of hundreds of spices to try international recipes.

I am not sure whether this is due to our 'healthy' eating habit or age. It's very hard to find any restaurant foods that we like. I always check for sugar and sodium contents of packaged food.

We don't eat cured meat often but when we do like corned beef on St. Patrick day or ham for Easter, I have to pressure cook the meat with a small amount of water for 10-15 minutes, let it soak in hot water for a while then dump out the salty water before using it in a recipe. The ham which I baked last Easter with a (bourbon, maple syrup, thyme, garlic, pepper and Dijon mustard) glaze was delicous.

We used to love French and Italian pastries but in our last few trips, I find them way too sweet to enjoy. We have not bought donuts, cakes, cookies, pies or baked goods in ages. The same goes with commerically made jams or jellies. I use low-sugar pectin to make our own jams whih has only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the regular jam recipes.

So the only problem with my current taste buds is that it's getting harder and harder to enjoy non homemade foods.
You can also reduce the salt in corned beef by soaking it in a gallon or so of water for a half hour, dump out the water, and refill for another half hour, dump out the water and cook however you like. (For me that's braised in Guinness in the dutch oven for about 4 hours.)

Old 04-17-2024, 09:35 AM

My taste buds are fine, no changes. I'm wondering why folks don't just spice it up more if it's bland? Try hot sauce, gravy, condiments, etc. Try new condiments maybe. I've discovered Tajin, which is a salty, lime-y, slightly spicy sprinkle on condiment. I love it on popcorn and corn on the cob. There are so many new seasonings blends and condiments in the grocery store now. Mrs. Dash has many for those who can't have salt. I like cilantro-lime seasoning, Holy Garlic, lemon-pepper, cajun seasoning, honey-mustard, mango salsa, so many choices.

I have noticed a very occasional time when my food tastes too salty, which is weird because I love salt. I am intrigued by the suggestion of dehydration causing that. Seems possible since it happens to me so rarely. I'll have to pay attention next time it happens.

Old 04-17-2024, 12:13 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
You can also reduce the salt in corned beef by soaking it in a gallon or so of water for a half hour, dump out the water, and refill for another half hour, dump out the water and cook however you like. (For me that's braised in Guinness in the dutch oven for about 4 hours.)
Now that's one thing that hasn't altered by taste buds: Corned Beef. I buy package after package of it, cook it in a slow-cooker, and I then separate it into 6-7 zip-lock bags, freeze it, and take a bag out and when hungry I just shred some of it for a protein kick. I never considered it to be salty at all. It's just for protein snacks, not for a meal.

Old 04-17-2024, 01:32 PM

4,045 posts, read 2,128,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
My taste buds are fine, no changes. I'm wondering why folks don't just spice it up more if it's bland? Try hot sauce, gravy, condiments, etc. Try new condiments maybe. I've discovered Tajin, which is a salty, lime-y, slightly spicy sprinkle on condiment. I love it on popcorn and corn on the cob. There are so many new seasonings blends and condiments in the grocery store now. Mrs. Dash has many for those who can't have salt. I like cilantro-lime seasoning, Holy Garlic, lemon-pepper, cajun seasoning, honey-mustard, mango salsa, so many choices.

I have noticed a very occasional time when my food tastes too salty, which is weird because I love salt. I am intrigued by the suggestion of dehydration causing that. Seems possible since it happens to me so rarely. I'll have to pay attention next time it happens.
I have Tajik and forgot all about it. Thanks to you will try it on popcorn.

Old Yesterday, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I have Tajik and forgot all about it. Thanks to you will try it on popcorn.
You might need to add butter or olive oil spray to help it stick to the popcorn, just like with salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement