Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 06:25 PM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times

Advertisements

Most of my dishware I've bought at thrift stores, all mis-matched. I like it that way. I have plates, bowls, cups in many colors. I met up with another woman at a thrift store one day, and all her dishware is multi-colored like mine. It creates a real conversation piece when you have guests over. And this way you can even ask you guests: What color plate would you like?

I particularly like eating salad out of my cobalt blue salad bowl, it doesn't seem as tasty eaten out of a wooden salad bowl or a white bowl.

I have dinner plates, and I prefer eating my meal from a plate that is bright orange ringed with colbalt blue.

And you? The color of your dishware makes no difference to you, whether you're eating out at a restaurant or at someone else's house? When your food is delivered onto a colored plate (like you may hate the color gray or red)
it doesn't affect/effect your appetite?

Even glassware. I like drinking water from a blue glass, not clear glass, no other shade of glass. Same with milk. With milk, a clear glass.

Last edited by tijlover; 10-06-2010 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: Add line
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 05:22 AM

12,540 posts, read 2,137,777 times
Interesting thoughts. In my family, we are really creatures of habit, more than preferring one color over another. For example, some family members have "their fork" or "their coffee cup" or other favorite items. When I eat at my sister's house, I always use the same plate. I love the idea of mis-matched dishware! I grew up that way, and although I'm an avid thrift store shopper, I never thought of buying dishes that way. Now I want to go shopping and jazz up my tableware!

Old 10-07-2010, 05:31 AM

211 posts, read 544,413 times
Default dinner ware

It dosent affect your taste buds but it does affect the amount you eat.
There was a study done and that is what they said is that it affect the
amount you eat due to the color and pattern on the plate.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:59 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,487,108 times
white dinner ware makes a meal look nicer. most upper class dining places have white dishes.
at home we have white, and we also have the colorful ones. we always use the white for some reason.
i have been to places like Golden Corral (buffet restaurant) and they have different color dishes, and somehow--even though i can see that the dish is clean, it does affect me a little. i guess i just prefer the white.
i do also like white with a small colorful design on the outer rim.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:09 AM

41 posts, read 23,256 times
Not for me. Food is food and if I'm hungry I'm eating!

Old 10-07-2010, 10:10 AM

40 posts, read 95,772 times
I heard about that study too, the color blue is supposed to be an appetite suppressant. I bought some blue plates and it didn't make a difference (since my favorite color is blue and I love food!). Here is a link about it: Color Matters - The Effects of Color on the Body - Appetite

The big thing with us and plates is to only eat on small lunch plates for every meal so it looks like a lot of food to control our portions. Having many colors is fun!

Old 10-07-2010, 01:33 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,433,253 times
I've also heard that blue plates suppress appetite, red or yellow increases appetite, but I don't think it really matters......

Old 10-07-2010, 05:44 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
All my dinnerware is white, that way I can put any color accessories with it, and it works.
I also have quite a bit of green Depression glass that I like to use, but, since green is really a neutral, it works!

Old 10-07-2010, 06:15 PM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy996 View Post
I heard about that study too, the color blue is supposed to be an appetite suppressant. I bought some blue plates and it didn't make a difference (since my favorite color is blue and I love food!). Here is a link about it: Color Matters - The Effects of Color on the Body - Appetite

The big thing with us and plates is to only eat on small lunch plates for every meal so it looks like a lot of food to control our portions. Having many colors is fun!
Very interesting link there on the color blue.

I religiously have a slice of cake 365 days of the year, no day is complete without my slice of cake.

I can only imagine if I added some blue food coloring to my frosting or cake dough. Yikes! I couldn't eat it!

Old 10-07-2010, 06:30 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy996 View Post

I fully agree that it does make a difference, but color is only a "micro" factor in the "macro" factor of atmosphere. Like anything else, the amount will vary from person to person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink