Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2024, 07:33 AM

18,745 posts, read 33,478,931 times

Advertisements

You can leave your estate to anyone or anything or any place that suits you. Just be sure to write out any direct relatives if so desired. I wrote out my greedy sister, who died two years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2024, 08:11 AM

98 posts, read 45,708 times
For those who chose lawyers as executors, where the lawyers also named as decision makers in the living will or health care derivative?

Old 02-17-2024, 08:12 AM

Not for me. I have a health care proxy and advance directives on my refrigerator.

Old 02-17-2024, 08:16 AM

98 posts, read 45,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Not for me. I have a health care proxy and advance directives on my refrigerator.
Don’t those documents also ask for a contact?

Old 02-17-2024, 09:09 AM

Yes, my health care proxy who is a retired RN in Boston. She knows my wishes "if inn doubt, pull the plug." It can be done over the phone according to the hosptal.

Old 02-17-2024, 11:48 AM

5,950 posts, read 5,129,012 times
My computer is once again acting up and things I write keep disappearing.

Last try. My nephew is going to help me out, he's in VT but pretty sure his name appears whenever I need to give a person who should be notified. He will get my life insurance to pay what's owed. Two kids don't remember who I am (or wish they didn't). Was a source of grief for too many years. Can't fix something I don't recall breaking. But am guessing Dad won out.

At 82 I think there is still life left in this old body. I would like to do a few things but cash is never enough. But as I said before I have my two cats, Sammy and GG. They let me know every day they love me.

Old 02-17-2024, 11:52 AM

22,128 posts, read 13,151,603 times
What arrangements have you made for your cats?

Old 02-17-2024, 02:48 PM

23,478 posts, read 19,159,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence753 View Post
For those who chose lawyers as executors, where the lawyers also named as decision makers in the living will or health care derivative?
I did not. Some people may. Frankly, the person I'd want to get involved with healthcare that may determine whether I live or die should be the person who knows me best. They should be someone who would understand or make the same decision I would if I could speak for myself.

I view an estate executor somewhat differently. They don't really need to know me all that personally because hopefully I've left them a well crafted will to work off of. I've already made those decisions about my property. I'm already dead so my life isn't in question. All that's left is to manage my assets until they can be distributed where I want them to go.

Old 02-17-2024, 02:56 PM

590 posts, read 317,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
If you TRULY have no family nor any specific person you would want to leave your estate to (please no "alone for the holidays" people who are married or otherwise not really alone), what do you plan to do with it and what steps have to taken to ensure that your plans will be carried out? Be specific! Since I TRULY have no one and not even anyone able to execute my will, I am currently vacillating between buying choice annuities and just spending it all by traveling for the rest of my useful life...
If you prefer to help others find a church t gve it to in lump sum. If you want to give to the most needy and irresponsible, send it to the fed gov. Interest costs will sink this country long before agw or trump.

Old 02-17-2024, 02:57 PM

23,478 posts, read 19,159,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence753 View Post
Don’t those documents also ask for a contact?

You are asking questions for which there are as many answers as there are people.

My healthcare proxy IS a "contact" but their purpose is somewhat different than an emergency contact. Nothing prevents you from including an emergency contact in addition to your healthcare proxy in an advanced directive. You should be clear about what their roles are. Templates for those documents are usually pretty fluid. For example, an emergency contact could be a housemate or a neighbor who could come pick you up at the hospital, call other relatives, take up some slack in a pinch.

I have a copy of my advanced healthcare directive on file with my PCP and the local hospital. They also have an emergency contact on file for me. They are NOT the same person! I might need someone to step up and help in an emergency that has nothing to do with making medical decisions for me! My healthcare proxy is a long term close friend who knows me probably better than anyone else. My emergency contact is the relative who happens to live closest geographically and who could travel here to help. My healthcare proxy wouldn't necessarily need to come here in order to help me.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-17-2024 at 03:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement