Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2024, 04:09 PM

21,917 posts, read 13,004,619 times

Advertisements

If you TRULY have no family nor any specific person you would want to leave your estate to (please no "alone for the holidays" people who are married or otherwise not really alone), what do you plan to do with it and what steps have to taken to ensure that your plans will be carried out? Be specific! Since I TRULY have no one and not even anyone able to execute my will, I am currently vacillating between buying choice annuities and just spending it all by traveling for the rest of my useful life...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2024, 04:11 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times
I leave my little estate to the animal shelter and my lawyer is executor.

Old 02-12-2024, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I leave my little estate to the animal shelter and my lawyer is executor.
I was told lawyers "don't really do that" or at least don't like to do that. I assume you're paying this attorney part of your estate for the trouble, or is it payment up front? Have you arranged for him or her to be notified when you pass? If so, how? I need specifics!

Old 02-12-2024, 04:15 PM

30,559 posts, read 16,251,943 times
Mine will be split between a local library and local food pantry. The lawyer is executor of my estate too.

Old 02-12-2024, 04:16 PM

17 posts, read 9,519 times
Travel! There is a whole wide world out there to explore. Enjoy the local culture. Partake in fantastic gastronomy in all these places.. there is too many delicious meals out there. I cant wait.
I would just spend exploring.
Life is too short and the world too small... find it!

Old 02-12-2024, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I was told lawyers "don't really do that" or at least don't like to do that. I assume you're paying this attorney part of your estate for the trouble, or is it payment up front? Have you arranged for him or her to be notified when you pass? If so, how? I need specifics!

not sure if it's legal in all states. yes, he will be paid the same as anyone who settles an estate. Not up front-he's got to the work before he gets payed. Nobody does it for free. I got a percentage when I settled my sister's estate.

travel if you want but only if you want. Not everybody does.

Old 02-12-2024, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Mine will be split between a local library and local food pantry. The lawyer is executor of my estate too.
Same questions.

I drew up a will several years ago with a local attorney, who eventually died and went out of business -- obviously, but his partner had also died in the interim, so the firm completely shut down and the building was sold. When I went on a search for my will, which I assumed had either been "taken over" by another attorney or was at least "on file" somewhere so that there would be a legal, enforceable copy of it somewhere (although I hadn't thought out how it would be known that I was dead), I was told no; I probably had the original and any copies were destroyed, so here I go again!

What assurances do you have in the event that "this one attorney" can't fulfill his duties?

It now seems simpler to just enjoy it while I'm alive! That's an entirely new concept for me, but I'm slowly warming up to it...

Old 02-12-2024, 04:23 PM

well of course enjoy it while you're alive. It's your money. Doesn't mean you shouldn't have a will.

and there's no guarantees about how long a lawyer will live. Ask when you get it written up what happens if....

Old 02-12-2024, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LekkerBraai View Post
Travel! There is a whole wide world out there to explore. Enjoy the local culture. Partake in fantastic gastronomy in all these places.. there is too many delicious meals out there. I cant wait.
I would just spend exploring.
Life is too short and the world too small... find it!
That would be the precise plan, along with buying at least one really nice house for between trips. When I'm dead, who cares? Saving it doesn't seem to have paid off so far...

Old 02-12-2024, 04:37 PM

4,513 posts, read 5,061,573 times
Why not set up a Trust with a local bank. You can designate how you want your property/etc. to be distributed after death and the bank would act as executor.
But I'd start with traveling first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement