Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2024, 05:39 PM

23,543 posts, read 19,317,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Same here though not her age group. We call it OMG - out of my garage. Cast iron went to a 22 year old who discovered clean eating last week. She is happy!
Hard to believe said godmother is now 98. She claims her vision and hearing are both going and so is her memory, but she still seems sharp as a tack! She attributes it to "good genes and gardening". Her motto has always been "bloom where you're planted." She's always been skilled at not sweating the small stuff and she hardly ever complains. So many minor life annoyances roll like water off a duck's back.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-15-2024 at 06:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2024, 06:50 PM

24,842 posts, read 11,275,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Hard to believe said godmother is now 98. She claims her vision and hearing are both going and so is her memory, but she still seems sharp as a tack! She attributes it to "good genes and gardening". Her motto has always been "bloom where you're planted." She's always been skilled at not sweating the small stuff and she hardly ever complains. So many minor life annoyances roll like water off a duck's back.
Count your blessings and record conversations about her past.

Old 02-15-2024, 08:24 PM

2,754 posts, read 1,247,145 times
Quote:
I wish I could be like her.

Old 02-15-2024, 08:30 PM

2,754 posts, read 1,247,145 times
If no family then maybe your favorite charity. I am giving some to animal organizations.

Old 02-15-2024, 11:23 PM

4,803 posts, read 3,098,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
There's a beautiful program called "Senior to Senior" (I think) that pairs elderly homeless pets with older people so that neither is alone, helping them with food and vet bills, then taking them back if they survive the person (or the human goes into a nursing home) and pairing them with another. I would love to leave ALL my money to that organization!

I also once had a dream of starting my own in which dogs in shelters on the euth list got to go home with someone and be thoroughly spoiled for at least one day and night, then given a sedative in a treat before the deed was done. At least they would die having lived "A Dog's Life" (that's what I'd have called it) and having known love and happiness rather than dying alone and scared on a cold steel table after having spent a last night alone in a concrete cell. But like a lot of my great ideas, that one may never happen!
Sort of like "Make A Wish" for dogs.... sweet!

Old 02-16-2024, 04:29 AM

7,839 posts, read 3,436,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
There's a beautiful program called "Senior to Senior" (I think) that pairs elderly homeless pets with older people so that neither is alone, helping them with food and vet bills, then taking them back if they survive the person (or the human goes into a nursing home) and pairing them with another. I would love to leave ALL my money to that organization!

I also once had a dream of starting my own in which dogs in shelters on the euth list got to go home with someone and be thoroughly spoiled for at least one day and night, then given a sedative in a treat before the deed was done. At least they would die having lived "A Dog's Life" (that's what I'd have called it) and having known love and happiness rather than dying alone and scared on a cold steel table after having spent a last night alone in a concrete cell. But like a lot of my great ideas, that one may never happen!

Thanks as I never heard of Senior to Senior. I think you should leave all your money to them. You get to feel good about that the rest of your life and the organization benefits when you are gone.

I think a lot about all the small and big organizations that help animals. It would be an ideal charity in my opinion. Another idea is to help raise charitable contributions for them (not necessarily provide large amounts of funding from your own fund, but by organizing events. You could turn these ideas into something.

Old 02-16-2024, 04:46 AM

40,997 posts, read 49,421,276 times
A very wealthy friend is leaving it all to his local small town High School. I thought that was pretty cool.

Old 02-16-2024, 04:58 AM

3,394 posts, read 2,014,426 times
Quote:
Love this! Lucky you to have her in your life

Old 02-16-2024, 05:42 AM

6,591 posts, read 3,254,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I've had a will since I was in my 30s.
I've had one since earlier than that....

My dad, sadly, passed away in his late 50s. He didn't have a will, as he simply thought that A) he would likely outlive his wife (my mother), because he was the cool, calm one, whereas she was very "hyper"; and B) he also assumed that when he died, things would automatically pass to either my mother or myself, as we were his "next of kin".

Legally, it wasn't all that simple, but in actuality, it's pretty much what happened. However, there were a few small legalities that had to be tended to, at his passing, and fortunately he happened to be good friends with an attorney, who stepped in and helped us out.

I was 23 at the time, and while the attorney was helping us get organized, he insisted that both my mother and I draw up both wills, and POA papers. So, I've had a will in place for close to 50 years.

Old 02-16-2024, 07:06 AM

10,138 posts, read 6,519,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
That is basically what we did:>) All we are concerned about is our cats. We invited them into our lives and are responsible for them.
My biggest concern is my cats (4) as well. I am trying to find a cat sanctuary that will take them at my death. I need to update my trust with that information. I was going to use the local SPCA but have heard some bad stuff about them from a trusted source. Most sanctuaries want $15K and UP per cat as an intake fee, which I actually have no problem with, but I need to make sure the contract with them will hold fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement