Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2024, 09:35 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
That does not describe independence to me :-). A shared bathroom in a hostel is not different (except that it's usually cleaner and used by fewer people) than the one in a campground. Thousands of people have used a "private" bathroom that comes with a hotel room prior to the current hotel guest. When you are locked in a hostel bathroom, the bathroom is yours, and only yours.
Um...I was not attempting to "describe independence". I assume that you know what the word means. If you need clarification, well, I live alone and prefer it. I prefer to sleep alone. I love going on road trips, alone. I can travel alone and have an absolutely enjoyable time. I am very competent at home repairs as I have lived most of my life w/o a "man around the house". (I was married for 5 years - an independent female does not mesh well with a controlling male.)

All that does not mean that I don't enjoy being around other humans. I have done group travel tours, and thoroughly loved them. My BF, who is FAR less independent than I am, is far less social than I. He doesn't interact with others as well as I do.

I was commenting on my other "deal breakers" as far as where I will or will not stay. Bathrooms are a big one. My sister is far less independent - but she will not even use a campground bathhouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2024, 09:50 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
That's a bad search. The hostel offers even a private room for $125. Go to the hostel site and do your search. The 305 rate is for something called Enterprise Private with occupancy of 8. Booking.com is giving you the most expensive option - without telling you of other options.
I figured that was not the norm, and I learned that lodging in Portland is expensive. But I simply Googled "Hostile New England" and that's what I found.

As for the experience I totally understand it's not just about the cost. As I said it takes a certain personality to be comfortable in that setting. I have such a personality and if I were younger I would consider it. But when you get into your 60's things change. I don't want to have to share a bathroom regardless of how it's configured. If I need to pee at night I don't want to have to put on a robe. I don't want to share a TV with someone who considers The Housewives of Beverly Hills to be quality programming

Old 01-18-2024, 09:54 AM

3,085 posts, read 2,213,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I figured that was not the norm, and I learned that lodging in Portland is expensive. But I simply Googled "Hostile New England" and that's what I found.

As for the experience I totally understand it's not just about the cost. As I said it takes a certain personality to be comfortable in that setting. I have such a personality and if I were younger I would consider it. But when you get into your 60's things change. I don't want to have to share a bathroom regardless of how it's configured. If I need to pee at night I don't want to have to put on a robe. I don't want to share a TV with someone who considers The Housewives of Beverly Hills to be quality programming
I don't care if you stay there or not. I was just pointing out that booking.com results are spurious. They offer private room for 2 as well, so you aren't sharing TV or bathroom with anyone.

Old 01-18-2024, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
If I need to pee at night I don't want to have to put on a robe.
Yea I'm not doing that either!

We do have a small bathroom in our travel trailer, but when we first started dating, he had a pop-up camper. I was over that pretty quickly!! Getting up and getting dressed in the middle of the night to go to the bathhouse is not an enjoyable prospect, especially when it is raining!

Old 01-18-2024, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yea I'm not doing that either!

We do have a small bathroom in our travel trailer, but when we first started dating, he had a pop-up camper. I was over that pretty quickly!! Getting up and getting dressed in the middle of the night to go to the bathhouse is not an enjoyable prospect, especially when it is raining!
Isn't the topic stated in the first post - "I would like to hear from any older/retired travelers who have recently used hostels in the true manner ...

So, it doesn't look like you fall in this category. The fact of the matter is that most of the most adults prefer hotels to hostels, some more than others. I have used them, though not recently. I am open to using them in the future but typically not want I look for first.

We too have a camper with a small bathroom in it. That indeed makes a big difference.

Old 01-18-2024, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Isn't the topic stated in the first post - "I would like to hear from any older/retired travelers who have recently used hostels in the true manner ...

So, it doesn't look like you fall in this category. The fact of the matter is that most of the most adults prefer hotels to hostels, some more than others. I have used them, though not recently. I am open to using them in the future but typically not want I look for first.

We too have a camper with a small bathroom in it. That indeed makes a big difference.
Yes that is the topic. And clearly there are others that ask questions, and then people respond (which is exactly what I did)...and off we go. It's called discussion.

Old 01-18-2024, 12:57 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
I've done high-end hosteling at McMenamins. Good food, music, and ambiance. Each is different.

I have no issues with padding down to the communal bathroom in my underwear with benefit of a robe. I've done it in the college dorms (single and male-female sex) , farm pit toilets, and on my own farm where I just do it behind or on the local tree (about 30% obscured).

Old 01-18-2024, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Yes that is the topic. And clearly there are others that ask questions, and then people respond (which is exactly what I did)...and off we go. It's called discussion.
Thanks for explaining that. I never knew.

The point I was making is that the topic and the OP is asking to hear from those who have a recent experience using hostels. So, your "discussion" of how you aren't really into it is immensely valuable addition to it. If everyone uninterested in a topic were to chime in - that'd make it a really worthwhile discussion.

PS: All that said, I did not (and still do not) mean to offend. It's just that sometime the contributions on a fairly well defined thread topic reject that interest in the first place - and I find that unproductive. I am sure I have been guilty of that as well, so you are in company.

Last edited by kavm; 01-18-2024 at 02:02 PM..

Old 01-18-2024, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks for explaining that. I never knew.

The point I was making is that the topic and the OP is asking to hear from those who have a recent experience using hostels. So, your "discussion" of how you aren't really into it is immensely valuable addition to it. If everyone uninterested in a topic were to chime in - that'd make it a really worthwhile discussion.

PS: All that said, I did not (and still do not) mean to offend. It's just that sometime the contributions on a fairly well defined thread topic reject that interest in the first place - and I find that unproductive. I am sure I have been guilty of that as well, so you are in company.
LOL. Like I said - I responded to another's question. Other than that, I never would have been in the thread at all. And now, I sincerely regret doing so since you seem to have an issue with it.

Old 01-18-2024, 02:24 PM

Quote:
LOL. Like I said - I responded to another's question. Other than that, I never would have been in the thread at all. And now, I sincerely regret doing so since you seem to have an issue with it.
Like I said, I do not mean to offend. So, no regrets. Please enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement