Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 02:09 PM

13 posts, read 33,689 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm pretty new to the forum and would like to get some feedback on what I plan on attempting soon.

I'm 24 years old, have payed off all of my student loans, and am completely bored of my job. So far I've saved up a few thousand dollars, and plan on traveling to Europe. It seems that buying a rail-pass, and staying in Hostels every night is the usual way of going about this, but I plan on at least attempting to do it differently.

I want to be travelling for quite some time, over a year if possible. All I will bring with me is:
-A light weight bicycle
-A small easily carried sleeping bag
-A tarp or some sort of rain resistant material to cover my self in if needed.
-And clothes, a knife, some toiletries... etc..

I plan on only spending about 10-15 dollars on food each day.

I will buy a plane ticket to Lisbon and will try to visit a bunch of countries with no given agenda, ending my trip somewhere in Eastern Europe.

I know it may seem crazy, but I don't intend on staying in Hostels unless absolutely necessary. I will sleep under the stars off the main roads hopefully where I will avoid confrontation.

I consider myself to be in appropriate physical shape for this trip, I know it will be very taxing riding my bike for miles and miles, but I think I can manage.

Feedback from other travelers would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-06-2012 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: corrections made per OP's request
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 02:33 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,974,167 times
I think it sounds like a really cool idea. Although I don't think most people necessarily buy a rail pass, those seemed like a ripoff to me.

If you want to ride your bike across, well that seems like it'd be a ton of fun, although I wouldn't stay in random places like that. Wouldn't do it in USA, definitely wouldn't do it in another country. Try setting up a tenative bike route to where you can stay on campgrounds along the way or at least have enough money to stay in a hotel or bail yourself out of jail if you get in trouble for trespassing.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:55 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,067,432 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

Camping is fairly common (and luxurious) in Europe. Usually campgrounds are on the outskirts of town and it is not too expensive to stay there.

"Wild camping" (setting up camp just any old place) is tolerated in lots of places if you pack out what you pack in. Here's an article about it.

Sleeping under the stars in the hills of northern Spain or Portugal sounds great in August but might be chilly in December.

It will cost you to bring your bike, but I guess that's no big deal if you plan on getting by cheaply, but I do hope you can get enough calories to sustain you on $10-$15 a day.

Maybe you should try to check out some bicycling forums? Have you ever watched the movie (or read the book) Long Way Round? They were on motorcycles, and did not always camp, but still you might find it inspirational. They also took another trip, Long Way Down.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-06-2012 at 12:47 PM..

Old 05-06-2012, 04:15 PM

13 posts, read 33,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned

Camping is fairly common (and luxurious) in Europe. Usually campgrounds are on the outskirts of town and it is not too expensive to stay there.

"Wild camping" (setting up camp just any old place) is tolerated in lots of places if you pack out what you pack in. Here's an article about it.

Sleeping under the stars in the hills of northern Spain or Portugal sounds great in August but might be chilly in December.

It will cost you to bring your bike, but I guess that's no big deal if you plan on getting by cheaply, but I do hope you can get enough calories to sustain you on $10-$15 a day.

Maybe you should try to check out some bicycling forums? Have you ever watched the movie (or read the book) Long Way Round? They were on motorcycles, and did not always camp, but still you might find it inspirational. They also took another trip, Long Way Down.

No, I have not seen it yet, looks really interesting though, thanks for all the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel