Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 08:27 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,072,030 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear from any older/retired travelers who have recently used hostels in the true manner (staying in the common dorm rooms, not the private rooms). I'm particularly interested in hostels in other locations besides Europe where it's quite common (and not the US). Questions: Did you feel that the hostels were mostly full of young people? Were the dorm rooms noisy? How did you protect your luggage when you were out sightseeing for the day? Were you able to get access to the bathroom without difficulty or were you always waiting in line? Was the price worth it? I'm just trying to get some insights into the hosteling experiences of older travelers (over 55), especially solo female travelers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2020, 09:20 AM

143 posts, read 150,644 times
Look up hobo traveler to get REAL info from a REAL 60 something traveler and others about this!

Old 02-02-2020, 09:51 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Still use hostels, but really prefer this (for last 30 yrs) <$25 / night WW, very safe, we host many single gals (young and old)
https://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange

Over 200 days 'out' last yr.
Wonderful stays

Very informative, very welcoming, very helpful, lasting friendships.. (Just sent 200 valentines via snail mail)

Old 02-02-2020, 11:25 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,398,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
I would like to hear from any older/retired travelers who have recently used hostels in the true manner (staying in the common dorm rooms, not the private rooms). I'm particularly interested in hostels in other locations besides Europe where it's quite common (and not the US). Questions: Did you feel that the hostels were mostly full of young people? Were the dorm rooms noisy? How did you protect your luggage when you were out sightseeing for the day? Were you able to get access to the bathroom without difficulty or were you always waiting in line? Was the price worth it? I'm just trying to get some insights into the hosteling experiences of older travelers (over 55), especially solo female travelers.

I'll be 60 this year, and have been staying in hostel dorms a lot. I always stay in the best hostel I can find (just google "best hostels in Paris" or wherever you are traveling - it will most likely be also the most expensive one, but that generally means $45 per night rather than $25, ie, still tremendously cheap). All my hostel experiences have been excellent, in the US and international, except a horrendous dump in Santa Fe, NM a few years ago, where I actually had a moldy private room rather than a dorm bunk (but it was advertised as a hostel). The guests are predominantly young, but seniors are not rare - I always run into at least one other senior besides myself (at any rate, youngsters will not find you an unusual company). The rooms in good hostels are generally not noisy because there are lounges where people go to socialize, not in the rooms where other people might be sleeping (check hostel reviews, and the level of noise will generally be mentioned. Carry ear plugs, just in case). Most hostels have lockers for luggage in rooms (bring your own padlock). Bathroom access is variable, but I have very rarely had to wait, particularly at unusual times (like 5 am - you'll have all the bathrooms to yourself). The price is always worth it - a bunk in the nicest, cleanest, quietest, most pleasant hostel is generally cheaper or at least about the same price as a single room in an awful zero-star hotel.

I have most recently stayed at hostels in Singapore and Bangkok, several weeks each, this past fall. Both of them were wonderful. I am female, and one of the reasons I like hostels is that I actually feel safer in a hostel dorm than alone in a hotel room.

Old 02-02-2020, 11:51 AM

16,282 posts, read 10,421,470 times
Interesting idea. I have always pictured hostels as full of young people. Would it be a problem if I went to bed at 8:30 and asked everyone else to turn off the lights and keep quiet?

Old 02-02-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Interesting idea. I have always pictured hostels as full of young people. Would it be a problem if I went to bed at 8:30 and asked everyone else to turn off the lights and keep quiet?

Good hostels generally have individual reading lights in each bunk, and good hostels in Asia generally have thick curtains, so a bunk is like a tiny room (regrettably, the curtains are uncommon in the US and Europe, but you can sometimes create them with a hanging blanket in a lower bunk). You can't ask people to shut off their reading lights, but you can shut off the main room light, nobody objects to that. You also can't ask them to keep quiet, but people generally do keep quiet if that is the local culture of that particular hostel (rowdy hostels with loud conversations 24/7 will generally be described as such in the reviews, and some young people specifically seek that kind of places). The worst noise problem in otherwise quiet hostels is when someone snores heavily (and you may need earplugs for that) - I imagine that problem is probably worse in male dorm rooms than in female ones.

Old 02-02-2020, 01:39 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
You might want to look into airbnb in international cities.

Old 02-02-2020, 02:38 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
Two words: Elder Hostel

Old 02-02-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Two words: Elder Hostel

Elderhostel has been renamed Road Scholar, and is something very different from a hostel. It is a Boston-based travel company with hundreds and hundreds outstanding travel/educational programs all over the world. As opposed to hostel accommodations, Road Scholar (formerly Elderhostel) is among the highest quality travel, and is most definitely NOT cheap!

Old 02-02-2020, 09:22 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Elderhostel has been renamed Road Scholar, and is something very different from a hostel. It is a Boston-based travel company with hundreds and hundreds outstanding travel/educational programs all over the world. As opposed to hostel accommodations, Road Scholar (formerly Elderhostel) is among the highest quality travel, and is most definitely NOT cheap!
At my age spending money is OK. Going cheap to save $$ when traveling not is worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement