Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2019, 12:17 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,864 times

Advertisements

Is anyone else watching Ken Burns Country Music series on PBS? It's very well done and a real trip down memory lane. They started with early periods and are halfway to the present. Apparently it's available on Amazon Prime too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 12:28 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Is anyone else watching Ken Burns Country Music series on PBS? It's very well done and a real trip down memory lane. They started with early periods and are halfway to the present. Apparently it's available on Amazon Prime too.

Yes, I have been watching this program. It really does bring back memories and it is well done.

Burns has been amazing in his documentaries.

I wish I could find a radio station that played the classics. Can only find the newer "stuff" now. Can't hold a candle to any of the older stuff.

Old 09-20-2019, 01:30 PM

240 posts, read 267,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I've read & appreciate all the expressions of support in the original chat thread & those sent privately. They mean a lot, thank you.

We've told our extended family & our son's many friends this & it applies here too: carry on & don't feel like you have to walk on eggshells with us. After those 1st several days of his barely clinging to life & our not knowing if he would survive, this is a cakewalk.
We (my son, his sibling, biscuitpop, me) are all healing much faster than we could have imagined in those dark days. We're now stronger and better people for having gone through it. We have a good/great outcome. Our hearts ache for the so many who don't.
This is such positive news. You are all so strong and you have been through so much. Best wishes to you and your family. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Thank you for updating.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:44 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
I’m sitting outside with the dog at my feet. It’s breezy and 72 degrees with low humidity before it gets hotter today. It’s a teaser for weather that will be coming and staying in a month. While we were walking the dog earlier, DH said he’s going to miss summer, the first time since we moved here. I realized I will too, how strange. Amazing that 72 degrees feels cool, almost chilly with low humidity now. We have officially acclimated. It will be 90 later today, so I need to do some gardening chores while it’s nice.

Last edited by jean_ji; 09-21-2019 at 06:52 AM..

Old 09-21-2019, 08:32 AM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
I caught a nice break on the Little Debbie Oatmeal snacks that I hand out at Halloween. The cheapest price I had found was $1.67 at Food Lion. This week they had a one day sale at 99 cents. So I am now all stocked up with 40 boxes and saved a nice chunk of change.

I got up and out early to get to the grocery and it was really nice. Sunny and 70 degrees. Later in the week it will be in the 50s at night but still stubbornly in the mid to high 80s during the day. I am so ready for real autumn weather to get here.

Bought some fresh sweetcorn this morning so dinner will be one of our favorites: pork steaks with barbecue sauce cooked on the broiler, fresh corn and pickled beets.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:58 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
38 degrees this morning, forecast high 68 and sunshine. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:43 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And we've started playing Bocci Ball now that it's cooling off. We stop over the summer. Fun game, but I need more practice!
Back in the mid 70s, a French grad student at the University of Virginia started a petanque team in our department: Les Spheres Under the Influence. Our motto was "It takes stainless steel balls to play petanque". We even had business cards printed up. Unlike bocci ball, petanque is played on gravel with steel balls. Like bocci ball, a game in those days involved a lot of drinking and smoking.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:49 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I’m sitting outside with the dog at my feet. It’s breezy and 72 degrees with low humidity before it gets hotter today. It’s a teaser for weather that will be coming and staying in a month. While we were walking the dog earlier, DH said he’s going to miss summer, the first time since we moved here. I realized I will too, how strange. Amazing that 72 degrees feels cool, almost chilly with low humidity now. We have officially acclimated. It will be 90 later today, so I need to do some gardening chores while it’s nice.
Acclimation even happens indoors. During our long, hot summer, an indoor temp of 72 degrees felt very cool. In winter, it feels very, very warm.

Right now, just as fall is slipping in, the indoor morning temp of 68 degrees feels chilly. I must still be on summer mode, though that is changing.

I did test two of the electric convective heaters this morning, to check that they will work when needed. Next month it will be time to check the propane-fueled parlor stove and garage heater.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:51 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I caught a nice break on the Little Debbie Oatmeal snacks that I hand out at Halloween. The cheapest price I had found was $1.67 at Food Lion. This week they had a one day sale at 99 cents. So I am now all stocked up with 40 boxes and saved a nice chunk of change.

I got up and out early to get to the grocery and it was really nice. Sunny and 70 degrees. Later in the week it will be in the 50s at night but still stubbornly in the mid to high 80s during the day. I am so ready for real autumn weather to get here.

Bought some fresh sweetcorn this morning so dinner will be one of our favorites: pork steaks with barbecue sauce cooked on the broiler, fresh corn and pickled beets.
Those cakes are too sweet for my taste, but if I were to eat them I would put in the freezer for a couple of hours first. I bet they turn good and chewy then.

Old 09-21-2019, 12:31 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Acclimation even happens indoors. During our long, hot summer, an indoor temp of 72 degrees felt very cool. In winter, it feels very, very warm.

Right now, just as fall is slipping in, the indoor morning temp of 68 degrees feels chilly. I must still be on summer mode, though that is changing.

I did test two of the electric convective heaters this morning, to check that they will work when needed. Next month it will be time to check the propane-fueled parlor stove and garage heater.
We keep the house at 79-80 in the day and 78 at night. We turn it lower when company is here. We lived for 30+ years with no AC in NY, our choice. We prefer open windows and dealt with heat waves. I would be too cold with the temp at 72 and I imagine others would swelter at our temps. It’s not such a drastic change going in and out for us and 80 feels wonderful when coming inside. We rarely turn the heat on here. Last year it was twice and the year before not at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement