Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2019, 01:05 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,248,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
My best friend died tonight. I am lost...

Jim:
So sorry to hear of your loss. Looks like an Australian Shepherd, right? I have a collie and 2 Shelties so I love these types.

I will never forget the ones I've lost. The first collie was over 18 months and I was 8 years old. I still remember what I was wearing and my dad and I crying. I'll never forget that little guy.

You won't forget yours either. You gave him a wonderful life.

Thinking of you at this time and sending all good thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 01:38 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,947,134 times
Quote:
$260????????? Let's see I guess I wouldn't eat for a month. Hahahahaha. Thanks anyway.
Jim, I didn't know your budget or how tight your resources are when I made the suggestion. $260 for a month's worth of counseling by a licensed professional (Master's level and higher) is actually a bargain. You might go into Bing and search for "best online grief support groups" - there are a lot of places online where you can connect with people going through the same thing.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:42 PM

43,142 posts, read 18,298,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Jim, I didn't know your budget or how tight your resources are when I made the suggestion. $260 for a month's worth of counseling by a licensed professional (Master's level and higher) is actually a bargain. You might go into Bing and search for "best online grief support groups" - there are a lot of places online where you can connect with people going through the same thing.
There's a subforum right here on CD under Pets..rainbow bridge

http://www.city-data.com/forum/rainbow-bridge/

Old 10-07-2019, 09:27 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,023,646 times
Jim - Here's some FREE counseling: Get 2 more dogs - don't be stubborn about it - just do it. There are lots of dogs sitting in cages just waiting - some on death row. The don't have time - do it NOW.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:20 PM

492 posts, read 406,509 times
Jim,
I had had dogs before. One dog was very special. It took me over 3 years to seriously consider getting another dog.

My "new" dog has been with me for over 11 years. He's a bundle of joy. But I often still cry when remembering the "special" one.

One thing I came to understand is that adopting and loving a new dog is in no way disrespectful to the memory of the "special" dog.
If you are not ready to adopt, perhaps you could foster.
In any case, keep talking to us. We get it.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:26 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
Quote:
The last thing I want to do is sit around listening to a bunch of old guys complain.

We don't sit around and complain. Talking about health and medical conditions is outside the scope of the group, as is political opinions. There is a facilitator who reminds us we are not doctors or lawyers and cannot give advice in this group. It's more about learning to cope with issues dealing with aging, as well as sharing useful and fun information. Many of us are unaware of some of the free services available to seniors. Sometimes someone will describe a new restaurant that opened up, a movie they just saw, how they survived a visiting relative from out of town. That sort of thing.

Almost always after the 1 hour session we retreat to a nearby restaurant and have lunch. Friendships have been made.

Years ago I used to go nearly every week, now just once a month or every 6 weeks. Unfortunately since new people are always showing up a lot of the same issues come up time and again.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:08 AM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Jim, I would also suggest getting another dog IF you feel you can. The following is the link to another C-D thread about a dog who needs a home in Colorado. Maybe this is not right for you at this time (and I am certainly not going to be judgmental whatever you decide to do), but this just shows how someone could do a really good thing.

[Seeking Advice] Girlfriend's dog needs new home, but shelter said they will euthanize

(Hugs)

Old 10-08-2019, 08:23 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times
Thanks everyone. Yes, I'll get another dog, eventually. The dogs in the shelters here seem to be mostly pit bulls (NO), or puppies (NO). A dog will find me. Have zero none nada intention of talking to some shrink in person online over the phone or by carrier pigeon. Waste of time and money. I would get more talking to a rock than some self absorbed knowitall with a bunch of paper hanging on their wall.

Forecast today 60's, I'm going trout fishing.

How bout them Dodgers?

Old 10-08-2019, 08:29 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,666,603 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone. Yes, I'll get another dog, eventually. The dogs in the shelters here seem to be mostly pit bulls (NO), or puppies (NO). A dog will find me. Have zero none nada intention of talking to some shrink in person online over the phone or by carrier pigeon. Waste of time and money. I would get more talking to a rock than some self absorbed knowitall with a bunch of paper hanging on their wall.

Forecast today 60's, I'm going trout fishing.

How bout them Dodgers?
I am an Astros fan, so I may be seeing you in the World Series. That is if the Dodgers can get by the Nats tomorrow. And if the Astros can get by the Yankees.

I lived in Vero Beach FL as a kid and come spring training, I was around Dodgertown a lot. One time the uncle of a friend of mine who knew some of the Dodger brass took us over to their rec room. I got to play pingpong with Maury Wills and Don Drysdale and chat with Sandy Koufax. 60 years later, that day still brings a smile to my face.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:24 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
JRR, bet you went to heaven that day. One of my supervisors brother had been a bat boy for the Minnesota Twins and in exchange for taking his mother to the game, (she was one of the sweetest woman I ever met), we got to sit in the newspaper reporter's box. I will always remember the thrill of that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement