Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2019, 01:09 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
We keep the house at 79-80 in the day and 78 at night. We turn it lower when company is here. We lived for 30+ years with no AC in NY, our choice. We prefer open windows and dealt with heat waves. I would be too cold with the temp at 72 and I imagine others would swelter at our temps. It’s not such a drastic change going in and out for us and 80 feels wonderful when coming inside. We rarely turn the heat on here. Last year it was twice and the year before not at all.
I'm pretty much with you on the summer indoor temperature. We keep ours at 78 during the summer; kind of a compromise. I would be happy with 79 and my wife with 77. During the winter, when we dress differently, we keep it at 72 and drop it down to 70 at night. Got a heated mattress pad so we don't have to pile on a bunch of covers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 01:51 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Ahhh, Spring is finally here! It's only 75 out there and the windows are finally open after the hottest August on record for Las Vegas. Welcome to reverse weather seasons. I love winters here.

Spent the last two days in the garage doing what I do a few times a year: rearranging and cleaning.

I put up a couple of four foot LED shop lights last year to cover the garage door side and they were too far forward so when the garage door was open it covered them. Moved them 15 inches and they are no longer above the open door.

Since I had the ladder out I moved the charging cable for the Clarity. It was hanging from the ceiling outlet for the garage door opener and draped across the garage on hooks to the side where the car plugs in. I have not been comfortable with that arrangement so I plugged it in on the wall above my work bench and ran it under the cabinets to a couple of big hooks for holding it. It's much closer to the car so it's got more slack when plugging in.

I hang my ladders on the wall horizontally and with the new arrangement for the charger cable they were in the way. One is longer than the other so I switched them vertically. The longer one was on top and the shorter at the bottom I flipped them so the shorter one is next to the cable and not hitting it.

Found a place to hang my air compressor cable that was so obvious I couldn't believe it took me so long to see it. I am almost completely out of places to hang stuff!

Snagged a plastic unit for hanging file folders and some folders from my wife's stash and emptied the contents of a plastic bag (it was hanging somewhere of course) into the folders. All the manuals, instructions, etc for tools and anything else I deemed necessary to keep in the garage.

Spent time moving "stuff" out of my work area. It's a converted golf cart spot so it's not that big. It gets crowded quickly.

Using screw eyes to hold the cable allows us to remove it when we travel. The bottle taped to the wall is oil for the electric staple gun. There is no cap for it and it kept falling over and leaking. Problem solved.

My wife did not realize the cable wasn't over the yellow hooks. I draped it over them and reminded her to so in the future. Less stress on the cable.

Old 09-21-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Back in the mid 70s, a French grad student at the University of Virginia started a petanque team in our department: Les Spheres Under the Influence. Our motto was "It takes stainless steel balls to play petanque". We even had business cards printed up. Unlike bocci ball, petanque is played on gravel with steel balls. Like bocci ball, a game in those days involved a lot of drinking and smoking.
Very similar. What is the reason for drawing a circle? Found it interesting that, if I understand what I saw in a video, the next round starts with the person standing where the cochonnet was from the previous round.

How do you know which ball belongs to who?

Old 09-21-2019, 07:22 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Very similar. What is the reason for drawing a circle? Found it interesting that, if I understand what I saw in a video, the next round starts with the person standing where the cochonnet was from the previous round.

How do you know which ball belongs to who?
You have to stand within the circle and keep both feet on the ground when you throw your ball. The balls have different groove patterns on them to distinguish them. It's been a long time since I played (40+ years!), but I think you do draw a circle where the cochonnet lands from the last round and throw it to a new location.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:44 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
We keep the house at 79-80 in the day and 78 at night. We turn it lower when company is here. We lived for 30+ years with no AC in NY, our choice. We prefer open windows and dealt with heat waves. I would be too cold with the temp at 72 and I imagine others would swelter at our temps. It’s not such a drastic change going in and out for us and 80 feels wonderful when coming inside. We rarely turn the heat on here. Last year it was twice and the year before not at all.
No AC here, and I’m in CO. 78-80 indoors feels HOT even when it is 90 outside.

But if I were in FL, cooling via AC to 72 when it is sweltering outside would definitely feel cold.

That’s what I meant by acclimation. 72 indoors in winter is uncomfortably warm, yet 72 indoors in summer is pleasant...here. It would feel cold on a muggy, hot FL day.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
You have to stand within the circle and keep both feet on the ground when you throw your ball. The balls have different groove patterns on them to distinguish them. It's been a long time since I played (40+ years!), but I think you do draw a circle where the cochonnet lands from the last round and throw it to a new location.
Thanks! We do enjoy Bocci Ball and I think petanque would be as enjoyable.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
No AC here, and I’m in CO. 78-80 indoors feels HOT even when it is 90 outside.

But if I were in FL, cooling via AC to 72 when it is sweltering outside would definitely feel cold.

That’s what I meant by acclimation. 72 indoors in winter is uncomfortably warm, yet 72 indoors in summer is pleasant...here. It would feel cold on a muggy, hot FL day.
Opened the windows today (YES!) and it got to 80 before we closed up. We probably would have left the windows open if we were going to stay home, but we went out.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:33 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
35 this morning, 60 inside. Very nice quiet morning walk. Leaves are starting to turn gold, some folks have fires as I see smoke coming from chimneys, deer grazing in yards. Nothing open, zero cars out.

Old 09-22-2019, 11:00 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
^^^^^^^^ Sounds like a slice of heaven, Jim.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:23 PM

587 posts, read 443,142 times
First day of fall tomorrow, but we are supposed to hit 83 at the beach today here in San Diego with the water temperatures in the low 70's. I'm pretending that it's fall weather here so I made lasagna this morning for tonight. Headed to a big street fair later then a walk along the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement