Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2019, 02:53 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,842,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Here’s my thinking. I find as we get older, we might not have the ability to get to the salon for a proper cut and style, whatever it is. So we get masculine looking longer buzz cuts, because they are quick and easy. Or we let our hair get straggly long.l because we no longer have the energy to go. I’ve seen both and there is an unkemptness to each.

I do not have it in me to hit my normal salon right now. I might go somewhere closer and faster. I might just not get my hair cut and cut my bangs myself. Pretty easy to do.

But when women harp about another woman’s hair? That’s their own insecurity peeking through.
This is why I have mine cut a little shorter than normal, my life can get so busy, that it becomes long naturally. Win win situation I think and easy on the pocket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 03:25 PM

6,906 posts, read 11,299,812 times
Smile Very true

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Absolutely! And weight also influences your face shape. I looked cute with short hair when I was thin and young. Now that I'm quite fluffy, my face is more of a moon or oval shape, and short hair makes my head look round and my body is sorta round, so I look like a snow woman! I look much better with long hair.
Very true. I have 3 siblings all of which are/were good looking. Think cheerleader types/football player but still nice/social people. They had the social graces; could be creative in putting together a dinner; planning a birthday party where I was clueless. Can put themselves together and they just know what to do. Me, not so much.

Started a business with my brother in my 20's and the family wanted to make sure I presented a professional appearance. Went to the salon of their choice; my long hair (past shoulders but not too far) cut off; I still remember how horrible I looked. My one sister was there and said "take off more from the back; it will help - well, not really, because, I look horrible in the mirror straight ahead" - after a few tries, the family realized how awful it looked and have left me alone for years. (We can laugh about it now but it probably aged me 15 years easily). Fortunately, hair grows back.

About 15 years ago, I went and had my hair straightened. Really straightened. That did the trick. My brother who is all things fashion and just has this movie star look (very natural though) said "Damn; if I had known how good that would look, I would have had you do that 20 years ago!" (and paid for it). So, I do that maybe every 18 months. I have one of those fat faces where longer hair looks better, I guess. My dad had the same and looked younger for his years. My sibs all favor my mom's side and she was very pretty but went full on white at age 36. She just had me and went on with several more babies and pregnancies. (No one in the family has inherited that trait - yet - the white hair, that is).

My hair is oily and thick but I did feel it was acting differently in the fall so I posted here a few months back and got really good suggestions (thanks to all) and I changed to a better shampoo and conditioner, reduced the drying time and ironing it.

I've had bangs for 34 years so I'm growing them out. We'll see. They can always be cut again but so far, OK. Just a couple more weeks and they'll be out of that irritating stage. My hair grows pretty fast at this point.

I'm also trying to lose weight, get more fit and once I reach the ideal weight, I can reassess.
However, when my hair got cut real short (in my 20's), I was underweight, just married, no kids yet and I know I looked better then.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:40 PM

6,331 posts, read 4,252,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Short isn't sexy, it's old womans hair.

What a stupid, ignorant ,ageist comment

Old 04-20-2019, 04:58 PM

6,625 posts, read 6,592,272 times
Young, yes. Definitely unless your facial shape is wrong for it.

Over 45-50, NOPE. IMO long hair on an elder woman looks silly most of the time like they are trying to stay young with their long hair (that is most likely colored to cover the gray).

Old 04-20-2019, 05:05 PM

20,714 posts, read 16,510,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
You still have nice beautiful hair. Grey is the new color now.
I actually joked with one of the kids in my art class that I paid money to not look grey like her. I guess grey is the new fashionable color now among the 20 something.
Yes - interesting how optional "choices" are fashionable but when it's natural sometimes the perceptions can be different.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Young, yes. Definitely unless your facial shape is wrong for it.

Over 45-50, NOPE. IMO long hair on an elder woman looks silly most of the time like they are trying to stay young with their long hair (that is most likely colored to cover the gray).

Most older women I see who are happy have all sorts of hair styles. To presume those with maintaining long hair are trying to stay young is codswallop and just shows an ageist bias in perception. I can’t get away with long hair, it just doesn’t suit my face and it’s too thin and flat. So I have a short style. Apparently that means I ain’t sexy and wearing an old woman’s haircut so women can’t win it seems in the court of public opinion. Thank goodness most older women don’t give a brass monkeys and just do what make them feel good.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:28 PM

11,175 posts, read 6,767,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Do what you want.

Me? I like the look of long hair better probably 95%+ of the time on woman.
Thanks. This has been my experience. I'm doing what I want. I have the same hair since age 16 since various attempts at other styles did not work. Nothing changed now that I'm 64. I do color to keep my blond, but it's no biggie since it's hard to tell when the gray creeps in. Still look like profile pic.

Personally, I detest gray, but it works for some people like Vrexy
gorgeous picture. Most of us can't pull that off. But DH likes my look and so do I, so what else matters.

Long hair is easier and more unique, LOL. IMO, very few women of ANY age can pull off the short look.
Movie stars don't count!

Btw, I like repeated threads. Sure beats repetitive and monotonous SS or 4% withdrawal threads! (witness the 6 pages in a mere 24 hours, LOL)

Old 04-20-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Thanks. This has been my experience. I'm doing what I want. I have the same hair since age 16 since various attempts at other styles did not work. Nothing changed now that I'm 64. I do color to keep my blond, but it's no biggie since it's hard to tell when the gray creeps in. Still look like profile pic.

Personally, I detest gray, but it works for some people like Vrexy
gorgeous picture. Most of us can't pull that off. But DH likes my look and so do I, so what else matters.

Long hair is easier and more unique, LOL. IMO, very few women of ANY age can pull off the short look.
Movie stars don't count!

Btw, I like repeated threads. Sure beats repetitive and monotonous SS or 4% withdrawal threads! (witness the 6 pages in a mere 24 hours, LOL)
I think short hair looks cute on women of any age
Love this chopped pixie cut in gray
https://www.southernliving.com/fashi...=459223#459223

I can’t get away with letting my hair go gray though , it’s too patchy , so I have gone back to dying my hair.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:48 PM

89,024 posts, read 85,562,706 times
I will probably never cut my hair very short. It's about shoulder length, maybe a little longer. I just don't look good with short hair.

Still color it. It's a mixture of elephant grey and mousie brown naturally, and it just doesn't look good. I keep it a reddish gold color.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:01 PM

5,866 posts, read 5,335,288 times
When I was a kid, our hairdresser loved to give pixies so you can guess what my sisters & I had. But, I ALWAYS loved long hair. Yeah, I will have my hair trimmed but don't think that I will EVER cut it short. And the thing is, none of my sisters have short hair either-the shortest is shoulder length. It is amazing what pixie haircuts does to someone. lol.

Oh, and I still color it. I started color it at the age of 19-because I started getting gray at the ripe old age of 15. I don't think I will ever stop color it because I really don't have gray hair-I have WHITE hair. So, I color it a golden brown/auburn.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement