Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 10:40 PM

433 posts, read 587,685 times

Advertisements

Tell me something good about your religion -- religion gives me an impression of being nothing but hell, tell me your ideas of the good part it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 03:40 AM

290 posts, read 388,939 times
For some it gives people hope and a purpose to life. I would say the issue is when people become dogmatic, refusing to accept that their beliefs are not necessarily facts and refusing to accept the possibility that what they believe may be incorrect.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:17 AM

2,074 posts, read 2,166,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic235 View Post
Tell me something good about your religion -- religion gives me an impression of being nothing but hell, tell me your ideas of the good part it.
It's all about love... God's Divine Love... it transforms you from the inside out. It takes the hardest of hearts and changes it into one of sweetness and joy, love and mercy, forgiveness and forgetfulness. It changes your perspective about life and what is important and what isn't and over time the more you receive it... the feelings of love intensifies. It has the power to remove worries, doubt, stress, anger and revenge... and it replaces those negatives with positives of peace and comfort and a sense of well being.

I've been receiving it for many years and what I'm telling you is from my personal experience. Let's just say that I wasn't looking for my Heavenly Father when I found Him... and by the way, I don't go to church... and I don't follow the Bible... but I best describe myself as someone who is extremely religious and spiritual and my love for our Heavenly Father is very deep and soulful and I am very committed to doing His will.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:24 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,237,296 times
Some will say that Religon is unecessary...or it is based on myth...or is a delusion..or lies...

I believe in some higher entity / being / the creator, and that in his will, we are to tend and keep this world in good working order...sowing seeds and minding the life that is here with us.

I also believe it is in our best interest to follow those ideals This entity (GOD) has laid down for us to follow in the beginning of time.
Be it of a morality based mindset..or of some form of understanding a greator good for all, we find there are things that are based on sound and logical truths.
It is not about hatred, or murdering...for God has given us laws to follow...and precepts, and covenants to uphold...
These things create a morality that is safe..and Good, and wholesome, and sound...in good health, and reflects through our actions, the best state of human existance, that is pleasing to the Lord GOD.
Positive energy creates positive results!

By doing his will, and fulfilling his word, we show our love for him...as God shows his love for us and all life.

If we do not listen to his reasoning and logical instructions ...then we create our own woes and wrath, by way of that negitive energy that is created by not doing what is righteous and good, or sound in mind for all life!..negitive energy has to reslove itself ...

That is God's LOVE that we come to him and do what he says...it is not only for us Humans...it is for all living things...
We are the means through which God is acted out....onto this world.

Now many say with their lips they believe in God...and yet the in their own minds and hearts persicute their brothers and sisters, and support prohibition of certain plants...and their Growers.
When Jesus said it is all good when taken with thanksgiving!

It is all Good?
This is a conceptual truth from God's word of creation and the Eden Principles....God saw that they were Good...and he blessed them all.

So where is it that humans error?

And when we walk a while in that light...we find many things are out of whack with this worldly system of oppression and warmaking.
it is the opposite of EDEN...wonder why?
Because they do not do as God has asked!..."tend and keep the garden" and or multiply it out over the earth.....has now turned into pollute and destroy it!...and pay for it to be so!...funny lines of parallels I'd say!

So religion is an eye openning doorway to the past, which seems to hold truth to the future, and the present....it shows us someone who is without end, and has seen all things to some degree is trying to aid us in not making or not doing certain things, which will no doubt cause this whole world to suffer..... unneedlessly I might add...if we only would listen to the words God spoke in the beginning and throughout the Bible..and other books of faith.

When they say God forgives sins...I think it is being confused with.."Do no More sin and be foregiven!"

So a change is required of us all...and it is not God who is going to change...it is us.
For if we do not do what is required, then we go into destruction...and by not doing what God has asked...God turns away from us...
So while we destroy ourselves, and pollute our home world to the end of the stupidity, and destroy the ecosystems we need presteen and clean to have a healthy life with....we pay in more ways than one!

That is why Jesus kicks out the money from his fathers house!

Yep religion is proving itself right now in the world...as I see it...there is truth to God..Just have to open the book, and look at the world we now live in...on its way to destruction no doubt, because they do not do as God said, those who say they believe....and have not done anything to cause God to turn back and help..are nothing more than liars...
And they say they do not believe now, and that there is no God...

With out God there is no order, no control over the mind of evil chaos...which has also shown itself in humankind..

This evil seems to exist throughout this worlds time line.
It is constantly being reborn to some degree, and is the same all the time...same spirits...same people...same faces!
It is a ugly entity...or entities...and I have to point at it and ask why is it they continue to be over long periods of time?

Now because this evil is in the world, is no doubt another proof that something transends time and space of a certain mindset that is opposite to God's word and will.
Wonder why?

That is the proof one needs to examine now...for it is tangable, it is real, and it is unholy!
The complete opposite of Good.

Yep religion is based on that too....those who do not God's will, are not God's children....but they can change when the truth is spoken because God has given them a brain to think things out!...and so we have the oppertuninty to become a Greator Good for all life..and save face with God by saving them other living things God made, and loves!...Like Noah...and Jesus says God loves the Birds...how much more is he Going to love those who do his will and fulfill his words?

Our action speak to them, and God...they learn us, as we learn and treat them...all things can be tamed, and shown love by way of a clean and healthy enviroment we can create for them, and out compassion and true caring for all things God made....
But that we have not, is only showing we disrespect not only ourselves, but all life , if we continue to use the IDOL and the dead blood told not to have or make or touch...and pollute this world mindlessly..

So we can see now with open eyes and hearing ears...that they are now waring and murdering people, oppressing nations, underhandedly setting up bent democracies, and slanted economies...faudulent and crocked banking systems...all for false Profits and illegal gains in the game of death they got going on!.
And it is all supported by the taxed hand....yep!

So...religion to me is truth of all that...and one more thing...Just before the end times....People will reopen the Bible and other books...and they will see, and know, and try ...and in that effort God will turn back and help....and we will fix the earth, and share, and be kind to one another, and have respect for each other...and we will push the evil out into the fire of purification using truth as a sharp weapon...because we will see all things..and know all things...and in the knowing "do" the righteous thing God said to do in the beginning of time!...for it is the only way to life eternal!

It is Nobler to seek truth before all else.

God has Given us a world with out end...if we follow the instruction that keep it so!
Genesis 2:15 and 9:3 are telling us something!...Before mind, beforehand, or action!
Let Us Do!...and in the doing Share...because look at what God has done..."I give you everything"...See God shares with out judgment!...we should be like God if we are his children...or want to be!

Last edited by Sir Les; 05-01-2010 at 06:05 AM..

Old 05-01-2010, 06:01 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,563,894 times
Quote:
The GOOD part of it??

Religion and the Christian church in particular has been responsible for more evil acts than any other entity in the world. Granted often the government and church were entwined in authoritarian efforts but no group has ever withstood the trials of time better than those with the power. The crusades wiped out hundreds of thousands for simply differing beliefs.

For more than a thousand years the church required infant baptism. When ordinary folks began to doubt that kind of requirement and their attendance/donations began to falter the church made it optional. The scripture is still there but is never mentioned in that way.

For many thousands of years the church conducted witch hunts and tortured and put to death a conservative estimate of 100,000 innocent young women because they had been accused of witchcraft. When the general population caught on to the fact that there is no such thing as a witch the church backed away and shut up. The scripture is still there.

For milleniums the church supported slavery, often accomodated it. When ordinary folks realized slavery is a practice for which there is no justification...guess what? The church backed away and never mentions the numerous scriptures in the bible which would lend support to the practice.

Now the thing is hell itself. After millions of preachers preaching hundreds of millions of hell fire and brimstone sermons and the very concept of eternal torture and misery for individual making mistakes while living their lives has become extremely distasteful to the common man they are adamant in their insistance that it's all been errors in translation and are now preaching that hell is merely the eternal separation of man from god. All the scripture is still there but once again they have changed their position.

The church owns more real property in this world than any other entity except the governments. The Vatican City has a building which covers blocks and is loaded with rare treasures and art works which conservatively are worth hundreds of billions of dollars. All this while more than 900,000,000 humans are starving to death or suffering from the effects of malnutrition. By default the starving are mostly children.

George W. Bush said he prayed for two weeks and that god told him to invade Iraq. There had never been a suicide bombing in the history of that country. After the invasion and the beginning of the bombings over two million people fled from Iraq to Syria and Jordon. A conservative estimate of innocent collaterals who have lost their lives in Iraq is 150,000...and be sure and add the more than 4,000 young Americans who lost their lives there.

You want me to say something GOOD about the church??

Last edited by Melvin.George; 05-01-2010 at 06:23 AM..

Old 05-01-2010, 08:28 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,251,945 times
Quote:
why dont you do the research yourself you have the internet-not all religion's beleive in hell!!

Old 05-01-2010, 08:50 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,634,823 times
Quote:
It appears from your various threads that you don't think much of religion. Yet you accept the idea of hell?

Old 05-01-2010, 09:11 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,664,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
It appears from your various threads that you don't think much.
More like it. ^

Old 05-01-2010, 10:59 AM

360 posts, read 444,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
The GOOD part of it??

Religion and the Christian church in particular has been responsible for more evil acts than any other entity in the world. Granted often the government and church were entwined in authoritarian efforts but no group has ever withstood the trials of time better than those with the power. The crusades wiped out hundreds of thousands for simply differing beliefs.

For more than a thousand years the church required infant baptism. When ordinary folks began to doubt that kind of requirement and their attendance/donations began to falter the church made it optional. The scripture is still there but is never mentioned in that way.

For many thousands of years the church conducted witch hunts and tortured and put to death a conservative estimate of 100,000 innocent young women because they had been accused of witchcraft. When the general population caught on to the fact that there is no such thing as a witch the church backed away and shut up. The scripture is still there.

For milleniums the church supported slavery, often accomodated it. When ordinary folks realized slavery is a practice for which there is no justification...guess what? The church backed away and never mentions the numerous scriptures in the bible which would lend support to the practice.

Now the thing is hell itself. After millions of preachers preaching hundreds of millions of hell fire and brimstone sermons and the very concept of eternal torture and misery for individual making mistakes while living their lives has become extremely distasteful to the common man they are adamant in their insistance that it's all been errors in translation and are now preaching that hell is merely the eternal separation of man from god. All the scripture is still there but once again they have changed their position.

The church owns more real property in this world than any other entity except the governments. The Vatican City has a building which covers blocks and is loaded with rare treasures and art works which conservatively are worth hundreds of billions of dollars. All this while more than 900,000,000 humans are starving to death or suffering from the effects of malnutrition. By default the starving are mostly children.

George W. Bush said he prayed for two weeks and that god told him to invade Iraq. There had never been a suicide bombing in the history of that country. After the invasion and the beginning of the bombings over two million people fled from Iraq to Syria and Jordon. A conservative estimate of innocent collaterals who have lost their lives in Iraq is 150,000...and be sure and add the more than 4,000 young Americans who lost their lives there.

You want me to say something GOOD about the church??
Melvin, yet again, you're twisting reality. Religion has been the cause of far, far, far less deaths over thousands of years than Communistic, Nazi Germany, and Nationalist China did over 100 years. A few million deaths TOPS for religion versus over 100,000,000 for the regimes I mentioned:

http://www.newscholars.com/papers/Killing,%20Christianity,%20and%20Atheism.pdf (broken link)

And what "church" are you referring to? The Catholic Church? Obviously that's what you mean, but that would be the Church, the Church, not just any denomination.

You do not back up any of your accusations, any, with real proof at all and in several cases it seems you simply make this stuff up! And you really cannot blame the Church for something George Bush decided to do -- as fas as I know, the Church does not even support the war in Iraq and Bush isn't a Catholic!

Please, come back here to discuss when you have some real facts or at least something to back up your claims.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:28 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,563,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioanKid View Post
Melvin, yet again, you're twisting reality. Religion has been the cause of far, far, far less deaths over thousands of years than Communistic, Nazi Germany, and Nationalist China did over 100 years. A few million deaths TOPS for religion versus over 100,000,000 for the regimes I mentioned:

http://www.newscholars.com/papers/Killing,%20Christianity,%20and%20Atheism.pdf (broken link)

And what "church" are you referring to? The Catholic Church? Obviously that's what you mean, but that would be the Church, the Church, not just any denomination.

You do not back up any of your accusations, any, with real proof at all and in several cases it seems you simply make this stuff up! And you really cannot blame the Church for something George Bush decided to do -- as fas as I know, the Church does not even support the war in Iraq and Bush isn't a Catholic!

Please, come back here to discuss when you have some real facts or at least something to back up your claims.
You're the one who offers no proof. Do you deny that the church(not just Catholics) supported slavery for thousands of years? Would you like for me to post the scriptures in both the OT and NT which condoned and accomodated slavery? How about the requirement of baptism? My son's three children were each one baptized by the Presbyterians at age six months even now that most no longer require it.

Surely you know about "Thou Shalt Not Suffer A Witch To Live" and the witch hunts which endured across centuries. Do you deny the Crusades?

George W. Bush did indeed say that god told him to invade Iraq.

The sermons about hell fire and brimstone are a no brainer...that was still going on all through my childhood. I've personally heard dozens of them...some at funerals. You know...using a death to get to young people and other heathens.

Now what about the churches owning more real property than any other entity except the government itself? Are you not aware that one of every six on this planet are starving or suffering from the complications of malnutrition?

Do you doubt that the Vatican owns hundreds of billions of dollars worth of art, jewelry and other preservations it acquired over the centuries?

You sir are the one in denial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality