Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 11:52 AM

433 posts, read 587,236 times

Advertisements

No, atheists aren't interested in believing religion and its God.

But religiously brainwashed people always got questions and want to go out and convert. That's why we are here talking about their religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 12:22 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic235 View Post
No, atheists aren't interested in believing religion and its God.

But religiously brainwashed people always got questions and want to go out and convert. That's why we are here talking about their religion.
Right on! Not once in my life have I ever heard an atheist or agnostic start a discussion about religion in a group. It's always the bible thumping group which initiates something about faith or religion. Like I said before...I can't even attend a building dedication or a car race without having to listen to one.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:39 PM

360 posts, read 444,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Right on! Not once in my life have I ever heard an atheist or agnostic start a discussion about religion in a group. It's always the bible thumping group which initiates something about faith or religion. Like I said before...I can't even attend a building dedication or a car race without having to listen to one.
Did Vic not start this dicussion?

Umm...

Old 05-01-2010, 12:48 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,249,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioanKid View Post

Umm...
yeah and not just this one but many more and to be honest- nothing positive to be gained

Old 05-01-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioanKid View Post

Umm...
Of course I was talking about in public...you know live.

As a matter of fact the Internet and discussion groups like this will represent the beginning of the end for all religion. Parents can keep on brainwashing them when they are infants but with intelligent intercourse occurring 24/7 where folks can use stage names it will not endure. I won't live to see it but the end of all superstitious mythology is coming.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:04 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Which "religion"? There are rather a few of them out there, you know. Since there has always been religion (or at least spirituality, whether organized or not) in societies as far as we can tell (even prehistorically/pre-written records), making a correlation between organized religion and power is like making a correlation between carbon-based bipeds and power. "Oh my god! EVERY war has been started by at least one carbon-based biped!" No kidding, are ya sure?

So you may want to narrow down exactly what you're talking about when you say "religion." I gather you must at least mean organized religion (which is its own "thing" and isn't necessarily basic faith, and does indeed seem to be more of a "power" institution in many cultures than spirituality without organized religion per se). Okay, so if it's organized religion...you're talking about Christianity, then? Because not all religions have a hell, at least not a burning-brimstone one. If it's Christianity, are you speaking of the Catholic church specifically? Because I hear the Inquisition being mentioned.

To spread it out to "religion" being this terrible thing is so broad you practically can't miss. Good if you want to win an argument, bad if you want to be right about your argument.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Which "religion"? There are rather a few of them out there, you know. Since there has always been religion (or at least spirituality, whether organized or not) in societies as far as we can tell (even prehistorically/pre-written records), making a correlation between organized religion and power is like making a correlation between carbon-based bipeds and power. "Oh my god! EVERY war has been started by at least one carbon-based biped!" No kidding, are ya sure?

So you may want to narrow down exactly what you're talking about when you say "religion." I gather you must at least mean organized religion (which is its own "thing" and isn't necessarily basic faith, and does indeed seem to be more of a "power" institution in many cultures than spirituality without organized religion per se). Okay, so if it's organized religion...you're talking about Christianity, then? Because not all religions have a hell, at least not a burning-brimstone one. If it's Christianity, are you speaking of the Catholic church specifically? Because I hear the Inquisition being mentioned.

To spread it out to "religion" being this terrible thing is so broad you practically can't miss. Good if you want to win an argument, bad if you want to be right about your argument.
Superstition and mythology will not stand. The premise of resurrection or reincarnation is such a load of BS it's days are numbered. Nobody's ever come back from the dead...that's why they call it dead.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Superstition and mythology will not stand.
Well, that may be true. Or it may not be...We as humans do love mythology. We just do. We're creative that way.

As far as whether an end to superstition will mean the end to any type of spirituality, I don't necessarily know that to be true. Spirituality and organized religion are two different things. I believe we're in an evolution this way (as in all ways) and will eventually come to more intelligent than emotion-driven understanding of spirituality. That's just my personal belief. I think we'll throw off the training wheels and no longer need "organized" religion.

JMO. But myths and stories and tales? They will ALWAYS stand. We love them! We're human. For as long as anyone can tell given the evidence, we've always sat around fires and told stories and loved all of them. Archetypially (ugh, not a word...can't think of the word I'm reaching for right now), they all pretty much do contain some human-nature truths. It's sometimes easier to see an analogy than to pick something apart literally and so stories will always stand...IMO. And we'll always love them.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Superstition and mythology will not stand. The premise of resurrection or reincarnation is such a load of BS it's days are numbered. Nobody's ever come back from the dead...that's why they call it dead.
Also...I'm sorry, but although you quoted my post specifically, I don't believe you answered anything that was addressed in it. Did you make a mistake in quoting my post specifically? Or do you have ideas on it?

Old 05-01-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Also...I'm sorry, but although you quoted my post specifically, I don't believe you answered anything that was addressed in it. Did you make a mistake in quoting my post specifically? Or do you have ideas on it?
Let it go. I've stated my position on all aspects of faith, religion, beliefs, religious organizations, the ministry, missionaries, religious schools, the brainwashing of infants and small children, free loading southern preachers, those who claim jesus or god or the holy spirit has appeared to them, those who pray, those who pray without fasting or annointing their hair, foot washers, snake handlers, Merry War lye drinkers, miracle workers, rain dancers, offering skimmers, TV evangelists, bare faced liars and Jesus Freaks.

Selah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality